Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Toy!!!!

Happy Birthday to me!

My wife semi-suprised me today with a new(to me) Remington 1100 12ga. I don't currently have a semi-auto shotgun for 3-gun and have been getting my butt kicked in the tactical class with my 870 while shooting against the auto's.

I unwrapped the box to find the wonderful "big green" logo and the smell of gun oil hit my nose. That smell is even better than coffee first thing in the morning.

I say that it's a semi-suprise because my wife knew I was looking at it in the local shop and she checked every which way to Sunday to make sure it was exactly what I wanted.

It's a beautiful 1100 that was blued (more on that later) with the scrollwork on the receiver and an 18.5" bead sighted barrel. It came with nice wood stocks with the pressed in checkering. The former owner was a deer hunter and the story goes that he managed to let a deer bleed all over the gun and didn't clean it right away. This rusted the bluing right off half the receiver. This large blemish and the fact that it was a 18.5" beaded barrel made it an odd-duck on the used rack. My local smith knew I was looking for a "social" semi-auto and that I generally modify my guns to suit my tastes. When my wife called inquiring about a gift for me, he set her up with the right item.

I didn't have it out of the box for ten minutes and I took it into the shop and threw on a Remington extended magazine and SGT high-viz follower that I had from a previous project. That will keep me in line until I can get a Scattergun Tech tube (my favorite).

Now I need to decide how I am going to refinish the metal and decide if I am going to iron out the checkering and oil-finish the stock. I know it need to cut at least 1" off the stock, but I don't know if I am going to put a rubber pad on it, or if I want to go "old-school" and put a steel buttplate on it. I also need to order one of the new Truglo TFO shotgun beads since I really don't want to ghost ring this shotgun.

The goal is to make it a "tactical" but keep the "old school cool" of the classic 1100.

Pics will be coming later this evening. Right now I have to get ready to go on a motorcycle ride with the greatest woman in the world.

Oh, and I have to give credit to my six year old son who kept the secret since April. Anyone with kids knows how amazing that is. He almost popped this morning waiting for me to open it.

Last edited by Blackdog F4i; 09-07-2008, 11:05 AM. Reason: Added image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Looks nice. Congrats!
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.

Comment

Lucky guy, Black! Congrats!

Comment

Happy Birthday!

Beautiful shotty.
        “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Happy b-day Blackdog!

Comment

Happy birthday, Blackdog. I hope your ride went well, and you were blessed with good weather. That shotty is really nice. The wood, the scroll-work, and the tactical-styled front-end all work together to make one SWEET scattergun.

I want to see closeup pics of the blemishes. What are your thoughts on that? Are you going to Duracoat it, or just re-blue it?
            J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

I am really leaning towards rebluing it since I love the blue/wood classic look. I just don't know.

I am thinking that I may put a Scattergun Tech +2 on it and send the whole deal off for a deep blue refinish. That or just plain parkerizing.

I will probably wait until I refinish the wood and see how that comes out.
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

Nice toy! Congrats!!
                "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Comment

congrats!!

Comment

Looks good. As far as the refinishing, I have heard great things about Molyresin, and will be using it shortly on my rifle.

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Blackdog!!!!

Congratulations on having a great wife, son & gun!!!

You are a lucky man!!!!
                      sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

I picked up some "Blue Wonder" bluing agent. We will see how that works.

I will get some before and after.

I am still not sure how I am going to do the stock.

Comment

1100s and 1187s are my favs for tinkering with. Grab some new springs for it and either a comp trigger assembly or a reduced trigger pull spring. Use a propane gun to sweat the metal before you cold blue it. Shorten the stock and have fun. I like limbsaver pads, but put tape around it so your clothing does not catch on the soft rubber. I set one of mine up the the whole tricked out ar-15 style setup and hated it. Now all mine have short original stocks and surefire fore-ends or 3-rail. You could also get it ported...

Comment

Also, ain't nothing wrong with the wood. Strip it and refinish it. If ya need tips ask and I'll continue. It's easy and every time ya pick it up you will remember the time and care you put in to it... ...and it's cooler to say ya did it yourself!!!

Comment

The wood is definitly staying on it.

I will probably try one of the Birchwood Casey "Tru Oil" kits. I have been wanting to see how it works. I just haven't decided what I am going to use to strip the old finish and if I am going to keep the pressed in checkering or iron it out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2978 users online. 173 members and 2805 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X