300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glock Phase 3 Malfunction

I just bought a Glock 19 for off duty and now I am reading about Phase 3 malfunctions that occured in New York. I have not even fired the pistol yet, and I am wondering if anybody out there is having problems with their Glock 19? My 40 cal Glock,(Duty Gun) had two failure to feed problems on the qualification range. Does anybody know what might have caused that? I have been shooting for years and don't think it was shooter error.

The NYPD uses a heavier trigger spring and a heavier connector, and as a result it is supposed to bring the gun out of spec thus causing "BAD THINGS" such as phase 3 failures.

Stock Glock 19's, with the standard trigger spring and connector, do not suffer from such issues with any frequency, if ever.

What generation followers in your magazines are you using and what ammo did you have the FTF with?

Comment

My glock 19 converted to auto will do this all the time with Winchester 115 ammo with someone who is not used to shooting the gun and limp wristing it.

Going to 124grain Nato pressure ammo and no problems.

Comment

What generation followers in your magazines are you using and what ammo did you have the FTF with?[/QUOTE]

The Glock 40 cal is only about 4 years old, and has not been shot very much at all. The ammo is Winchester. The ammo does not seem to stick up in the mag like it does with the 9mm. I was wondering if that could be the problem.

Comment

Buy new magazines and try using Black Hills ammo to see if it cures the problem.

Comment

The ones in New York that you are reading about have to do with the rear guide rails failing, at least thats what I read when it happened to my duty 22. There was 9mm and .40 that were made and the rear guides were machined thinner than normal. They had issues with them but never did a "recall", just if the SN# was in a certain range they would fix it. Mine was in that range and they both broke off during range quals. the force of the round going off and the break, bowed the slide just above the backstrap of the pistol. Check online there are many sites that have info about this.

Comment

Originally posted by perks View Post
              The ones in New York that you are reading about have to do with the rear guide rails failing, at least thats what I read when it happened to my duty 22. There was 9mm and .40 that were made and the rear guides were machined thinner than normal. They had issues with them but never did a "recall", just if the SN# was in a certain range they would fix it. Mine was in that range and they both broke off during range quals. the force of the round going off and the break, bowed the slide just above the backstrap of the pistol. Check online there are many sites that have info about this.

That was the "E" series "issue".

If your gun has an E serial number call and check to see if you are in the number range that had the problem.

Comment

The problems you are having with your duty gun is most likely from limp wristing. Unfortunately the Glock in .40 must be gripped pretty well to function reliably. Just another thought, by chance, do you have a tac light mounted on it as well?
                People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

I've had 2 different 19's, with about 5000 rounds through the first and about 1000 through the most current, and I've never had 1 malfunction.

Comment

Originally posted by R12GS View Post
                    The problems you are having with your duty gun is most likely from limp wristing. Unfortunately the Glock in .40 must be gripped pretty well to function reliably. Just another thought, by chance, do you have a tac light mounted on it as well?
                    No, I do not have a tac light on the pistol. I guess I could have limp wristed it, but I have fired the gun since 2004 and have not had the FTF problem before.

Comment

It's my understanding that the NYPD problems were caused by the NY2 trigger spring putting upward pressure on the slide during the firing cycle. Combined with under-lubrication and possibly underpowered ammunition, they managed to get a failure rate of about 1 in 20,000.

The change to 124 grain +P+ ammunition along with a modification to the gun itself solved this. Look at the front locking surface on your barrel, if it's angled, you have the "new" part.

With your .40, make sure you have the newest generation of mags/followers. Weak mag springs can be an issue in the .40, keep them fresh, also.

bc

Comment

Ya mine had the E at the start of the SN#. Sgt gave me a new one, without the "E"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5554 users online. 307 members and 5247 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X