300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy firearm question

I am currently in the academy and will have firearms in Jan. We have to use a Glock 17 to qualify with. I have 3 1911's that I shoot all the time. I have never shot a glock. I would like to shoot a glock for a little while before we qualify but I don't want to buy one. Is there anyway I can get some practice in before Jan?

You won't need it. You get a ton of trigger time.

Comment

Like he said, you will get plenty of practice in the Academy. If it is really tearing you up. Find a range that rents Glocks and go burn up a few boxes of ammo. A Glock is a different animal from a 1911, but trigger time is trigger time. All the principles of marksmanship are the same.

Comment

The biggest difference is they index differently. You have to make sure you are aligning the sights. Other than that it's no big deal.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Most ranges will rent pistols for like $10 so long as you buy their ammo.

Comment

Wow you guys must have some nice ranges to have them rent out pistols. Here they are just fields with benches
            "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

Academy firearm question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am currently in the academy and will have firearms in Jan. We have to use a Glock 17 to qualify with. I have 3 1911's that I shoot all the time. I have never shot a glock. I would like to shoot a glock for a little while before we qualify but I don't want to buy one. Is there anyway I can get some practice in before Jan?
              As has already been mentioned, if you are already familiar with the basics of shooting, transitioning from the 1911 to the Glock isn't going to be too difficult for you. I did the same thing you're going to go through. I'm a die-hard 1911 man. Over 35 years experience with them. My current department doesn't allow single action weapons, and have a very short list of acceptable weapons, the Glock being on the top, so I first purchased the G23. 9MM is IMHO not an effective round when you're on your own, and I couldn't quite get the grip on the G21. Anyhow, the difference is simply in the trigger. It's definately a step back from a Wilson Custom Tuned Combat I carried, but after about 500 rounds, two things happened for me. The trigger got a little smoother (noticably so after about 200 round) and secondly, I got the feel for the reset position. Ended up qualifying top of my class.

About 1 1/2 years ago, I transitioned to the G21SF and haven't looked back. I actually purchased the G30 as a BUG and Off-Duty carry. I tricked out my G23 and now use that in GSSF competition. It's no longer safe to carry on duty.

I'd recommend the same, go to a range that rents them shoot a couple boxes of ammo to get the initial feel. You're going to get plenty of pratice at the academy range before you go through qualification. Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4063 users online. 226 members and 3837 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X