Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Police Explorers carrying pepper spray

Hey,
    I was wondering if any explorers had anything to say about letting the explorers carry pepper spray and tasers(?), not sure if I spelled that right, but I'm trying to do paper on it for school, so let me know what you think. Thanks.

I think it's one of the worst ideas in the world. If you do a search for pepper spray/mace/taser/baton and explorer, you will get many opinions, most of which are similar to mine.

Comment

no explorer should ever be put in a situation where they would need anything but maybe a flashlight...explorers have no authority and shouldn't be confronting or becoming involved in something that would require pepper spray. They have to follow civilian rules, that means defensive only (non-aggressive), an officer should be around in most cases so self defense would be rare if any.Explorers are not police and should never act as tho they are, the position of explorer is just that, to explore and learn about police work; not become actively invovled. Most explorer programs have a 5$ or so insurance fee, that alone should show u that is just a safety thing, mostly for ride-along accidents. A department would be screwed if a explorer was supposed to, or allowed to step up and use force.

and the taser would be a huge liability issue, and honestly being an explorering and seeing the people that join (most lacking anything near common sense or maturity) I would never trust a explorer to decide whether he/she should use force (but that goes unsaid with my 1st point that no explorer should be exposed to dangerous situations).

Comment

Liability

No way. If I caught one here I would have an X Explorer on my hands.

Comment

That is just awful. I believe in explorers getting a chance to feel the affect of oc, but as far as carrying it NO. Being an Explorer, the most authority I get is they auhtority of traffic direction, that is one thing I can say I'm good at. Yesterday myself and one other explorer directed 4-way traffic with pedestrians crossing. My advisor reminded us that if we cause an MVA or someone getts hurt, we are screwed. After it was over he asked us "there was no tire screeching right?" The only other time I have authority is if an LEO askes me to do something specific, but nothing to prestiges.

Comment

I say no tasers under any circumstances.
            If you're old enough to legally carry OC as a civi and have been "tested" on it, I say go for it.
            Still, no-tolerance for misuse.
            Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

In my dept, no Civilian Observers (Ride-Alongs) can carry any form of weapon. If anyone here was cought with OC they would be out in a heartbeat. We would not give them the time of day to explain, just turn in your uniform and gear and have a nice life! We make that very clear on the second night of every new recruitment class.
              U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
              Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

Thanks

Thanks. That was great feedback!

Comment

I am totally against tasers, but OC is another subject altogether. One reason that I'm against tasers, is because in my department, the officers carrying them must be tased before carrying. I definetly am not getting my butt fried for something I'll never get to use as an explorer anyway! If you are in a situation where someone needs to be tased and the officer leaves you alone, the it's going to be his rear end on the line. As for OC spray, I'm all for it. If Explorers are willing to be tested and certified, then great! Otherwise, forget it. The last thing a department needs is the liability of an explorer getting their OC taken away by the bad guy and having it used on them. But, in some areas, and on some calls, we do need something to protect ourselves, and something as non-lethal and easy to use as OC is perfect.

Comment

A) OC is considered "less than lethal" not "non-lethal"
                    B) You as an explorer (or I for that matter) should never be placed in a situation that would require any use of force
                    C) If one of my explorers (again, or I) found themselves in a situation that could possibly end in bodily harm (to them or to anyone else), I'd expect them to back away (run if necessary), use the means of communication which is given to them for that detail, and remain non-confrontational at all times.
                    D) The Learning For Life organization explitictly bans any weapons to be carried/used by an explorer.
                    From: http://www.learning-for-life.org/exp...cy/p-cars.html
                    C. The following offensive/defensive equipment use and carrying (other than in training experiences) is prohibited: firearms, chemical sprays, and baton.
                    Pretty good idea to run your post by, even if you're not sanctioned through LFL.

Comment

My dept have been looking in to OC for cadets for some tiem, but are still undecided, now LFL can go ****** them selves for all i care because we dont use them because they syck, Any way, whats holding us back is us being DPS we have to find a way to secure it when teh cadet is doing fire/medical, and most of the time there isnt a place for them. But imho, all for it, if I as a LEO get it, then they do to, but they get sprayed a few time by us too.
                      Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Roger That!

Originally posted by ChrisG
                        no explorer should ever be put in a situation where they would need anything but maybe a flashlight...explorers have no authority and shouldn't be confronting or becoming involved in something that would require pepper spray. They have to follow civilian rules, that means defensive only (non-aggressive), an officer should be around in most cases so self defense would be rare if any.Explorers are not police and should never act as tho they are, the position of explorer is just that, to explore and learn about police work; not become actively invovled. Most explorer programs have a 5$ or so insurance fee, that alone should show u that is just a safety thing, mostly for ride-along accidents. A department would be screwed if a explorer was supposed to, or allowed to step up and use force.

and the taser would be a huge liability issue, and honestly being an explorering and seeing the people that join (most lacking anything near common sense or maturity) I would never trust a explorer to decide whether he/she should use force (but that goes unsaid with my 1st point that no explorer should be exposed to dangerous situations).
                        I second that notion, but what if, with proper training mabey???

Comment

of course and explorer shouldn't be put in a situation where he should need OC, but just because he shouldn't doesn't mean it won't happen. Sometimes things come to you whether you like it or not.
                          And, I don't know about other posts, but we are not constantly at the elbow of an LEO who can "protect us" if something goes bad. They're not always within eyeshot, sometimes not within earshot, and not every post has radios.
                          Its unsafe, yes, I'm just saying how it is, I'm not saying that's how it should be.
                          Don't shoot the messenger.
                          Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisG
                            (most lacking anything near common sense or maturity)
                            I understand, but my in my post you have to pass a cadet board, and an advisor board, at which point we can say.

"Sorry bud, but you are not mature enough"

Do you guys let everyone in?
                            U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
                            Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

The only thing I can say on this topic is a reminder that most states prohibit a minor from having chemical spray, so this makes the point moot.

If it IS legal, then I could see adult (18+ explorers) carrying OC if their state allows it, with a reminder that they are personally choosing to carry it for personal protection, then have the agency make anyone carrying it sign a waver stating the agency does not authorize its use.

In other words: IF they have the right as civilians to carry it, they should be able to. Otherwise, do not extend things private citizens cannot do onto explorers, else your agency will incur massive liability. One for arming a child, second for arming them when civilians may not be.
                              N. A. Corbier
                              Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
                              Visiting Commando Leader

If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6521 users online. 363 members and 6158 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X