NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Who makes the best AR chambered in 308.???

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moose7289
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2008

Who makes the best AR chambered in 308.???

Okay so i read the "So you want to buy an ar ? thread... i was just trying to see who makes the best one chambered in 308? 16 inch barrel? that isnt too pricey? And can i get a link ?

thanks
    If your going to be a Bear you might as well be a GRIZZLY

Looking for Guidance feel free to assist me in my search............
  • Blackdog F4i
    Oh no, it's da Po-Po
    • May 2006

Originally posted by moose7289
    Okay so i read the "So you want to buy an ar ? thread... i was just trying to see who makes the best one chambered in 308? 16 inch barrel? that isnt too pricey? And can i get a link ?
    No one.

you are going to spend quite a bit, then even more to feed it.

Semiauto .308's are expensive. I prefer the Armalite AR-10. The DPMS LR-308 is also popular. Either one is going to cost you.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• Fëanor
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2006

Blackdog is right; they are expensive. And there will be no "best." There may be, however, a rifle that has exactly the features you need.

Armalite is a great brand IMO because they do not just pump out the same old junk as everyone else with their brand stamped on it. Armalite is always tweaking the platform to see where improvements can be made.

This is the cheapest AR-10 that Armalite sells and it runs at ~$1500

A bit cheaper and possibly the most common that I've seen is DPMS. They do have a lot of different configurations. This bare-bones 16" sporting model lacks an ejection port cover/forward assist/shell deflector but it is available for ~$1000:

And it seems to be a little less popular than the other 2 mentioned but Rock River Arms also has .308 AR's, they call them their LAR-8 line. Price is just under ~$1200
      Rock River Arms, Inc. offers a complete line of American made, custom built AR15 style rifles.

But make sure you don't forget the true cost: ammo. If you want to shoot new factory ammo it will cost you anywhere from ~$1.00-$2.50 per round. If you get a deal on some surplus ammo you can get it for just over $0.50 per round.
      Last edited by Fëanor; 09-11-2008, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• Omega_556
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2008

Noveske Rifleworks sells one, it is approx $3400.

Comment

• David Hineline
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2006

If money has a limit then DPMS is the only answer.

Of course the Knight's Armament is the best when not considering cost.

Comment

• Blackdog F4i
            Oh no, it's da Po-Po
            • May 2006

If money was not a consideration I would have a Noveske Leonidas.
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• boomstik45
              Forum Member
              • Feb 2006

Nobody!!! Because The Ar Sucks With Its Direct Impingement System, And What Do You Think Will Happen With A More Powerful Round? Hahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Comment

• boomstik45
                Forum Member
                • Feb 2006

Just kidding. I'd go for a DPMS myself. No, they don't make JWise's hallowed "good AR-15" list in 5.56, but I've heard nothing but good about them. Of course, I don't qualify for the holy Ar-15 group, so I don't know what the **** I'm talking about....

Comment

• Surf
                  24/7/365
                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by boomstik45
                  so I don't know what the **** I'm talking about....
                  Agreed.

The DPMS has been having quite a few issues. We just sent a brand new .308 SASS back as a matter of fact.
                  The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Omega_556
                    Forum Member
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by boomstik45
                    Nobody!!! Because The Ar Sucks With Its Direct Impingement System,
                    I think you are a victim of hype...

And What Do You Think Will Happen With A More Powerful Round? Hahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!
                    1st a more powerful round doesn't necessarily equate to higher chamber pressures, 2nd you could always reduce the size of the gas port...

Comment

• JTShooter
                      Sheepdog
                      • Jun 2006

I agree with the Noveske. Never had any issues with the one I played with in Afghanistan.

boomstick... are you alright?
                      “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

• Mstangfk
                        big holes
                        • Aug 2006

Armalite IMO
                        In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

• GGG
                          Forum Member
                          • Feb 2007

The best .308 AR is a DS Arms FAL.

I was trying to decide between a DPMS .308 or a FAL. I am intimitely familiar with AR's, so I went DSA FAL to have something different. Plus it looks "sexier".

Comment

• Monty Ealerman
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by GGG
                            The best .308 AR is a DS Arms FAL.

I was trying to decide between a DPMS .308 or a FAL. I am intimitely familiar with AR's, so I went DSA FAL to have something different. Plus it looks "sexier".
                            Those are outstanding.

The SA58TAC Tactical Carbine has a 16.25" barrel, and is listed by DSARMS at $1650. The SA58ELITE is listed at $1910. The SA58SPR runs close to $5000.

Comment

• Fëanor
                              Forum Member
                              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by GGG
                              I am intimitely familiar with AR's, so I went DSA FAL to have something different. Plus it looks "sexier".
                              Always a good idea to broaden your horizons. I always like knowing another type of firearm just in case when the SHTF that is the only one available. It would suck to be in a life-or-death situation, pick up a gun off the ground, and not know how to use it!

I gotta say, though, for $5000 you would think they would advertise with a little more detail than "Premium Barrel" on those FALs. Is it Stainless? Chrome moly? Chrome-lined? Unobtainium?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17348 users online. 29 members and 17319 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...