300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini-14

Im in the market for a semi-auto .223 rifle/carbine. Ive always wanted an AR-15 but when your married with kids they are expensive. In checking around Ive noticed a few departments do carry the mini-14.
    Ive never had any experience with the mini-14. Ive always used an M16/AR15. But, a mini-14 is half the price as an AR-15 with the same basic features.
    Im looking for any feedback on the mini-14. Does anyone suggest any other rifle/carbine with the same basic specs.

Our agency is in the process of allowing patrol officers to carry .223 cal rifles in their units. One of the rifles that is approved is the mini-14 along with the AR-15. I own both and they both are great to shoot. They are both reliable and accuate. I agree the AR's are a little pricey and I don't think that you would be disapointed with the Mini-14.
    "You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
    - James Allen

Comment

I bought my own mini 14 several years before my department started issuing them. I was happy I did because the issue rifles were plain jane and "not to be modified."

I had both a flash supressor and a folding stock on mine. I was very happy with this weapon and would highly recommend it! Get yourself some fifty round mags if you can still find them and you have one hell of a lot of fire power here!

------------------
      "I like cats too. Let's exchange recipes." George Carlin

6P1 (retired)
      6P1 (retired)

Comment

The only thing I've heard bad about the mini-14 is that the sights are easily knocked off (off sight that is). Can't verify that from personal experience, just what I've heard.

------------------
        "Trust me. I'm from the government, I'm here to help."

Comment

I've never experienced any problem with the sights. I carried mine for several years. I had it in a rifle case in the trunk, and then in a rack right beside the shotgun. It saw a lot of bumping around on the desert backroads, but like I said, no problems.

------------------
          "I like cats too. Let's exchange recipes." George Carlin

6P1 (retired)
          6P1 (retired)

Comment

I own a personal Mini and Bushmaster AR.
            I don't know why people always assume the AR is "twice the price". It's a little more, but the last time I looked, if you go through a tabletop dealer, it wont be double.
            I like the Mini, but I think the AR is worth the extra dough, even if ya have to save for it. Christmas is only 362 shopping days away, after all!

Comment

I've owned a mini-14 and am looking to buy another one. It's a great little gun. Very dependable, very versatile, very easy to find whiz-bang accessories for if you're into that.

I'm a BIG fan of Ruger in general. I can't remember seeing them turn out a gun that I wouldn't buy. They make great guns at great prices. Customer service, especially for LE is good too.

------------------
              Niteshift-
              Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

First, I've never heard anything but great things about the mini-14. I've shot 'em a few times and liked it.

However, when I was making the same decision a few years ago..I went ahead and got the AR. From the military, I am just so INTIMATELY familiar with it's operation. I could brake it down, clear malfunctions, reload the thing with numb hands in the dark and half asleep if I needed to. I knew that I wouldn't put myself through the kind of training neccessary to get that with the mini.

Anyway...that's the thought process that led me to buy the AR. For whatever it might be worth.

------------------
                -Sparky
                -Sparky

Comment

Likewise Sparky, those from Don's generation will find the Mini-14 easy since it's based on the Garand action. So, if you have experience with the M1, M-14 or even Mi Carbine, the Mini-14 will seem comfortable right away.

------------------
                  Niteshift-
                  Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Just got mine for Christmas!!!

I got the stainless, polymer stock, Ranch rifle. I would like to put a scope on it so if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. My plan is to go with a low-power (4x-6x) with as wide a field of view as possible. Also if anyone knows where you can still find high capacity mags for it let me know. They are getting scarce from what I can see. All I have right now is the factory 5 round mag and one 20 round mag. I don't really want to put a lot of bells and whistles on it but if anyone has any ideas on how to improve it, what ammunition to use, etc..

Great little weapon.

[This message has been edited by dpdcop (edited 01-07-2001).]
                    "It's not the size of the dog that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
                    Dwight Eishenhower

Comment

You might try www.sportsmansguide.com or www.cheaperthandirt.com for the magazines. They usually have some pre-ban mags for sale for various weapons.

------------------
                      Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack
                      Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Comment

Suggestions:

Get a sling. I got a "super sling" from Walmart for my AR. $12, I think. Good investment.

Ammo has been touched on for 223. I got a lot of advice for Hornady TAP rounds, but couldn't find a local store that carried them. I settled for Federal premium boat tailed hollow points, 55gr. GREAT expansion, no chance (I hate to say that) of passing through a target and capping some innocent.

Last, PRACTICE, PRACTICE and more PRACTICE. I love shooting my AR. Last boxes of ammo I got were $3.89 for 20rds. No excuse not to shoot for that price.

------------------

Comment

Ken,

The TAP rounds are restricted to LE, so most stores won't stock them. Most, however, will order them for you.

I buy my .45 ammo by the case and split it with another guy. Lot's of surplus .223 available by the case too. Just a thought.

------------------
                          Niteshift-
                          Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Nite,

Why would they be restricted to LE? All they are is a BTHP round, just like the Federal rounds I now carry. I found them on the cheaperthandirt website.
                            ------------------

[This message has been edited by KenM (edited 12-30-2000).]

Comment

would anyone be willing to email be a copy of their Dept. policies concerning these .233 guns?

Thanks in advance

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2164 users online. 162 members and 2002 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X