300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which gun: HK p30, S&W MP, Glock 17

Which one would you get? I've narrowed it down to these three since my department only allows 9mm caliber. Out of the 3 which would you prefer for your on-duty weapon. I'm going to the range hopefully some time next week to rent these 3 out and see which one I feel comfortable with. I would like to see what people have to say that have owned or fired any of the three.
    S&W M&P (9mm)
    26.53%
    Glock 17 (9mm)
    48.98%
    HK P30 (9mm)
    24.49%

One thats not plastic. But given the choice of those 3 Id say the Glock. As far as toy er polymer frames go they kind of set the standard. But XD's are coming up real strong. If I was you and I could carry any 9 mm Id get an all steel frame Sig. Yeah its a bit more but when you shoot it you can defently see where that extra cash goes.
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Comment

Anything but the glock.

Comment

This is going to get pretty subjective since the pistols you have listed are more or less fairly solid without any reputable issues; any of those three would be comparable for your needs. Hit the range, find the one that fits your hand the best and go from there.
        "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

I have shot all three extensively (+500 rnds) and I own a G17 that I've had for several years. In my opinion, there is only one choice if money is no object. The HK P30.

The P30 is light years ahead of the Glock and better than the M&P for ergonomics. Trigger on all three are very different. Glock has a very short reset, but I hate the stacking. The M&P is long and sproingy feeling. The HK is a DA/SA set up and the DA initial shot is long, but the reset is short enough with a good SA follow through. Recoil on all three are very manageable. Naturally since I have more trigger time behind the Glock, I can get back on target quicker than the others. Accuracy, as much as I loved my Glock, I'm the worst with it. The M&P points more naturally so I can shoot it a little more fine. The P30 was truly outstanding once I relearned the DA first shot.

If I was going to do it all over again and if the choices now were available a couple years back, I would have without a doubt picked the P30. That grip is absolutely fantastic. The size of it also makes it easier to carry off duty versus a full size G17 or M&P. Anyone who has yet to fire one, its a must.
          Last edited by R12GS; 08-12-2008, 10:39 PM.
          People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

Glock

I don't like the M&P trigger. I havent gotten to handle a "worked over" M&P but I really do not like the trigger on the stock models.

I have expressed my vile dislike for guns that require you to go DA/SA in other threads.
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by brad601 View Post
              One thats not plastic. But given the choice of those 3 Id say the Glock. As far as toy er polymer frames go they kind of set the standard. But XD's are coming up real strong. If I was you and I could carry any 9 mm Id get an all steel frame Sig. Yeah its a bit more but when you shoot it you can defently see where that extra cash goes.
              +1
              He teaches my hands to make war,
              so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
              Psalms 18:34

Comment

My agency issues the HK (USP40, not P30). Everone who carries one seems to likes it...
                As far DA/SA, its a thing to be gotten accustomed to. I did with my Colt Double Eagle...
                Here's a really good writeup on the p-30.

[URL="http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=313733"]
                Last edited by KenW.; 08-13-2008, 10:03 AM.
                I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by R12GS View Post

The P30 is light years ahead of the Glock and better than the M&P for ergonomics. Trigger on all three are very different. Glock has a very short reset, but I hate the stacking. The M&P is long and sproingy feeling. The HK is a DA/SA set up and the DA initial shot is long, but the reset is short enough with a good SA follow through. Recoil on all three are very manageable. Naturally since I have more trigger time behind the Glock, I can get back on target quicker than the others. Accuracy, as much as I loved my Glock, I'm the worst with it. The M&P points more naturally so I can shoot it a little more fine. The P30 was truly outstanding once I relearned the DA first shot.

As you can tell Im not a big fan of combat tupperware. But I am going to go to the range and see if they have a demo P30 to shoot. From what your saying it sounds alot like a Sig without the sloppy trigger. I'll post another whenever I get a day off to shoot one. Sometime next decade
                  Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Comment

Its pretty damned good. FWIW I now carry a SIG
                    People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

Of the 3 I would go with the Glock. I had a 17 several years ago and really liked it. I carry a H&K now and just haven't fallen in love with the trigger on it. I shoot my Glocks much better at the range. I haven't gotten to shoot an M&P yet but haven't heard many bad things about them. I have enough experience with other S&W semi autos that makes me go towards the Glock.

Comment

#1 - H&K
                        #2 - Glock
                        #3 - Just about anything over the S&W M&P
                        "Do or Do Not.............There is no try."
                        -Jedi Master Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by familymanbball View Post
                          #1 - H&K
                          #2 - Glock
                          #3 - Just about anything over the S&W M&P

I love how everyone bashes on the M&P. I have shot over 3,000 rounds through mine accurately without a single problem. I carry it on duty and would not trust my life with anything else at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by ERMDPD View Post
                            Which one would you get? I've narrowed it down to these three since my department only allows 9mm caliber. Out of the 3 which would you prefer for your on-duty weapon. I'm going to the range hopefully some time next week to rent these 3 out and see which one I feel comfortable with. I would like to see what people have to say that have owned or fired any of the three.
                            Do you have to buy the firearm? If that was the case I'd still go with the Smith...it will always fit your hand just right with the three backstraps...has a light rail for alternate rail lights on burglaries or felony stops and the gun shoots very smooth and you get a lifetime warranty with the pistol from an american company. We carry the M&P 40sw and we have had no problems yet..
                            "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by sap123 View Post
                              This is going to get pretty subjective since the pistols you have listed are more or less fairly solid without any reputable issues; any of those three would be comparable for your needs. Hit the range, find the one that fits your hand the best and go from there.
                              Thats actually better advice than I gave earlier...Above is the way to go...
                              "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3462 users online. 209 members and 3253 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X