300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nacorbier
    The only thing I can say on this topic is a reminder that most states prohibit a minor from having chemical spray, so this makes the point moot.

If it IS legal, then I could see adult (18+ explorers) carrying OC if their state allows it, with a reminder that they are personally choosing to carry it for personal protection, then have the agency make anyone carrying it sign a waver stating the agency does not authorize its use.

In other words: IF they have the right as civilians to carry it, they should be able to. Otherwise, do not extend things private citizens cannot do onto explorers, else your agency will incur massive liability. One for arming a child, second for arming them when civilians may not be.
    That's what I think, but put more clearly.
    Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

The only problem I have with that is the fact that they're acting in a department capacity whenever they're in uniform. If they are to carry it, get them to apply as a reserve officer with that department, go through the req'd training, and then (maybe) can they carry it in an explorer capacity.
      Oh, and re: not always within earshot/radio usage. Nor are my guys. Sometimes it's us, and one of our advisors (only one of which is a deputy, no reserves), and that would be it for "enforcement" types. This starts year 5 for me as an explorer, and NEVER have I felt that it would have "been nice to have OC." Maybe I'm an exception, but in my post, no explorer will ever carry OC. Ever.
      TPD: Cadet doesn't equal explorer. We have much looser standards. One of our new rookie explorers (which we call cadets, strangely enough) has admitted to me (and two Sgt's, and a few explorers) that he gets weed for his friends, and drank on the weekends. Stupid, yeah. Illegal, oh yeah. Do we accept him? Yeah...I just wish I could have been in on the interview that night (prior commitment).

Comment

Tazor/ Pepper Spray Issue

In my post we are tazored but are not allowed to carry one. For one our department can't afford to buy them for all the officers, and second it would be a huge liability issue. We are allowed once we have been sprayed, and certifyed to carry pepper spray. We have really strict rules and if any one screws up, we will loose it for our whole post for ever. The only time we can use it is if we are commanded to do so by a Deputy or are getting the crap beat out of us. Now I understand it is not good to put Explorers in these situations but even when you are a Cop you can't tell me that **** does not happen.

Comment

Originally posted by TPD Cadet
          I understand, but my in my post you have to pass a cadet board, and an advisor board, at which point we can say.
          "Sorry bud, but you are not mature enough"
          Do you guys let everyone in?
          Unfortunately yes...we have a more casual type posts (still in uniform and stuff), but its really relaxed. People are only kicked out for doing something stupid while an explorer (ie: bringing a weapon, talking back, constantly 'forgetting' to wear uniform to public events).

I'm looking into joining a sheriff's department one and see how that works...i like my local one cause i know the officers and such but some explorers are just annoying and a few cannot be officers based on medical problems (some metal) and tickets and stuff...ours seem just to be for letting people look at law enforcement and get what u want out of it. Since i want to be an officer everything we go over is taken to heart but some just do it for fun

Comment

Originally posted by onyx1976
            I second that notion, but what if, with proper training mabey???
            i say no based solely on age...explorers are (at least in our case) no longer allowed to be explorers at 20...(can still remain on as junior advisors). If they want to get pepper spray or w/e and get training and carry it on thier own time that is fine. But explorers should never take action, and are not offically allowed to carry anything. In our post if u even attempt to u will be gone before you can get out an explaination.

Originally posted by letshearit4blue
            Sometimes things come to you whether you like it or not.
            And, I don't know about other posts, but we are not constantly at the elbow of an LEO who can "protect us" if something goes bad. They're not always within eyeshot, sometimes not within earshot, and not every post has radios.
            Its unsafe, yes, I'm just saying how it is, I'm not saying that's how it should be.
            i am aware of that...we run secruity assistance at a fair in town and don't always have a radio and such. We had a small incident with someone acting aggressively towards an explorer. The explorer did what he was supposed to do, he backed away and sought out an officer. There is a chance of something happens but carrying OC will elevate the level of violence. Police are not only trained in OC use, cause after the OC is used the situation isn't over, they still have to go hands on. Injuries will occuring 99% of the time if some young kid (under 20) attempts to OC a older adult. And remeber OC doesn't stop everyone, officers have to fight through it in the academy and citizens can fight the effects. All explorers should just back away, because they hold no extra authority, and its a HUGE liablity issue

Comment

I see where yall are coming from with all this, age and maturity is the deal breaker on this. If you post are not a "top standard" post, then don
              Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Im not saying I think we should carry OC (There really is no need). But my group is mature enough to do it if it were to happen. Maturity is not an issue here. I feel for ya Chris, I know an explorer post in this area that is more of a daycare than anything, but we are here to learn law enforcement legalities, and patrol proceedures, etc.

