300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for LEO who carry Single stack mags

I'm going to start carrying my new SIG 220 soon, and I'm wondering what other folks carry for numbers of magazines. The SIG only has an 8 round mag, and most of the other guys have 13 rounds in their Glock mags. The way I'm set up right now, I'll be carrying 9 rounds in the gun and an additional 16 rounds in my mag pouches. I'm wondering if I should be happy with the 25 total rounds, or if I should consider adding another double mag pouch to the duty belt (I have space) for a total of 41 rounds. I've also considered just using the mag pouches I have right now but putting the extended 10-round magazines in them which would give me a total of 29 rounds. What are your ideas?
    Thanks
    Jess
    "My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

For 15 years I never felt under-ammo'd with 3-eight rounders and one up the pipe in my 1911. On my tac vest I kept three more 8-round mags just in case.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

My last 18 months on the job, I carried a 1911 type .45 and used a "quad" pouch made by Michael's of Oregon (nylon) or a leather "quad" pouch made by A.E. Nelson leather. Either can be carried in vertical or horizontal positions. Using one of these takes up the same amount of room on your duty belt as two (two magazine) pouches.

Here's a link for Nelson leather:
      http://nelsonleather.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=147
      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

You have to decide your own comfort level depending on space, weight, comfort, threat, etc. On-duty I carry my Beretta in a shoulder holster with a short 10rd mag +1 in the pipe and two 15rd mags in the off side mag pouch and another pair of 15rd mags on my belt. It sounds like alot but it's easy to carry since there's no gun on my belt and the spares on the shoulder rig balance the weight of the gun on the other side. That being said, I never felt undergunned when I only had 2 spares instead of 4. Off duty I carry single stack guns and carry only 1 or 2 spares and I'm comfortable with that.

Comment

WC145,

Do you use the shoulder rig just on the clam flats?

Stay Safe
          Fyr
          Forti Fors Bona

Comment

I carry the P220 with only 2 xtra mags.

I used to carry a "quad pouch", but I decided the additional weight was not worth it.

It is all good and well to "be prepared for anything" but where do you draw the line? Do you load out 100rnds of rifle ammo? 300? I know a guy who keeps 700 rnds loaded in mags for his M4. (And the combat load I had in Iraq was only 210).

Most LE gunfights are over after 3-8 rounds. Chances are good you will not even need the 25 you carry.

I keep a small bag upfront with me, in case of an "active shooter" type event. In it are 6 mags for my AR, 25 rnds of 12 ga. and 4 extra loaded mags for my P220.

I dont like the 10 round mags. They stick down too far and change the balance of the gun. Plus, you may find it difficult to locate a pouch that will store them.
            Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
            --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

I carry a Sig 220 with 4 extra mags plus the 1 in the gun.

However, I also have the older magazines so I am only carrying 7 in each mag. I purchased a Quad mag pouch and stuff them all in there.

I know I may be a bit on the high side regarding the amount of mags I carry. I just always think I would rather have too many than not enough. But SoCal is right, most "gunfights" for us are over by the time you are on round number 8, but that is an average and it doesn't mean your gunfight wont need 16 or more.

I guess what I am saying is carry them if you got em. I wouldn't go purchase extra mags but if you have em you might as well take em.

(to note, I am also the crazy that keeps extra mags for my back-up and my primary in the car just in case)

Comment

Originally posted by fyrdog View Post
                WC145,

Do you use the shoulder rig just on the clam flats?

Stay Safe
                Fyr
                Yeah for now, although I'm thinking about ordering rigs for a couple of other guns that I carry off-duty. I must say that if you haven't used one you really have to give it a chance because it feels strange at first but now that I'm accustomed to it I really like it.

Comment

I carry a 1911 once in a while and only use 2 extra. But I have seen tri pack and quad packs in the department.

Comment

I carry a P220 on duty and use a Don Hume "quad" magazine pouch on my Sam Brown. It is heavy, but it is not too bad. I was used to two 12 round USP 45 mags, so the weight and size of the pouch are pretty close.

http://www.donhume.com/Products/Prod...?ProductID=113
                    There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.
                    William Halsey

Comment

Well, I must be a real nutbar then I carry an XD45 Tactical, each mag holds 13 rounds of .45. I carry 4 extra mags on me for a total of 66 rounds of .45 on my person. What changed my mind to carry more was when I saw a dash cam video of an Officer Involved Shooting from a PD that was close to mine. The Officer had a gun with a 12+1 capacity and carried 2 extra mags. It was amazing how fast you can run dry when incoming fire from the badguy is being received. I honestly didn't see him "waste" many rounds either. The badguy was hiding in a pickup truck. The Officer was down to 2 rounds when backup arrived, and backup was on scene in under 2 minutes. So, yes, I will be one of the "crazies" who will carry more than he will probably ever need, but I would feel very stupid if I "lightened my load" and needed the extra ammo.
                      www.saveavet.org

Comment

I have seen a lot of guys carry 4 mags out here. Not that un common. I am fortunate in that when I go 10-8, it is usually with a partner, so there are two pistols shooting down range. I always have a bail out bag, too, that has extra mags for my side arm, extra SG rounds and a few AR magazines for good measure!
                        There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.
                        William Halsey

Comment

I carry a Sig P220 with 4 8-round mags; one in the gun, two in a standard mag pouch and one in a single mag pouch behind my radio.
                          Steve

Comment

why dont you just toss 2 loose rounds in your pocket.
                            2 extra rounds, is better than no extra rounds and at least it gives you peace of mind that you have a bit extra.

put those two rounds in your BDU pocket, or even in your change pocket in your uniform pants and put 1 extra magazine in your duty bag and keep it in your radio car.
                            If you get a gun run, take the extra mag and put it in your pocket. Even if you dont put it in your pocket, you still have it available.
                            sigpic

Comment

1 thing I like about 9mm's is that you always have 15 rounds in the magazine. 45 rounds total between 2 on the gun belt, and 1 in the gun.
                              Dont really need more than that.
                              sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4855 users online. 291 members and 4564 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X