300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheriff or Police Explorer

This is a question for the explorers who are with a county sheriff's department. Do you consider yourself a Sheriff's Explorer or a Police Explorer?
    eek:

Well a sheriff's department is not a police department. It is called law enforcement exploring, officially. An explorer in a sheriff's department would be a sheriff's explorer, as is an explorer in a PD called a police explorer. As is an explorer in a fire department a fire explorer.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Drummadude12 View Post
      Well a sheriff's department is not a police department. It is called law enforcement exploring, officially. An explorer in a sheriff's department would be a sheriff's explorer, as is an explorer in a PD called a police explorer. As is an explorer in a fire department a fire explorer.
      Okay, sorry I did not clarify this enough. The city where I am an explorer in is what is called a "contract city." The officers/deputies are employed by the local sheriff's department. They went to a sheriff's academy and graduated as deputies. But the thing is is that they call them police. The units say police and the patches say police. It is considered "Police." But they are deputies so I was wondering if anyone else has this in there department and if so what do you consider yourself?
      eek:

Comment

Sheriff's Explorer.

Comment

Originally posted by explorer7550 View Post
          Okay, sorry I did not clarify this enough. The city where I am an explorer in is what is called a "contract city." The officers/deputies are employed by the local sheriff's department. They went to a sheriff's academy and graduated as deputies. But the thing is is that they call them police. The units say police and the patches say police. It is considered "Police." But they are deputies so I was wondering if anyone else has this in there department and if so what do you consider yourself?
          Ahh well that's different. I was once going to move to a town that did that. That is confusing.

Personally, I'd take the easy way out and say I'm a law enforcement explorer.
          sigpic

Comment

You're an Explorer easy as that, you have no affiliation with the Department.

Comment

Originally posted by Stewie View Post
              You're an Explorer easy as that, you have no affiliation with the Department.
              Well yes that is true but I am most certainly not a Fire explorer or an EMS explorer.
              eek:

Comment

Well no but I would say Law Enforcement Explorer is your best bet, and does not have affiliation to the Department you explore.

Comment

Well no but I would say Law Enforcement Explorer is your best bet, and does not have affiliation to the Department you explore.
                  Please do not take it as I am questioning you I really do mean all the respect in the world so would you have a problem with an explorer calling themselve a Sheriff's Explorer?
                  eek:

Comment

Please do not take it as I am questioning you I really do mean all the respect in the world so would you have a problem with an explorer calling themselve a Sheriff's Explorer?
                    Me? No but I know my Sheriff would have a problem with it due to you know a person screwing it up for everyone and somehow people would assume your affiliated with the department. Which then makes him look bad and you know Sheriff's are politicians and would not have that. I'm just saying it more universal to just be called a LE Exploerer since that's what it is no matter what level of gov't you're exploring.

Comment

Me? No but I know my Sheriff would have a problem with it due to you know a person screwing it up for everyone and somehow people would assume your affiliated with the department. Which then makes him look bad and you know Sheriff's are politicians and would not have that. I'm just saying it more universal to just be called a LE Exploerer since that's what it is no matter what level of gov't you're exploring.
                      Once again with all due respect... In our department we wear the same uniform as the deputies. The only difference is that it say EXPLORER under our department patches. So in my opinion we are already representing the Sheriff's department. I don't think unless somebody payed that much attention (as you well know most people we deal with don't) they can't tell a difference. They just see a uniform.
                      eek:

Comment

Once again with all due respect... In our department we wear the same uniform as the deputies. The only difference is that it say EXPLORER under our department patches. So in my opinion we are already representing the Sheriff's department. I don't think unless somebody payed that much attention (as you well know most people we deal with don't) they can't tell a difference. They just see a uniform.
                        Lots of people don't like explorers... One of the best things it taught me was to have thick skin.
                        Last edited by FF Expl. Lt.; 08-23-2008, 01:33 AM.
                        If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Ignored:
                        juicesnn4e2

Comment

Originally posted by FF Expl. Lt. View Post
                          People don't like explorers... One of the best things it taught me was to have thick skin.
                          People like us as much as they like the full-timers.

Comment

Yea I totally understand about the thick skin thing because (although our uniform shirts differ from the full timers) our county citizens don't have a clue of the difference between us and deputies so they may be just as rude to us as they would to a deputy and we are expected to be able to deal with it and as far as the name goes our badges say Sheriff Office on them so yea we are pretty much always affiliated with our sheriff

Comment

As an explorer you certainly are a representative of your respective department. Obviously the expectations are much higher for non-volunteer personnel. If a Chief or Sheriff has an issue with not wanting their explorers representing their department they should not allow the program to operate in their organization or they should get a new group of explorers.

I am not singling our Stewie by any means because I think these sentiments are common and often justified. However explorer bashing really grinds on me. If your department Explorers are lacking or you think they are pointless remember two things:

1: If your explorers are lacking it is because your explorer program is not properly selecting, instructing, and training them.

2: If you have an explorer program but dont think you need one that means somebody more important than you thinks your agency should have one.
                              "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”

— John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5143 users online. 259 members and 4884 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X