300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new duty weapon

we are trans from glocck 22 to s&w m&p .40s. are these any better/worse?

I have never fired the M&P, but I got to spend some time handling a compact in 9mm the other day. It was definitely a more natural fit for me, especially with the interchangeable backstraps. The fit and finish seemed much nicer than a Glock, but only time will tell how they'll do for reliability and accuracy in the long run.

Comment

From what I hear the S&W's are decent weapons. Not my gig but if thats what you have to use you can learn to love it. The only problem I have with S&W's in general is the mag safety. I don't like that it won't fire without the mag in. Some people love that same feature.................
      Last edited by Monkeybomb; 08-21-2008, 09:35 PM.
      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

The M&Ps can be ordered with the disconnect feature.

Personally I like the Glock a lot better.

Comment

+1 to JohnnyReb. You can get the M&P with or without the magazine disconnect safety (I don't care for it either, although I can argue why it makes sense on some levels).

You can also get some variants with a 1911 style thumb safety.

I think the M&P is a greatly improved weapon over previous Smith autos. I slightly prefer the Glock because of the long record of durability, but the M&P is winning alot of converts.

I think Glock should realize that Glock Perfection needs to be updated, possibly with a new pistol the way Springfield is bringing out the XDM. Ambidextrous mag release, interchangable grip straps, the ability to field strip without pulling the trigger, and second strike trigger pull would all be welcome additions for my money.
          "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

Up here in Ohio, Columbus and Cincinnati PD both issue the new M&P 40. I'm not aware of any complaints. They are a hot topic on the gun forums. It must be a reliable and accurate because competition shooters are starting to use the M&P. That's a positive sign for any new production model firearm.
            The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

Originally posted by srt28 View Post
              we are trans from glocck 22 to s&w m&p .40s. are these any better/worse?
              All I can tell you is they are both excellent duty weapons. We also carry the M&P 40 and you will not be disappointed. The major advantage of the M&P over the glock in the same caliber is it fits more hands with the alternate three size back straps and it has less felt recoil because the upper slide sets furthur back on your hand than the Glocks do. I have to say the Glocks have an advantage in two area's only over the M&P. There tennifer finishes hold up better than "Melonite" does and I can say that from carrying mine day in and day out but that really does not matter because it's melonite on top of Black stainless steel which definately is better than the regular carbon steel the glock slides are made of and the field stripping or take down on the Glock is easier while the M&P isn't hard at all. Overall the M&P is an enhanced Glock and enhanced standard XD. Even the XD "M" is mostly a stock M&P with exception to having a match grade barrel. The thing your department will like also is the M&P comes with a life time guarantee. As far as actual putting accurate holes center mass in a target? That is something that differs with the shooter. I own two XD's and in my hand they both shoot better than both the M&P and the Glock. The magazine safety on the M&P is a non-issue because you can get it with or without this feature. And the mag release on the M&P can be switched easily from right to left handed with the use of the pin that holds the backstrap grip in place. You guys will like the M&P, especially your officers who want different "grip" sizes for different size hands.
              "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

thanks for the info. i to like the glock, partly because i haven't shot the s&w yet. we are getting them in a couple of days. from everything i've read and heard, it seems like it might not be soo bad. i wish we would swap to hk, hahaha

Comment

IMO, worse.
                  The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by srt28 View Post
                    thanks for the info. i to like the glock, partly because i haven't shot the s&w yet. we are getting them in a couple of days. from everything i've read and heard, it seems like it might not be soo bad. i wish we would swap to hk, hahaha
                    We are wrapping up the process of switching from Glock 17s to H&K P2000s (.40, LEM). Most of the Glock shooters are unhappy about the switch. I didn't mind it too much after I finally got used to the H&K (and it did take a while), but the guns were definitely rushed through production to fill the contract. There are some quality issues that weren't present with the older USP Compacts that some of the officers were issued in the past.

Comment

i have a hk usp.40 and love it. never shot any other hk handguns

Comment

My first duty weapon was a Smith. I'm ambivalent to the safety disconnect. While I don't plan to let someone take my weapon away from me, it's nice to know that it is there as a last resort.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6905 users online. 364 members and 6541 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X