300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I turned in my badge and gun...

On Friday, August 8th, 2008, I turned in my badge and gun, and left the life of fighting crime and suppressing evil. Well, maybe I just left the PROFESSION of fighting crime and suppressing evil…

I have been reading the Book of Five Rings where Miyamoto Musashi writes about the warrior’s life. Musashi was a samurai, but like many samurai (or, bushi, as he would prefer) he became unemployed when the Shoguns changed the social structure in the Tokugawa era. As an unemployed samurai, or ronin, Musashi had to forge ahead in a new career, while staying true to his warrior spirit.

I feel like I know how Musashi felt when he penned those words in 1643, as I now press forward in a new career, with an inability to let go of my warrior spirit.

I have moved from the Dallas area to north Houston, and will begin classes later this month at the University of Houston’s Law Center. I have been given an opportunity that few receive, and could not pass up the opportunity to earn a JD, gratis. I hope to practice law as a prosecuting attorney back in North Texas upon graduation, and will continue my oath to uphold the constitution and see that justice is served.

While I will miss my front row seat in the drama of life, I’m told the press boxes aren’t such a bad place to watch the show.

J. Wise

PS- Just to keep this "on-topic," I had to turn in my issued Glock 17 which was laser engraved with the Mesquite PD badge. It wasn't my duty weapon (personally owned Glock 21), so it wasn't too traumatic! However, I quickly picked up a commercial model, as I have gear and mags for the pistol and still wanted one! The local shop gave me a deal (cost), and I got it for $404.

My old issue weapon:

My old badge:

I finished six years with the department, all uniformed patrol. There wasn't anything else that interested me.
    Last edited by jwise; 08-11-2008, 03:42 PM.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Well congrats on persuing a new interest or goal. Its tough and sometimes nerve racking, but it makes us (j)wiser. I'm about to go through it myself.

A Book of 5 Rings is a great book....

Hopefully you'll still be posting here
    -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
    -Daniel Silva

Comment

Thanks. It is, and I will.
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Hey jwise, 6 years ain't no duck walk thats fer sure... To bad dept. didn't give ya your trusty mod. 17, nice piece. would have been nice if you could keep the badge too. J.D. in law ain't no duck walk either... Good luck to ya and keep on post'in.
        Sully
        Last edited by asullivan; 08-11-2008, 04:17 PM. Reason: a spell'in
        Originally posted by mookster
        Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
        Originally posted by CityCopDC
        I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
        Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
        I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
        -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Best of luck.

Law school is not that hard. You can work as a reserve officer on the side.
          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

We need prosecutors, too: "Ni Ten Ichi Ryu" (two swords one school)

Comment

Hey, I know Weapons Manufacturers keep lawyers on retainer...

Just sayin.

M-11
              “All men dream...... But not equally..
              Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
              but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
              for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Good Luck, J wise. I'm sure you will do well as a prosecuter. Just don't ever go to the darkside...........LOL
                The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

The FBI likes JD's. My kid brother starts law school in a week and I am trying to talk him into using it in Federal LE, we'll see. Good luck to ya.

Comment

Originally posted by jwise View Post
                    On Friday, August 8th, 2008, I turned in my badge and gun, and left the life of fighting crime and suppressing evil. Well, maybe I just left the PROFESSION of fighting crime and suppressing evil…

I have been reading the Book of Five Rings where Miyamoto Musashi writes about the warrior’s life. Musashi was a samurai, but like many samurai (or, bushi, as he would prefer) he became unemployed when the Shoguns changed the social structure in the Tokugawa era. As an unemployed samurai, or ronin, Musashi had to forge ahead in a new career, while staying true to his warrior spirit.

I feel like I know how Musashi felt when he penned those words in 1643, as I now press forward in a new career, with an inability to let go of my warrior spirit.

I have moved from the Dallas area to north Houston, and will begin classes later this month at the University of Houston’s Law Center. I have been given an opportunity that few receive, and could not pass up the opportunity to earn a JD, gratis. I hope to practice law as a prosecuting attorney back in North Texas upon graduation, and will continue my oath to uphold the constitution and see that justice is served.

While I will miss my front row seat in the drama of life, I’m told the press boxes aren’t such a bad place to watch the show.

J. Wise

PS- Just to keep this "on-topic," I had to turn in my issued Glock 17 which was laser engraved with the Mesquite PD badge. It wasn't my duty weapon (personally owned Glock 21), so it wasn't too traumatic! However, I quickly picked up a commercial model, as I have gear and mags for the pistol and still wanted one! The local shop gave me a deal (cost), and I got it for $404.

My old issue weapon:

My old badge:

I finished six years with the department, all uniformed patrol. There wasn't anything else that interested me.

What ? come on jwise....your a true street cop.....what you got is the blood of a cop. I hope to see a post later on saying you picked up a reserve position or even a part time gig.

well if anything best of luck in your new career.......

on a side note, that badge is a real beauty.
                    Last edited by eman2k5; 08-11-2008, 05:46 PM.
                    sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Last edited by toasterlocker; 07-05-2013, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Best of luck jwise!!! It's a good thing to have prosecutors with real world experience and even better when they've seen the streets as a peace officer. As much as I've enjoyed working with most prosecutors, there's a world of difference between the kids just out of law school looking for a little experience and dedicated professionals. I know you are the later and will be, even if and when you move from a district attorney's office to the bench. (Don't discount the possibility, it happens all the time.) Keep in touch and remember your roots!
                        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Best of luck jwise. You can still keep up the good fight it'll just be inside the courtroom instead of the street. We could all use some good warriors in the courts.

Comment

$10 that jwise is the Sheriff of Dallas County in 15 years.
                            No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
                            -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.

Comment

Good luck on your new adventures, Jwise. We, as a LEO community, hate to see you go, but I'm sure everyone is with me in hoping you will return to prosecute those we send your way.

Oh, and don't turn into one of "those" lawyers

Good luck, man.
                              1*

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3101 users online. 150 members and 2951 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X