300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR Problem.?

I took my son shooting this morning. A great time was had. He really loves that little Marlin 22, and at 8 y.o.a. he's a crack shot. Anyway, the problem started when I broke out the relatively new AR15 (its all Stag but the lower parts kit, which is a RRA standard). I was feeding it some Federal 55 gr. FMJ's that come in the 100 round "value" pack ($39.99 at wally world, where's the "value"?)

I used mags from Bushmaster and C-products. The problem came up when I would fire a round and then sqeeze and get a "click". pull the charging handle back and a live round with no dented primer hits the ground. Fire a few more, then "click" again. That happened about 5 times in fourty rounds. Also during this session, I think something went wrong in the trigger group.

The rifle would cycle out the spent case (the spent cases were landing about 4 feet away) and chamber a fresh round, but I couldnt pull the trigger. It's as if the hammer wasnt being pushed back and set. I pulled the rear pin and opened up the rifle, but was unable to locate any debris inside that may have been causing the issue. All the pins are in place. I manually set the hammer and squeezed the trigger several times (hammer falling on thumb, not the lower) with no problems. I replaced the upper and rapidly fired 20 rounds without any issues. I dont know enough about these weapons to guess what is wrong, so any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

BTW--I have fired about 1000 rounds of Remington-UMC 55gr's thru the gun with ZERO issues. The Remington empties seem to fly alot further away from the gun than the Federals did today. Perhaps it was just "short-stroking" from lower pressure ammo???

PM jwise.....he knows all about AR's
    sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Is your rifle chambered for 5.56 or for .223?
      There ARE slight dimensional differences in the two. This might cause the malfunction by preventing the bolt going fully into battery.

Comment

Did YOU assemble the upper or was it factory? What kind of gas block does it have?
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyB View Post
          The problem came up when I would fire a round and then sqeeze and get a "click". pull the charging handle back and a live round with no dented primer hits the ground. Fire a few more, then "click" again. That happened about 5 times in fourty rounds. Also during this session, I think something went wrong in the trigger group.
          Did you check, by using the forward assist, to ensure the bolt was in battery?

Along that same line of reasoning do you run your carbine wet (IE liberal use of oil)?

Comment

I would say clean the locking lug area well, sometimes a bit of blown broken primer can get into there keeping it from closing completly.

Need more info. I suspect you have too light a buffer and spring combination. But not really enough info given.

Comment

Pm jwise or Blackdog or justhomp...they are very knowledgable in here about the "BLACK" rifle...if it was me, i'd just send it back to stag arms with a print out of your problems and have them fix it, sounds like the gun not the ammo..if you took the upper off then put it back together and had no problems it sounds like there may have been a slight tolerance difference between the trigger group and the bolt carrier group,,the problem could happen again so i would send it back..
              Last edited by Nightshift va; 08-16-2008, 11:10 AM. Reason: content added
              "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Well, thanks for the reponses. Yes, I did the install on the lower parts kit. yes I run the gun a little wet. It has the 5.56 chamber and I did use the forward assist. I pulled the upper off last night and gave everything a good scrubbing (and as mentioned above, I did remove alot of crap from the locking lug area). I didnt do a whole lot with the lower except wipe it down and re-oil. When I put it back together, everything was working fine.....

This morning, I went back to the range with high hopes that I had resolved the problem by cleaning up the gun.....WRONG. I put 10 rounds of the federal down range with no problems. Followed by 10 of the remington rounds. (The federals were hitting the ground only about a foot closer than the remmy's). So far so good, then I went back to the federals...on round #8, the trigger group locked up tight. I unloaded the mag, removed the upper and found the hammer in the cocked posistion. The trigger could not be pulled and the safety lever could not be moved. When I got home, I started to dismantle the lower. Even with the hammer out, the trigger was still locked up....pulled out the trigger pin, and finally was able to get movement. Discovered hiding under the trigger, between it and the lower, was a small (between 1/16" & 1/8") ball of brass. it looks like the anvil from the inside of a primer that got rolled up and wedged down in the action.

So I cleaned everything and put t back together. I'll try to test it again after work sunday.

Comment

The dreaded primer in the FCG. I have heard about it but I have still never experienced it.
                  "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                  8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                    The dreaded primer in the FCG. I have heard about it but I have still never experienced it.

I'd say problem solved.
                    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

We sent back several pallets, yes pallets, of cases of non-crimped Federal .223 ammo for blowing primers. We were on the range and actually had a full auto experience from a primer problem. We noted that out of 1 30 rnd mag, there were 8 primers in that weapons lower. We then immediately looked at the other 15 rifles on line at that time and found similar issues. We downed the ammo and sent it back. We now only buy and use crimped primer ammo.
                      The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Check to ensure the pistol grip screw is not too long or too tight. Sometimes you'll get one that is too tight or too long and it will come up underneath the trigger and keep it from reseting when live firing....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6360 users online. 375 members and 5985 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X