300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilson Combat

I am looking for a Wilson Combat .45 for Law Enforcement use. Does anyone have a good resource for a reputable supplier of new or used at fair prices? If you have a used one for sale we can talk too.

Go to GunsAmerica.com or Gunbroker.com and check out the listings. Sometimes you can get great deals on used Wilsons, that make you wonder why you'd ever spend that much money on a new one. You might also want to check out the classified ads here too: http://forum.m1911.org/ In fact, here's a Wilson you might want to look at: http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=55831

FWIW, I'd include pistols made by Nighthawk Custom too. The company is made up of ex-Wilson employees, who built the pistols there for years and decided to form their own company after failing to get along with their boss. It's a company with experience and an attitude (to do better) that results in quality products. I couldn't be happier with mine!
    Last edited by pulicords; 09-04-2008, 06:00 PM.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I worked at a gun shop (Mark Fore & Strike) in Reno which was a Master Wilson Combat dealer. Being an independent, their prices ran a bit higher, but were definitely in line with suggested retail for Wilsons.

I am hoping to buy a Wilson KZ-45 in the near future. Combining the 10-rd mag with the polymer frame that isn't any wider than a standard 1911 would make this an awesome duty weapon. With a suggested retail of $1300-1400 (depending on options, etc), it is surprisingly economic. Their all-steel guns are great. Keep in mind that some departments may have a trigger-pull weight requirement.

I remain favorably impressed by their shotgun line (formerly Scattergun Technologies). Well-made shotguns.

Comment

Check out Bud's Gun Shop on the internets if you don't have a local shop with a discount. They sell so many guns, that depending on what you buy, even after shipping and FFL transfer fees, you can still come out ahead! Good luck.

Comment

Try contacting them about LE pricing on a duty weapon. I believe they offer LE pricing at dealer rates. If not maybe I can contact someone.
          The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

There is no such thing as a Wilson at a fair price.

If the name is important to you, go for it. If having a high quality functional gun is what matters, you can have just as good for a lot cheaper from a bunch of places.

Whatever flips your switch.

M-11
            “All men dream...... But not equally..
            Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
            but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
            for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Thanks Guys! I appreciate all the info.....I am a pretty frugal person and I am not interested in the price of a Wilson Combat, but I am interested in the reliability. I have been forever a Glock fan and have never had a problem with any one of my many Glocks. I want to move up to a .45 and have been shopping Kimber's until I started reading the forums on the performance of the Wilson Combat. In addition to reliabilty, I need other disciplines built into my duty weapon to keep me from reverting back to my bad habits (ie: slapping the trigger, front sight acquisition, etc. I'll look into everything ya'll provided (I am a due diligance kinda guy) and let you know what my final decision is. Thanks Again!

Comment

If you are comfortable with Glocks, then why not a 21SF? (or the full size 21 if you have large hands) Covers the frugal part, and you already gave praise to the Glock. We don't make the most money in the world, might as well be smart about it.

Comment

Originally posted by MNCopper View Post
                  If you are comfortable with Glocks, then why not a 21SF? (or the full size 21 if you have large hands) Covers the frugal part, and you already gave praise to the Glock. We don't make the most money in the world, might as well be smart about it.
                  +1 I would look into the Glock 21SF. I have small hands and the 21SF seems to fit for me. Besides I would rather have 13rds of .45 over 8 any day. Now, don't get me wrong... I like the 1911! I would one day like a Nighthawk myself. But, if you like the Glock and you are comfortable with it, I would stick with it. A 1911 requires a. lots and lots of practice and b. lots of TLC to keep it running well. But, that is just my $.02...
                  Common sense its not a common virtue...

sigpic

"The AR-15, Legos for grown ups."-Jwise

"OCD with firearms can ensure your continued use of oxygen. "- Blackdog F4i

1042 Trooper is my hero!!!

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                    There is no such thing as a Wilson at a fair price.

If the name is important to you, go for it. If having a high quality functional gun is what matters, you can have just as good for a lot cheaper from a bunch of places.

Whatever flips your switch.

M-11
                    I vehemently disagree. While there are several duty quality pistols available at a lower price, Wilson, along with Ed Brown, Les Baer, and Nighthawk stand head and tails quality wise above anything from Colt, Springfield, Sig, Para Ordnance, or Kimber. Some good research and first hand experience of quality 1911's can be found at 1911.org and 10-8 forums.

FWIW I carry a Sig GSR which has never failed me. It has nightsites, match grade barrel and sear, front and backstrap checkering, and zero MIM parts. It runs like a clock.
                    People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

I guess I have to give my definition of quality:

1, A pistol that fires a round with reasonable accuracy when I pull the trigger.

I do not treat my pistol as a display item or accounterment for my wardrobe. I use the same criteria for pistols as I do when buying a hammer; Will it hit hard enough, be easy to use, and not rust.

Just about any of the companies you list produce pistols that will fire a round with accuracy. Everything else is bells and whistles.

Just my opinion.

Cheap guns shoot a lot more people every year than spendy ones do.

M-11
                      Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;

TE Lawrence

Comment

While a 1911 may not be my first choice for a duty weapon, I think I will be buried with my Ed Brown and my Les Baer. Hopefully before that time I hope to add a Wilson, Vickers and perhaps a Nighthawk.

There is no finer pistol than a perfectly tuned 1911.
                        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                          I guess I have to give my definition of quality:

1, A pistol that fires a round with reasonable accuracy when I pull the trigger.

I do not treat my pistol as a display item or accounterment for my wardrobe. I use the same criteria for pistols as I do when buying a hammer; Will it hit hard enough, be easy to use, and not rust.

Just about any of the companies you list produce pistols that will fire a round with accuracy. Everything else is bells and whistles.

Just my opinion.

Cheap guns shoot a lot more people every year than spendy ones do.

M-11
                          I understand your view point and can't find fault in your judgement. I guess I just prefer fancier steel to do the same job. Its like preferring what kind of vehicle to drive back and forth to work.
                          People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

I understand your view point and can't find fault in your judgement. I guess I just prefer fancier steel to do the same job. Its like preferring what kind of vehicle to drive back and forth to work.
                            I agree with you as well. Nice things are nice to have. I'm just afraid if I had a nice shiny fancy pistol I probably wouldn't carry it because I'd be afraid I'd scratch it or something.

M-11

TE Lawrence

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6071 users online. 319 members and 5752 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X