Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I joined my current agency I carried a 8 round S&W .45. I never had much of a choice but to carry it. No back ups allowed and newbies didn't get shotguns (no rifles except for SWAT at the time). I voiced my opinion about the matter more than once. Administration changed and we went to high capacity .45s and everyone at least got a shotgun and some got M16s. BUGs are also allowed now. I never had a problem with the 8 round mags but would have liked to carry a quad pouch with 4 spares instead of 2.

Comment

With all the other crap we carry on Sam Brownes, you'd think no one would make an issue of two additional loaded eight shot magazines! Go with a quad pouch if you're that concerned about ammunition capacity. You won't notice the difference in weight.
      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I carry a 1911 and I use the quad pack from bladetech. Chance are you won't need more than 3-8 rounds, but why take that chance? Bladetech
        People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop View Post
          Well, I must be a real nutbar then I carry an XD45 Tactical, each mag holds 13 rounds of .45. I carry 4 extra mags on me for a total of 66 rounds of .45 on my person. What changed my mind to carry more was when I saw a dash cam video of an Officer Involved Shooting from a PD that was close to mine. The Officer had a gun with a 12+1 capacity and carried 2 extra mags. It was amazing how fast you can run dry when incoming fire from the badguy is being received. I honestly didn't see him "waste" many rounds either. The badguy was hiding in a pickup truck. The Officer was down to 2 rounds when backup arrived, and backup was on scene in under 2 minutes. So, yes, I will be one of the "crazies" who will carry more than he will probably ever need, but I would feel very stupid if I "lightened my load" and needed the extra ammo.
          He put 35 rounds down range, didn't hit anything, but didn't waste any rounds?

I've never been under fire, so I can't and won't question the tactics, but if 35 rounds were spent and no bad guys were hit, what was the sight picture of the target? Spray and pray works OK at best in the military, on the street you need a target.

I can't see needing to carry more then 2 back-up mags.

BTW, how the heck do you have room for for another mag pouch, I don't have room for another belt keeper?

Comment

Sinned
            Unfortunately I have no way to acquire the video, but here is the long story short. Officer performed a traffic stop. Offender began shooting at Officer from a position of cover inside his pickup truck. Officer taking fire begins to return fire but rounds don't penetrate the truck. Officer then is shot in the shoulder. Fire continues to come in on the Officer, not knowing the severity of his injuries or if Offender might rush his position, he returns fire at a higher volume to keep Offender pinned. Officer did not have to worry about background (as much) because the area was clear, etc. Eventually Offender is killed by return fire from responding Officers, but a second Officer was also shot and wounded. So, to a degree, this might have well have been a "military" shoot out. It was close quarters and a fight for his life. Again, the video has to be viewed to be believed. I am VERY much into tactics, etc., and I could totally see how the Officer ended up in the position he did, and I really can't blame him.
            www.saveavet.org

Comment

I just can't see firing into a position of cover with no visual sight picture of the target. It kind of sounds like he was throwing down cover fire, but for no real reason. Conserve ammo and wait for an opportunity, spraying rounds obviously did not deter the suspect from shooting as you said he began firing at a higher volume.

I suspect it was simply adrenaline and when the pucker factor hit, he just started squeezing off rounds.

Comment

Sinned
                I'm not going to banter back and forth with you, I don't disagree with what you wrote, but sometimes real world goes very different from what is written tactics. I told you what I saw, you did not see the video. I know well what "sound" tactics are, I just stated I could see how it went to s**t real fast for this Officer, and it probably could have happened to any of us. That is the reason I stated why I now carry more ammo for that 0.1% firefight you might get in to. I feel more comfortable for myself, and that is all that really matters. Do what you feel is right for yourself.
                www.saveavet.org

Comment

Originally posted by KenW. View Post
                  For 15 years I never felt under-ammo'd with 3-eight rounders and one up the pipe in my 1911. On my tac vest I kept three more 8-round mags just in case.
                  For about the same length of time, I felt the same way about my S&W model 66 that had six in the gun and I carried two speed loaders with 6 rounds each. I kept a box of ammo in my briefcase though.

Perspective from a guy whose been around.
                  I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5418 users online. 330 members and 5088 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X