300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S&w M&p?

Whats the big deal about this gun? I am in the market for a new gun and just kinda of interested in what people have to say about this. The guys at the range are ready to trade in their Glocks and it has me interested.

Glock is a great weapon and is probably carried by more L.E agencies than any other firearm throughout this nation if not the world. They even replaced quite a few Sigs as carry weapons among many agencies. The reasons vary but some of them are: Price, simplicity in use and field stripping for general maintenance, reliability and accuracy is good and the Glock is a very rugged design and most models have a higher capacity in general in rounds and best of all the polymer frames don't rust and are super light weight which matters on any duty weapon you have to carry day in and day out. The Smith M&P basically took the things that made Glock and the Springfield XD good and improved upon them though. The M&P has a stainless steel chasis and the slide like the XD along with the grip angle makes the recoil more pleasant because it sits farther back on your shooting hand. The biggest difference between the Glock and the M&P is the fact that there are three alternative back straps sizes that fit the variety of officers hand sizes and changing them out is easy. Our department did a thorough test and eval and the M&P won over Glock and a few other poly guns. The fact that Smith has excellent customer service for L.E and a life time guarantee doesn't hurt either. Personally, I like the M&P the Glock and the XD. You have to shoot them all for yourself to see which you prefer because if you are looking for opinions in here everyone will have a different one. If I could choose my duty weapon it would be either the XD Stainless slide in tactical or standard 45acp but I'm satisfied with my M&P and I carry a Glock 27 off duty all the time. Potatoes Pototoes, tomatoes tamatoes.etc..
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

M&p 9

I carried a Glock 17, 27, 17C and 22 and liked them all. I am now with a department and the Sheriff will not allow Glocks (he be the boss). I was carrying a Sig but wanted something lighter. The M&P to me is nothing more than a reliable Glock (but I can carry it).

The only thing I do not like about the M&P is taking it apart. You have to pull a little metal piece from the butt of the weapon and then pull out on another little piece of metal inside the slide area.

It is lightweight, tough and very affordable. (mine was 355.00 with 4 mags)

Holsters are a bit hard to find but my Glock 21 holster will hold the M&P with TRL light. lapolicegear.com has a level III Duty Serpa for the M&P series for about 75.00.

Food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by jswwjw View Post
        I carried a Glock 17, 27, 17C and 22 and liked them all. I am now with a department and the Sheriff will not allow Glocks (he be the boss). I was carrying a Sig but wanted something lighter. The M&P to me is nothing more than a reliable Glock (but I can carry it).

The only thing I do not like about the M&P is taking it apart. You have to pull a little metal piece from the butt of the weapon and then pull out on another little piece of metal inside the slide area.

It is lightweight, tough and very affordable. (mine was 355.00 with 4 mags)

Holsters are a bit hard to find but my Glock 21 holster will hold the M&P with TRL light. lapolicegear.com has a level III Duty Serpa for the M&P series for about 75.00.

Food for thought.
        I agree with you on that issue. That was a "politically correct thing" Smith did so you wouldn't have to dry fire the weapon before you took the slide off. I guess some complained how it was unsafe to have to dry fire most striker fired weapons before you broke them down which to me is idiotic because if you do not know how to unload a weapon before you clean it you need to stick to a revolver. Also the thing I don't like is now that my M&P is broke in I have to hold down the take down lever at the same time I hit the slide release because it will flip back up if you don't. Glock and XD definately have the M&P beat on take down but it isn't a major factor for me either way.
        "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

The tool, the lever, yes that works but pulling the trigger to release the striker off the sear to take the slide off works also, just like on the Glocks.

Fat finger people like myself do not like Glock finger grooves on newer guns.

I am not real happy with the M+P trigger, Glock is not good trigger, I think this is worse.

Since the M&P has a fully prepped striker I would like the model with the external safety,

I have not shot it enough but am going to start shooting it as my primary IDPA gun and see how it goes long term.

My daughter has a Beretta PX4 and the trigger on it is much better, I like that gun a whole lot, but this gun has other features. Like a place for a unicorn

Comment

I am not LEO yet, in the application process. But, I have been carrying concealed for over 10 years and have had many guns.

I have a Glock 19 and an M&P9. I was skeptical about getting a S&W striker fired semi-auto after a college roommate bought a Sigma. I can say that I am very happy with the M&P. Internally, it is very similar to the Glock, but with the interchangeable back straps and great sights (Novaks) it is a better gun IMHO. I have not had an reliability issues with my M&P and carry it more than any other firearm in my collection.

Comment

Originally posted by David Hineline View Post
              I am not real happy with the M+P trigger, Glock is not good trigger, I think this is worse.

Since the M&P has a fully prepped striker I would like the model with the external safety,

I have not shot it enough but am going to start shooting it as my primary IDPA gun and see how it goes long term.
              How many rounds do you have through it? After 300-500 rounds mine smoothed out noticeably. Now I have a few thousand rounds through it an no trigger complaints.

As fair compensation for the bit of wisdom, just PM me for the address where you should send that threaded barrel and suppressor.

Comment

I only have maybe 50rnds through it, it took like 15 rounds to start to cycle with the silencer so either the gun needed a tiny break in or the metric booster piston needed a tad of break in.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I spoke with our range guys and got some good stuff as well. Then i was told that a shop gives LEO's a deal. M&P, holster, light, and mags for $600. Sold!!

Comment

The trigger is smoothing up just fine, I got +6 Arrendondo base pads for the two magazines in my pouch, so that's 17+1 in the gun and 23X2 on the hip for a load out of 64 rounds.

I function tested the +6 and both magazines fed the full load and locked slide open when empty.

Comment

great gun for the little bit i know about them..use .40 m&p for my duty and off duty weapon...great price to..but 4 months latter still waiting for my $50 rebate and 2 mags extra that came with rebate...

also this: https://secure.fobusholster.com/cata...roducts_id=533 makes a great off-duty holster for this gun,...just got mine 2 weeks ago and it works good when ur out and about
                      "What the problem is?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6382 users online. 343 members and 6039 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X