300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Events

With spring already in and summer awaiting, just wanted to know what types of events you guys work for the spring/summer. Whats your biggest event and what do you usually do during this event?
    Our biggest event is ribfest. More then 600,000 people attend this event in a 4 day period. It will be 5 days this year. This event is crazy. Last year Sister Hazel played and this year we have many popular bands, but the most popular this year is Los lonely boys. At this event we do foot patrol, bike patrol, and traffic. It is a blast. I had so much fun working this event last year. We also have another event in August similar to ribfest, however it does not attract as many people. Coming up we have the police auction, this year they are auctioning off around 70 seized cars. Last year they only did 10 cars and there were a tonnnn of people there. I cant wait for these great events.
    So lets hear it, what types of events do you guys work? Whats your biggest event? What do you do at these events?

As always stay safe out there.

In my city there's always a bike convention called "Street Vibrations" that attracts a lot of people. In a neighboring city (Reno) there is a rib cook-off and nationally recognized chili cook-off that always attracts a ton of people.

Edit: Oh, and in Reno there's Hot August Nights, a huge classic car convention with different entertainers. In the past there have been performers such as The Village People, The Beach Boys, and The Temptations.
    Last edited by superkoopa; 03-31-2007, 03:22 PM.

Comment

In my city we have our annual fourth of July fireworks on the Detorit river (usually have about 100k-200k show up). We usually do foot patrol, golf cart patrol, or ride in a car with an officer.

Then we have a classic car cruise. it goes thought 4 cities and stretches about 7 miles one way (I think). We team up with other agencies including the state police and patrol the area the same as the fireworks.

Finally we have our art fair. They shut down the streets downtown and have art vendors in the streets selling things. We usually patrol by foot. Then at night we work security for the beer tent (making sure nobody brings in/out alcohol).

Comment

Out here we have two major events we work. One is Lapeer Days which is a cheesy festival that takes up the whole downtown and thousands of people attend. They usually have bands and beertents. We usually work during the day and take care of traffic control and some foot patrol. Our second event is a hot air balloon launch in the south end of the county. A ton of pople attend that event too so we also take care of traffic control along with local agencies. Sometimes we'll work at the Eastern Michigan fair and thats usually pretty quiet because its usually just livestock and bands. Last year we worked Youth Alcohols Stings and that was pretty fun, that was a first for us and hopefully we'll do it again.

Comment

In my city there's always a bike convention called "Street Vibrations"
          that attracts a lot of people. In a neighboring city (Reno) there is a rib cook-off and nationally recognized chili cook-off that always attracts a ton of people.

Edit: Oh, and in Reno there's Hot August Nights, a huge classic car convention with different entertainers. In the past there have been performers such as The Village People, The Beach Boys, and The Temptations.
          We also have "farmers markets" every week during the summer in sparks, but they turn into college drunk fests after about 10:00pm

Supercoopa;

We better get ready for it, this year from my understanding it is supposed to be bigger than last year. 10-10's with 10-56 subjects, oh goody, sounds like fun!

Does CSO stage to roll over to reno in case of riot's?

Comment

I'll be in Missouri for the National Explorer Academy with the Military Police :-D
            Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by mlhelleckson
              Does CSO stage to roll over to reno in case of riot's?
              I'm pretty sure they do, but not positive. We're stretched really thin anyways, the smallest police agency per capita in Nevada. At a given time there is only 8 deputies on duty at a time, sometimes only 5 at night. With traffic through Carson City, there is an average of 80,000 people inside the city, that's 1 deputy for 10,000 people. :\
              Last edited by superkoopa; 04-02-2007, 09:15 PM.

Comment

I know, I am good friends with one of the deputies over there. You guys have it pretty rough when Sh*^ hits the fan.

Comment

Originally posted by mlhelleckson
                  I know, I am good friends with one of the deputies over there. You guys have it pretty rough when Sh*^ hits the fan.
                  Yep, even thought I swear there are a lot more than 8 deputies on duty at a time, because with 150 paid employees (let's say 50 are non-sworn non-LE) that's 100 deputies and it seems like there could be a lot on duty at a time. Who knows, there has not been a definitive number yet. Okay, now I'm starting to derail. Continue with the summer event sharing

Comment

Are most of your sworn guys part time or RO's? That number does seem high for only 8 per shift.

P.S. I like the new avatar!

Comment

Well I can officially call BS to the amount of deputies, at least at night time. About 30 minutes ago a car got pulled over a few houses up from me and there 1 was deputy and 1 supervisor. From then until now at least 5 different deputies drove by and then drove off elsewhere. There are WAY more than 8 on, even at night. Oh, and pretty much all are full-time.

Edit: Hah thanks for the comment, but I just made an awesome one of an NHP Charger, it's some nice eye candy, eh? By the way, if anyone wants a pretty flashy one like mine, I'll make for ya. Just PM me the image of the car or if you have no preference I'll find an image.
                      Last edited by superkoopa; 04-07-2007, 12:29 AM.

Comment

4th of July and the Garlic Festival off of the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by 10-19
                          4th of July and the Garlic Festival off of the top of my head.
                          Gilroy, eh? Always looked fun.

Comment

Originally posted by superkoopa View Post
                            Gilroy, eh? Always looked fun.
                            They are in Gilroy but I'm not one of theirs.

We (Post 811) have had some problems with Gilroy's bunch but I was not around for that last year. Should be interesting nevertheless.

Comment

We have a few events that go on during the summer. We help out PAL with their summer trips, work special events in the city, such as in the parks and downtown, and then each year the have the annual county fair, which is held at the event center in our city.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3104 users online. 191 members and 2913 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X