300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New shooting bag

I was at the range last week, shooting my Remington 700 LTR (.308win.) I was making the most out of my last week at the department, talking with our RO/SWAT Sniper. He was showing me his load-out kit, and working with me on my long-rifle shooting skills. Not so much the shooting part, but the "setup" procedures and developing a shooting plan. Anyway, one of the things I was most impressed with, is his shooting platform.

I've shot from unsupported prone, sling-supported prone, sandbags off a bench, and over the top of a pack. HOWEVER, I've never shot using a platform like the one I was shown. Needless to say, as soon as I got settled in down here in H-town, I scouted out a kit shop and picked one up!

Here is the shooting bag/platform I just picked up:

It doesn't look like much, but pay attention to the layout of the two front pockets. See how they're both kinda tall, and form something of a "trench" between them? Here's a better view with it laying down:

And THIS is what it looks like with the rifle set into the trench:

It's set in too deep in order to balance the rifle for the picture. When you're behind the rifle, you'll pull it back towards you just a little, ensuring the action is clear of the bag. There's plenty of stock still in the trench, and it gives you a GREAT shooting support!

One last picture, from BEHIND the rifle:

I cannot WAIT to get back out to the range with this setup. It promises to be an excellent field expedient shooting platform. Much better than just "over the bag" like I have been doing...
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Youre in Houston for the long haul? Got another LEO job lined up??

IM me if u need anything...

Comment

Originally posted by HMFIC View Post
      Youre in Houston for the long haul? Got another LEO job lined up??

IM me if u need anything...
      UPDATE on what's going on with me...
      J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jwise View Post
        UPDATE on what's going on with me...
        Dont know how I missed that thread...

Good Luck, stay in Harris COunty, we need good Prosecutors.....

Feel free to IM me if u need anything....

Comment

Yep, it works well. I have been refraining from picking up another pack since I have about ten of them. For my class next week I am just going to break out the old school alice pack.

The nice part about the Alice pack is the frame allows you to shoot over the top real well and clear the weeds, rocks, undulations of the ground, etc.

Is that a Condor Outdoor pack?
          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
          8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
            Yep, it works well. I have been refraining from picking up another pack since I have about ten of them. For my class next week I am just going to break out the old school alice pack.

The nice part about the Alice pack is the frame allows you to shoot over the top real well and clear the weeds, rocks, undulations of the ground, etc.

Is that a Condor Outdoor pack?
            Yes it is a Condor. It was only $75 as opposed to $165 for the Blackbawk equivalent. This pack sits pretty high, too, if your environment dictates a more elevated shooting position. Just shoot over the pack instead of "through" it.
            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

What class are you attending?
              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

NRA Precision Rifle Instructor School.

It's not cheap, but it should be interesting. I am hoping that it will give me more of an introduction to the Law Enforcement side of Sniping.
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

Excellent. I hope it turns out to be well worth the cost. I assume this is on your dime and time?
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately.

My own time (had to take vacation), my own dime (paid my way), and even my own gas (department turned down my request to drive my takehome).

I will try to give an after action report when I get done.

Comment

I look forward to reading it.

I'm proud of you for paying the cost to get further educated.

Good on ya!
                      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

I have been through several of the NRA instructor courses including the Precision Rifle Instructor course. It is pretty much on par with any of their instructor courses. Far from high speed but a solid foundation and good information for instruction. The NRA is good about stressing case law and up to date legal issues in all of their instructor courses which IMO is the biggest difference in LE counter sniping. The mechanics are the same, but theory and liability are another story. Another benefit is that the NRA LE certs are highly respected as far as teaching goes. On the LE side of things you can also get the civilian instructor cards so that is a benefit also.

I will say that a seasoned sniper may not find the NRA course as challenging as many other courses as far as actual shooting is concerned.

For LE sniping I would also highly suggest the NTOA courses or snipercraft.

I have several packs also but currently use this TAG pack.
                        http://www.optactical.com/noname19.html

We are currently trying to get all 8 of us guys equipped with the Eberlestock Phantom packs.
                        http://www.lapolicegear.com/eberlest...ifle-pack.html
                        Last edited by Surf; 08-17-2008, 03:43 AM.
                        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4118 users online. 236 members and 3882 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X