300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 for duty carry?

What are the PROS and CONS of carrying a 1911 on duty? Who does and why?

With my department's liberal firearms policy, I am seriously thinking of going BACK to carrying a 1911(mainly due to the presence of a manual safety). I currently carry a Glock. I am very familiar with and confident with a 1911, I've just never been 'allowed' to carry one on duty before.

Serious comments, please. TIA
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

You realize the 1911 will have to have some work done on the barrel, barrel bushing and spring in order to create an accurate weapon?

Too much play otherwise and the barrel will wobble badly if that bushing is not seated right or if the armorer does not machine the replacement bushing just right.

There is an increase in bullet mass but a loss in velocity. This is a critical area of usage to consider.

Increasing amount of grains would kickup the velocity but the culumtive overpressure would take its toll on the springs and fatique the barrel.

To bring that 1911 up to speed for todays duty requirements would be expensive, most likely as much as a good Glock.

I carried the 1911 for 21 years (I have pulled it out of a rice paddy muck and fired it/ Fired it in heavy moonsoon...always worked )

Jim Burnes

Comment

I love 1911's and have become much more efficient with it than my Glock. Sure you need might have to take it to the gunsmith for some work after a while but my Kimber has shot perfectly accurate out of the box and I have not had a single miss fire. Maybe I'm just lucky but I like 1911's.

Comment

I think the 1911's are great! Our patrol guys are allowed to carry them and we have some that do but us SWAT guys are are mandated to carry the G35 I like the G35 but my Kimber is a sweet shooting gun.

The biggest thing from going to a Glock to a 1911 is the safety manipulation. You get so used to drawing and firing that sometimes it doesn't go bang because the safety is on. You have less rounds per magazine. The biggest con to carrying a 1911 is the citizens that walk up to you and tell you, "Sir, did you know your gun was cocked?" I always look around for kids when I get ready to reply! LOL

To overcome the problems
        1. Make sure you train with it alot before taking it on patrol
        2. Hit the bad guy with the first round. They do have mag pouches that allow you to carry four mags per pouch.
        3. I'll leave that to your discreation!
        Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Today's 1911's are far and away NOT the guns pulled out of rice patties. Not even close. Check out 1911forum.com and ask the LEO's opinions there.
          http://kmags.mybrute.com/ My guy can kick your guy's butt!

Comment

Here is a good article on the topic of 1911's for duty use.

http://www.10-8performance.com/id8.html
            The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

I'm surprised no one has provided a link to this article yet.

Good info.

Comment

Originally posted by Surf View Post
                Here is a good article on the topic of 1911's for duty use.

Ah, beat me to it!

Comment

Para Ordnance LDA means Light Double Action = means hammer is always down.

I never carry it with the safety on - don't need to (hammer always down - remember?).

Double stack mags = 14+1 of .45ACP = plenty of boom power.

Accurate, smooth, and reliable, and doesn't have the "cocked and locked" issues.

Been carrying mine for five or six years.

(Did I mention that I LOVE my ParaOrd?)

"Yes sir, I know you have rights."
                  "In fact, I know your rights better than you do!"

Comment

Read everything there is to read on 10-8.

They are the collective experts on the 1911 as a LEO duty platform.

If you have questions, sign up, get verified and they will be happy to answer.
                    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

I actually just ordered a 1911 not to long ago and plan on switching out my Sig 220 for a 1911 on duty. Like any other gun it takes some training and familiarization but I don't see why anyone would have a problem with carrying a 1911 on duty.

Someone brought up accuracy earlier. The 1911's being produced today are fantastic guns. Typically they produce tighter groups than Glocks (mainly due to tolerances), and if taken care of are solid guns.

I think the main drawback is maintenance. You are going to have to put more of it into a 1911. They just require a tad more care because the tolerances are tight and don't allow for a lot.

As for rounds I dont think its a huge drawback. The gun I carry now only has 8 round mags so I dont think its a huge issue.

These are just my $.02. Pick your 1911 wisely, there are a lot of great choices out there.

Comment

I carry a SIG 1911, its the most accurate pistol I've ever shot and I've shot and own several. As stated above, todays 1911's are as far beyond those service grade 1911's issued to the military 40 years ago as a Ford Pinto is to a modern day Mustang. There is no comparison.

As for why I chose my particular 1911. Well I used to carry a Glock. I loved everything about the Glock except for the trigger which try as I might I couldn't get over the little "springy detent" feel. I made the switch and I could not be happier. It works 100%, has a fantastic trigger, and its more accurate than I am capable of shooting.
                        People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Burnes View Post
                          You realize the 1911 will have to have some work done on the barrel, barrel bushing and spring in order to create an accurate weapon?

Too much play otherwise and the barrel will wobble badly if that bushing is not seated right or if the armorer does not machine the replacement bushing just right.

Jim Burnes

Not necessarily. I use shoot 2 Kimbers and have not experienced any of what you refer to. 2 of the most accurate, out of the box, pistols I've ever shot.
                          David Bailey Photography | Bailey Tactical

sigpic

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor satan shudders and says oh hell he's awake!"

Comment

good info here, my only complaint is your gonna pony up a pretty good chunk of change getting either a standard one worked enough to be duty-reliable, or to purchase what is practically a custom weapon in order for it to be as reliable as a Glock, Sig etc..but if you dont mind it and dont mind the low mag capacity, you almost cant find a better handgun, IMO.
                            In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

If the safety is your main reason for considering the switch, you might also consider the Smith M&P and Springfield XD models that have the manual safety.

"A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12740 users online. 486 members and 12254 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X