300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skeet Shooting

Today was the first time I shot skeet. What a blast! I tell them I never shot skeet before so they set me up with a guy who was and instructor. I really had no preconceived ideas how I would do other than miss a heck of a lot. With the instructors help I was shooting above 80%. Used my Win 20g at first with a mod choke and disintigrated things with it most times. Ran out of ammo and got my home defense mossy out and the only time I missed was on a double because I forgot it was a double. LOL!!!! The best part was it only cost $3 for an hours worth of fun plus ammo and gas to get there. Cheaper than golf.

BTW What is the difference between skeet and trap?
    sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

I dunno. I have shot one or the other before.

I think it was "trap" since they launched the clays out of a "trap" in the ground. It was fun as hell.

At our last 3-gun they had steel poppers that launched a clay when you dropped them. That was a kick. I forgot how much fun it was to shoot stuff flying through the air.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Skeet is about repetition and timing as the flying disks always fly exactly the same place and pattern and the same speed.

Trap is longer distance and the flying disk can come out at any angle as the launcher sweeps left to right back and forth.

Sporting clays is supposed to more closely simulate hunting, where the disks fly ever which way, towards you. straight up, over your head from behind you, rolling bounching across the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by David Hineline View Post
        Sporting clays is supposed to more closely simulate hunting, where the disks fly ever which way, towards you. straight up, over your head from behind you, rolling bounching across the ground.
        Yup, sporting clays is my favorite way to waste a bunch of lead shot.

Comment

A friend of mine is a champion clay target shooter. He uses hearing aids these days. Please remember that adequate hearing protection is a part of the safety precautions necessary for this sport.

Comment

Originally posted by David Hineline View Post
            Skeet is about repetition and timing as the flying disks always fly exactly the same place and pattern and the same speed.

Trap is longer distance and the flying disk can come out at any angle as the launcher sweeps left to right back and forth.

I reckon that would make skeet grade school stuff, trap high school and sporting clays college? Sounds like even more fun for the buck.

Wish they would allow more than 2 rounds in your gun. Imagine that mossy with 8 rounds as fast as they could send the birds out.
            sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

I find trap easy, skeet was a challange untill you memorize your leads at differant stations, and sporting clays the best. It's golf with a gun. With the light loads you shoot the guns are getting lighter and lighter which makes it faster and faster. I now own more shotguns than I know what to do with because of this sport, of course you need to get the family involved and reload... For fun I sometimes run my 18in 870 with rifle sights and surefire fore end and really have fun. The only real differance is remembering to cycle the shotgun on doubles...

Comment

Best sport ever.

I don't know what it's officially called when I play this sport, I always called it shooting skeet. My buddy throws the clay pigeon and I shoot it. We decided it's too much of a PITA to bring out the pigeon thrower.

Make sure you park your car at least 50 yards behind where you will be standing. I was parked maybe 15-20 yards behind where I was standing. I shot a clay pigeon in the air, didn't get a solid hit and split the pigeon in 2. 1 of the 2 halves decided to get caught in the wind and blow behind us, SMASH right onto the hood of my car. Oops.
                Last edited by Fëanor; 09-12-2008, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Zeplin, where do you shoot around Springfield?

Fëanor, there's been more than once in sporting clays where I've been showered with bits of clay from pigeons that came in my general direction. I remember once this summer looking down the barrel as I watched the wind catch the disc and realized that I had a choice to either hit it or duck. Hope your car didn't get too messed up from the clay. Better the clay hits you car than the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by velobard View Post
                    Zeplin, where do you shoot around Springfield?

Andy Dalton Shooting Range and Outdoor Education Center

http://mdc.mo.gov/documents/area_brochures/8517map.pdf

I also shoot at a friends where we have a challenging little range setup with basically no restrictions.
                    sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

I grew up shooting skeet and trap. It is a great sport, if you reload shotshells...

In skeet I used a Winchester Model 101, for trap it was an old, old, Winchester Model 12 with either a full or extra full choke, for distance.
                      I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Sporting clays are the best. In the field with a bunch of friends at a farm - trap/skeet is fun. But I would rather shoot sporting clay courses all day....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5903 users online. 348 members and 5555 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X