300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun Stock

Ladies (giggity) and Gentlemen, I have a friend who is buying a shotgun. I convinced her that having a collapsable stock isn't very useful on a shotgun (that's going to be sitting at home, not in a car on a rack). I managed to talk her into getting a stock that will absorb the recoil and allow for quick follow up shots. Only problem is, I don't know jack about the after market for shotguns.

Any suggestions?
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

The Knoxx CompStock.
    http://www.knoxx.com/products/CompStock.php

If she's going to use it out in the field, you may also suggest getting a PAST Field Recoil Shield. It comes in a few different thicknesses.
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...cmCat=10004716

In addition, pay attention to what sort of loads she's using. There are some decent reduced recoil loads on the market. My wife really likes some "powderpuff" loads that a guy made at a local shop, so I'm probably going to have to start reloading for her. These are 12g shells with 7/8 oz of birdshot and 15.9g of powder (I can't remember which kind right now) and my wife preferred it over the Winchester Extra-Light loads.

Last tip, make she understands proper stance and gun positioning, leaning forward a bit and keeping the stock tight and fully against her shoulder. Sloppy practice there will undermine all her other efforts.

If you want the ultimate in recoil reduction, there's always the Beretta Xtrema2.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6bKbqSdNEc
    I really would recommend a semi-auto shotgun. The felt recoil is noticeably "slower" and softer-feeling.
    Last edited by velobard; 08-23-2008, 09:56 PM.

Comment

i personally like the look and feel of the speed feed stocks:

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0005768223487a.shtml

If you don't mind the more skeletonized look, choate machine & tool makes a few decent ones too..

As for collapsable, I haven't seen a civilian range in FL that allows a folding/pistol grip stock yet..
      -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
      -Daniel Silva

Comment

Hogue made a reduced recoil stock, i don't know if it's still being made. Knoxx is very well made and works well.
        If she uses a solid stock there is all ways the recoil reducer's that are installed in side the stock.
        I use a butler creek side folder on one of my 870's, the design helps with recoil but it's big drawback is the small pad.
        The compstock i have on a nother 870 is my go to gun, i can shoot that one all day and still lift my arm the day after.

Comment

I like the Speed Feed. I have one on my duty 870 now and its the most comfortable shooting shotgun I've ever had. I tried one of the Knoxx stocks and it beat my face to pieces. I wasn't the only one. Several other instructors tried it with the same results. Its only good point was you could easily adjust the length of pull.

Comment

Originally posted by GCPD0171 View Post
            I tried one of the Knoxx stocks and it beat my face to pieces. I wasn't the only one. Several other instructors tried it with the same results. Its only good point was you could easily adjust the length of pull.
            That sounds like the Knoxx SpecOps stock.

This is the Knoxx CompStock.

Comment

Ok I got the two confused. I would love to try the compstock. We have switched to the low recoil loads so it doesn't seem to be much of an issue anymore.

Comment

Actually, I just switched to a collapsible style stock on my shotgun and love it. You can adjust to full length for hunting or if you need to get through tight places with it, its that much shorter.

http://www.combatstocks.com/ATI_Coll...CE_SYSTEM).cfm
                "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

For sixty bucks or less you can get a Ramline replacement stock. Forget spending the extra money for a simple home defense shotgun and buy the "girlie" (soft) police type shot loads and show her how to mount and fire the weapon properly. It won't hurt!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1
                  "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Oh, this isn't because it's too "hard" or "rough" on her. She can handle full loads no problem.

This is simply for quick follow up shots, that's all.

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

The thing i have found with aftermarket stocks is there pads have a good grip but can be too sticky.
                      The speedfeed stocks are tough and mostly solid, more weight better recoil taming, unlike factory plastic stocks.
                      You got me!, if she is getting a remington i have a spare 870 speedfeed stock to try out, i can come up with a butler creek folder and a short LOP tac. stock, let me know if i can help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by justhomp View Post
                        Oh, this isn't because it's too "hard" or "rough" on her. She can handle full loads no problem.

This is simply for quick follow up shots, that's all.
                        haha can she now!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier_Boy View Post
                          haha can she now!
                          LMAO

That too
                          Last edited by JTShooter; 08-28-2008, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Hogue Youth Stock.

Its got a nice cushy recoil pad and the pebbled rubber grip. It's what I run on my duty 870.
                            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

An adjustable stock will allow her to adjust the size to fit HER.
                              Sometimes there's Justice
                              Sometimes there's Just Us

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6305 users online. 336 members and 5969 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X