300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home protection

I was interested in purchasing a handgun for my home. I have never owned a gun and was looking for some advice on what to purchase ie: brands, caliber, semiauto or revolver etc. My brother is a police officer and has a glock .45 and he says I wouldnt need something that large but he loves the glock. Any help you could give would be appreciated.

For home protection I'd have to say that a 9mm would be plenty. So look at Glock or Smith, a model that is somewhat "cheap" in relation to others that are made for street work.

Comment

Originally posted by edgar:
      [B]I was interested in purchasing a handgun for my home. I have never owned a gun and was looking for some advice on what to purchase B]

If this is the case you probably haven't shot a handgun much and probably won't shoot the one you buy very much. Following along those lines,(if you're determined to get a handgun) I would recommend a revolver. That way you don't have to worry about mag springs getting weak, malfunctions of an auto, etc. I'd buy a 357 mag, then start out with 38cal loads. Smith & Wesson makes a good product (too many models to list), so does Ruger. If the thing is just going to sit there you probably won't want to spend the $$$ for those, opt for a Taurus, maybe a model 85. Good gun and you can pick one up pretty cheap.

All that aside, for a person not familiar with guns who only wants something for home defense I would first recommend a shotgun. You can pick up a single shot 12ga for under $100, saw the barrel off w/a hacksaw (legal length of course) and load it with #6 or #4 shot. Perfect home defense weapon. You can cover your hallway by just pointing it and there is very little chance of going through walls and hurting someone you don't mean to hurt.

------------------
      "Trust me. I'm from the government, I'm here to help."
      "Trust me. I'm from the government, I'm here to help."

Comment

Thanks for the advice. If I get a handgun I am going to take a saftey instruction course but the advice about getting a shotgun makes a lot of sense, thanks again.

Comment

Another plus for the shotgun is that some drugged up psycho probably won't keep coming after getting hit with a shotgun blast even if it's not placed perfectly. A bad shot with a handgun might not stop someone extremely motivated. But in the case of a handgun, I agree with Ken, a .357 revolver is a great gun. You can't go wrong with a Smith & Wesson .357

Comment

Go for the 357, a shotgun is not as easy to grab and sculk with especially in the dark. And if you hit him he will stop. I have seen perks shot as many as 6 times with 9mm and not go down. Have never seen more than 2 357 to stop anyone. This may be good or bad but a revolver is easier for the wife to shoot also.

Comment

Gotta go along with the DA revolver crowd on this one.

IMHO, the K-frame sized revolver in .357 mag with a 3 or 4 inch barrel is the perfect home defense weapon for the "non-gun" type of person. It is simple, safe, effective, and 99.999% reliable.

The ammunition choices are plentiful and should fit every need. You can develop marksmanship skills and have fun plinking using very low recoil .38 wadcutters. You can feel confident of the stopping power afforded by 125 grain .357 magnum loads. You can get the best of both worlds by using +P or +P+ .38 ammo as a defensive load yet with less recoil than a full power .357 load.

These guns are plentiful and relatively inexpensive on the pre-owned market.

You can't go wrong with a good D/A revolver. I prefer the Smith and Wessons but Taurus is also a solid choice. In my experience the trigger pulls on the Rugers have been less than excellent but they are still a quality weapon. Of course, a Colt Python is still the Cadillac of .357's but they ain't free!

Good luck,
              G.A.

------------------
              No cops, know anarchy.

"He aint finna come all up in my house and act a fool and be gettin away with it cause I will go smooth off." -Movista
              No cops, know anarchy.

"He aint finna come all up in my house and act a fool and be gettin away with it cause I will go smooth off." -Movista

Comment

IMHO the shotgun is a better choice for someone who is relatively unfamiliar with guns. While the DA revolver is exceedingly simple to use and easier to conceal in the home, the penetrating power can be devastating if you miss the person you are aiming at.

The chances of killing the baby sleeping in it
                6P1 (retired)

Comment

How many wives can get a shotgun in a bad situation, rack it hoping to scare the perk then use it like we trained guys can. If you are afraid of the baby, or nieghbor , or kid down the street getting hurt in defense of your home and lives, use a ball bat.

Comment

Originally posted by radar:
                    How many wives can get a shotgun in a bad situation,
                    radar,

Try telling that to MY wife. You might just find a ball bat placed where the sun never shines!

IMHO If the person can't handle the weapon, they should not have it.

------------------
                    "If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around." Will Rogers
                    6P1 (retired)
                    6P1 (retired)

Comment

Don I do not think you read my post very well, lots of folks men and women are not comfortable using a shotgun. Some women can do better than men with both, but the majority cannot.

Comment

radar,

No offense meant. However I think we can agree to disagree on this one.

[This message has been edited by Don (edited 03-13-2001).]
                        6P1 (retired)

Comment

IMHO, there are some problems with using a shotgun for home defense.

A shotgun is a shoulder fired weapon, therefore it takes two hands to operate. It is very difficult to operate a light switch, open or close doors, dial a telephone, or use a flashlight, while still maintaining an efficient level of readiness.

Because of the size of a shotgun, it is much more prone to be taken away from the home owner. Particularly someone with little or no weapons retention training. Hallways, bathrooms, and stairways make maneuvering difficult.

Contrary to popular beliefs, it is very easy to miss with a shotgun. The idea of simply pointing a shotgun in the general direction of a BG and reliably mowing him down is a myth. And if you miss with a shotgun, its the same as missing with an entire magazine in a pistol. Depending on the load used, you have SEVERAL projectiles to account for, not just one.

Slugs and buck shot pellets will penetrate residential walls just as thoroughly as any handgun caliber. Bird shot, while potentially devastating at very close range, is notoriously ineffective at longer distances. A shot across a living room or down the hallway is highly unlikely to have the desired effect, and dramatically increases the number of projectiles likely to miss the target.

The manual of arms for most defensive shotguns is somewhat complicated for the non-gun person. Pumps and semi-autos require training and practice to remain proficient. Double barrels and over and unders, while certainly better than a sharp stick, are not really conducive to defensive work.

A social shotgun loaded with effective ammunition produces recoil that is almost certain to daunt and intimidate the non gun person. This amounts to flinching, reluctance to practice, and MISSES!

While I agree that a properly set up shotgun in properly trained hands is a highly effective weapon, I stand by my position that a good DA revolver is the best choice for the "non-gun" home owner.

G.A.

------------------
                          No cops, know anarchy.

No cops, know anarchy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4797 users online. 219 members and 4578 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X