Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mlhelleckson View Post
    (and their insurance policy).
    And that would be why my faith still lies in my nice heavy flashlight, and the trusty radio that brings friends with guns.

Luckily, I have never been in a situation where the flashlight has been needed, and I've only had to call for cover twice, both times while patrolling our downtown area during the evening. Stupid drunks...

Comment

. .
      Last edited by mlhelleckson; 02-04-2013, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Explorers with some kind of defensive weapon has the major positive point of giving explorers and cadets a last resort to getting out of a tight situation. There's also the negative point that quite a few explorers and cadets can't be trusted with any kind of defensive weapon, and then it becomes a liability issue. If our department decided to give us defensive weapons, I am sad to say that half of the post would be gone because we wouldn't be able to trust them. Even after that, though... do you really know who can be trusted to make good decisions?

Comment

Well......

Last edited by C-11; 10-02-2007, 07:54 PM.

Comment

WOW what an interesting thread, I have enjoyed seeing what all of you have had to say, As a former explorer I sure I sounded allot like your guys. Allot has been said on this topic. So im going to bring up some points that have not been mentioned.

You are not a paid employeed by the municipality your volunteering with. By willingly participating in the program your are willingly putting yourself in the line to be hurt injured etc. (as any other activity/sports) While police officers also go into that line of work willingly, they are duty bound to put themselves into tight situations (but at a last resort) but thats why they go through an Academy, FTO program, etc. There is allot more to Defensive Tactics, Use of Force items then what is brought up in an 8 hour course that you would recieve. Police officers have a duty to act! Thats why they carry those items they are there not only for the defense of oneself but for that of the public as well. If you are given these "weapons" and are on duty as a volunteer during an event, and something happens people are going to expect you to act. You have no mandate or duty to act, than that of a average citizen. Even though you are wearing a uniform you are just a citizen. If you do act and f' it up here comes the law suits. Someone said how are we supposed to learn if we never are allowed out of the car.... do you think police officers only learn during the FTO program? The academy which you all DONT have sets the foundations that the FTO program builds upon. The program is to not teach you all how to be the POLICE. It teaches you what to expect from being the police. You can do that in a class room. Ride alongs are just so you can see what a day in the life of a police officer is about, when its slow when its fast, daily routines, etc.

I tried not to repeat what everyone else said. comment back let me know if you understand what im saying, and if it makes sense to you guys! oh and LIABILITY LIABILITY LIABILITY!!!! Whoever said that you are soooo right, Thats the name of the game boys get used to it now.
            Who you calling twig pigs? we prefer tree police thank you!

Comment

oh and dont make fun of my spelling errors i know there are plenty!

Comment

Thank you ParkCop....

You pointed out the essential points....not ALL the learning takes place out of the classroom or out of the car.

There is an explorer in our group who is extremely gung ho and while it's good to be excited and endeavor toward this career, his excitement about this has caused friction. He was handed Sgt. stripes by a previous advisor simply because he had the most ride-alongs...not because of his proficiency in the knowledge of law enforcement. He tends to talk and act as though his stripes apply to the patrol officers.

He has been seen in the community in his explorer uniform when not doing a planned function or ride-along.

Almost all the officers in the dept. choose not to have him in their car because he has a thing about touching everything in the car...moving radars, cameras, etc.

In connection to this discussion directly, he has a strong desire to have offensive/defensive weapons and has asked about it repeatedly. He wears his duty belt to represent the usage of all of it without the actual items.

He concerns most in the department that his teenage mind will over-ride common sense one of these days and he will act as the police if the opportunity presents itself, causing himself danger as well as others.
                "Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness,heart, talent, guts. That's what little girls are made of; the heck with sugar and spice." - Female Surfer Bethany Hamilton

Comment

The village needs to get rid of that guy, He is gonna cause them some bad press if he keeps it up.

Comment

Originally posted by dainv View Post
                    Thank you ParkCop....

You pointed out the essential points....not ALL the learning takes place out of the classroom or out of the car.

There is an explorer in our group who is extremely gung ho and while it's good to be excited and endeavor toward this career, his excitement about this has caused friction. He was handed Sgt. stripes by a previous advisor simply because he had the most ride-alongs...not because of his proficiency in the knowledge of law enforcement. He tends to talk and act as though his stripes apply to the patrol officers.

He has been seen in the community in his explorer uniform when not doing a planned function or ride-along.

Almost all the officers in the dept. choose not to have him in their car because he has a thing about touching everything in the car...moving radars, cameras, etc.

In connection to this discussion directly, he has a strong desire to have offensive/defensive weapons and has asked about it repeatedly. He wears his duty belt to represent the usage of all of it without the actual items.

He concerns most in the department that his teenage mind will over-ride common sense one of these days and he will act as the police if the opportunity presents itself, causing himself danger as well as others.
                    That kids needs to be disciplined and even afterwards most likely kicked out. That kind of action should simply not be tolerated. I myself have "explorer stripes" and have never done any of those things. Sounds like this kid has a sense of entitlement when he shouldn't.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4137 users online. 257 members and 3880 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X