300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 gun shoot

any of the guys that take part in this how much is a average course of fire cost? im thinking about getting into it but i cant find any prices on what it runs to do a course, im talking entry fee, ammo costs etc..if its cost prohibitive ill go buy some targets and set up my own course out in the boonies..

i need a Rifle, shotgun and pistol is covered... but i can borrow one anytime, ill end up buying my own eventually.

do you think this improves your skills at all?, we used to do alot of primary to secondary transition training and SRM in the military and i was pretty damn good, practicing dry runs in the backyard just isnt cutting it anymore, i need to smell the powder again.
    In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Yes 3 Gun and Multi Gun matches can and do increase your abilities. I dont know what guns you have, but I'd recomend you shoot what you have and will carry while you shoot. Entry fees, (in the ones I've fired) were reasonable. You don't need fancy target guns. I'm assuming you are LE, Take your service postol/revolver and used your duty leather. If you use a shotgun, try to use the same gun you carry in your car, Same with the patrol rifle. You can only shoot part of the matches too. Example if you only carry a pistol and shotgun on duty, you can only sign up for those events.

As far as ammo, you dont need expensive target ammo like in high power or 1000 yard matchs. Reloading is best and cheapest, but if you dont reload you can buy bulk plinking ammo pretty reasonable.

Yeah you can set up your own range and practice, but I don't believe you will get the same value as you would in head to head compitition.

The problem with 3 gun and multi gun shooting is its fast, people have a tendency to shoot fast and forget the fundamentals. The best senario is to shoot High Power, (for rifle) Bullseye (for Pistol) and Skeet ( for shotgun) in addition to the 3 gun and multi gun matches. That way you keep working on your marksmanship fundamentals in addion to the action style shooting.

Do a google on 3-gun, multi gun, and other combat shooting, you'll find the rules and other info you need.

PS My Avatar is me in a humvee, shooting a multi gun match in Gurnsey WY. We were shooting from the moving humvee and several hiden, pop up targets. Multi and 3 gun matchs are fun to shoot, you'll learn a lot, and no two are the same, You wont know the couse until you start shooting.

Main thing, be safe, have fun, and you'll learn a lot regardless of you shooting abilities.
    Last edited by kraigwy; 08-23-2008, 10:05 AM.

Comment

pistol will be a Glock 22 or a Walther P99QA in either a standard duty rig or a dropleg and chest rig configuration, depending on the rules.

Shotgun is a 18" Mossy 590A1, cant decide on a sling.

rifle i plan on using is a DPMS 16" M-4 style with a Aimpoint or Iron sights, black mamba sling.

so how much do you spend on entrance fees and ammo etc, for a shoot? im aware of the course layouts, etc.
      In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

Competition or tactical practice

IPSC style competition shoots are only going to allow on the hip holster.
        If doing it for competition not tactical practice a low cap pump does not have a chance compared to a 12shot auto with speed loaders.
        The AR would be typical gear.

Local matches would run around $15, a regional match maybe $65, sectional match $150 national match $300 or so, then of course travel costs etc.

Most local match would be done in a couple hundred rounds, sectional 800rnds, national a couple thousand.

goto uspsa.com and do a club search for your area, then go watch a match or two and see if it's your style.

Comment

thanks guys..

why is a 6 round shottie with a speedfeed and saddle not enough, im missing something here i think..if needed i can get a hold of a 9 round mossy..

so what do i need a damn spas 12?
          Last edited by Mstangfk; 08-23-2008, 03:18 PM.

Comment

It depends. If you want to hone your skills with what you are using for defense/carry, then it is plenty for you.
            The pro shooters or long time competitive shooters are going to show up with benelli's (or winchester X2's)with 12 shot magazines that actually extend beyond the end of the barrel and AR's with compensators and a scope AND a dot sight and a 24 round highly customized high cap 1911 frame. Probably about 6 to 8,000 dollars worth of hardware.

You WILL NOT be competitive.
            You WILL have fun.
            You WILL increase your confidence/skill level.
            Do NOT get into gaming it if you are trying to help your professional skills.

Get a mag extension for your Mossberg and have fun.

Watch how the top guys perform their reloads and ask questions.

There is NOTHING "Practical" or "Tactical" about these matches, but they are a hoot.
            You will be tired and thirsty, take plenty of water and some gatorade or the like.

Comment

While IDPA is STILL a game, it is a far cry better than IPSC. I've shot both, and while it was true in either case that I was "competing only against myself," it was nonetheless discouraging to see the outright "gaming it" on the part of the competition.

I've never shot a rifle competition, only pistol matches. Shotguns don't interest me in the least...
              J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Well IDPA only does handguns, no rifle or shotgun, so that's out for 3-gun shoot.

Using the gear you have is like driving your daily work on at the drag strip. Yes it will teach you how to drive you car better, but in no way will it begin to keep up with top fuel. As long as you want to compete against your self and improve and learn with the gear you have then go for it. Do not fool yourself that you will be competative. You won't

Watch this youtube video. If you shoot LE style you use cover to reload, they don't waste of time, they use speedloaders, you don't waste of time, you do tactical reloads with retention of magazines that contain lifesaving ammo, they don't they change mags every time they move to save time. Please note those things the man grabs off his belt while playing shotgun each reloaded 4 rounds so he did a 12rnd reload in about 5 seconds while on the move, can you even begin to reload 2.5 shells a second while moving downrange? That is why your pumper won't win.

I shoot IPSC and IDPA, to have problems with both mindsets, both have good sides, both have downsides. Either way for whatever reason you goto the match to shoot, it is better than the skills you pick up by staying home and shooting by yourself and telling yourself how great you are on Call of Duty 4.

Get out and get shooting.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww10nixp0Kw
                Last edited by David Hineline; 08-24-2008, 02:28 AM.

Comment

here is an Oklahoma 3 gun match yet this month.

Try it. You have a week to practice.

http://okcgunclub.org/cgi-bin/calciu...ndarName=okcgc

Comment

well poop stick, i thought there were classes where you could only use stock type gear, such as what ive got.

screw custom built guns and such, im a poor college student with a house 2 cars and a bike (but i also have a pool, and the cars are nice and so is the bike)

looks like its out to the boonies with targets for me..oh well i dont even have an AR yet..

a friend has a 16" DPMS for sale, but it has a A2 sight, for 650, maybe i can talk the wife into it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4961 users online. 250 members and 4711 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X