Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

Hello All:

I want to know if I ought to become an explorer. I'm already 17 (Will be 18 here in less than 25 days. , even though exploring goes until a person is 21, but I want to go on more ride-alongs.

I was a Fire Explorer for 3 Years, so I have some experience in public service. I don't know what made make the switch, but now I feel that Law Enforcement seems so much more rewarding.

What do you guys think?

Also, what kinds of things to police/sheriff explorers train for at your meets?
    Last edited by CSchuman; 08-05-2008, 01:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
    All Gave Some. Some Gave All.
    FDNY - 343 - 9/11/2001

God Bless the Charleston 9. Godspeed Brothers.sigpic

Go for it. Contact a couple post in your area and see what different things people are doing. Visit some meetings/open houses.
    "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

Originally posted by lpstopper View Post
      Go for it. Contact a couple post in your area and see what different things people are doing. Visit some meetings/open houses.
      Agreed! I love Explorers. I get mad when its canceled

We just like started over planning a lot of things. And i signed up for a SOG team Hopefully ill make it passed the tests...!
      Cant wait to get out there!!!

Richard Francis 1948 - 2008
      Killed in the line of duty.

Comment

If you're just going into your senior year of High School, totally go join a post.

If you just graduated and are starting college, you might want to look into finding an internship at a department.

Comment

Originally posted by Arabella View Post
          If you're just going into your senior year of High School, totally go join a post.

If you just graduated and are starting college, you might want to look into finding an internship at a department.
          I agree with Arabella. When I was an explorer we trained in every scenario police officers respond to. IE: hostage negotiation, bomb search and seizure, traffic stops, felony traffic stops, domestic disturbances, accident investigations, shoot/don't shoot, handcuffing and takedown techniques. We also went to state and national competitions and competed in handling these scenarios. We all had a blast.

Comment

I've done bike patrol, high school security, and even have gotten paid well as a school police assistant by my high school (introduced through exploring).... in just about 2 years, so definitely go for it, because in a short time you can learn and do a lot.

My post's meetings are fairly basic and repeat every year, but we've had classes covering the K-9 unit, SWAT, defensive tactics, criminal investigations division, building searches, traffic stops, dispatching, and basic first aid.

Last year I was on a bike almost every weekend for four to six hours on city recreation trails, and I've worked football and basketball games acting as security, for the high school.

There's lots of opportunities. My post doesn't do competitions unfortunately, but in 2 years I have had fun in actual field work, and ride-alongs.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Arabella View Post

Or think about joining as a Cadet.
              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
              that we are all that stands between
              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

You should go back to the fire department. Everybody loves a fireman.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5491 users online. 302 members and 5189 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X