Chris, Good luck getting into that SO's post.
                U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
                Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisG

I'm looking into joining a sheriff's department one and see how that works...i like my local one cause i know the officers and such but some explorers are just annoying and a few cannot be officers based on medical problems
                  Chris, I see you are in NY. Which county are you in?
                  Ya know us sheriff explorers have more fun
                  Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by letshearit4blue
                    Chris, I see you are in NY. Which county are you in?
                    Ya know us sheriff explorers have more fun
                    Monroe...actually our department lets us do more...MCSO explorers go paintballing (from what i hear), we go to the academy and run PRISM and get to shoot 5 rounds becasue one of our explorers' parent is a firearms instructor for RPD...but i'm looking into the SO as well, just want to see what else they do. Not sure if i'm gonna have the time tho; got work, school, and explorers

Comment

If explorer has several written recommendations from officers, advisors, and watch commanders based on behavior on ride-alongs and in emergency situations, is over 18, allowed to by law, and can only use it if under active physical battery, then I would approve.

I hear from explorers who carry it, I hear from people concerned about it, I haven't heard from agencies that have had problems with it, though. Also, if you restrict the use of the OC tigther than the law restricts it, even if there's a wobbler decision and the explorer decides wrong, he'd just be breaking policy, but not a law.
                      Last edited by AnthonyM83; 10-08-2005, 03:58 AM.

Comment

the Boy Scouts of American from what i heard do not allow any weapons to be carried (maybe a pocket knife) and as Hailstorm said "Learning For Life organization explitictly bans any weapons to be carried/used by an explorer." So if your organization is a member of those to you are not 'supposed' to carry

Comment

Monroe...actually our department lets us do more...MCSO explorers go paintballing (from what i hear), we go to the academy and run PRISM and get to shoot 5 rounds becasue one of our explorers' parent is a firearms instructor for RPD...but i'm looking into the SO as well, just want to see what else they do. Not sure if i'm gonna have the time tho; got work, school, and explorers
                          Hey, are you in Greece explorers? Cuz I've been hearin' they've been saying we do jack and just play laser tag!
                          LOL "from what you hear"... We tried to go earlier this year, I didn't keep up on it though I think just a couple went. We DID go to laser tag... that was fun :-)

yup we've been trying to arrange paintballing, Us VS. SWAT team. hahaha they'll own us...

Did you go to explorer academy this past year? We go to PSTF and we ran PRISM too, unfortunately it was the ONE meeting I missed this year and the one I wanted to go to most.

Hey, you should join our forums, go to our site www.geocities.com/mcso604
                          mmm I dunno how people here'd take an explorer from another post joining up, but hey, ya never know.
                          If you've got any questions about it, just send me a PM.

Sorry for the hijack, everyone

Comment

Monroe...actually our department lets us do more...MCSO explorers go paintballing (from what i hear), we go to the academy and run PRISM and get to shoot 5 rounds
                            Hey wait a second did you just dis my post?
                            And my slowness in picking up on this in no way represents our other members...

Comment

Yes, We do all of those things too. I know Bob [email protected]#$'s daughter is in your post. 5 rounds is nothing. We can do live fire. Who told you we only do paintball?

Comment

no dis ment, since i haven't joined the MCSO explorers its only hear say...some explorer mentioned it in one of our meetings, maybe i shouldn't have taken his word

it would be cool if we could get an event organized w/ both posts
                                Last edited by ChrisG; 11-02-2005, 06:20 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2685 users online. 185 members and 2500 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X