300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to age out soon...

I'm going to be turning 21 in January, and I haven't even met anyone in the Post. Will I have enough time to do the training/rank work? I was looking on the LFL site about Exploring, but will it be possible to still work on any of the advancement stuff past 21 or will I be officially aged out at 21?
    Last edited by snachodog; 08-17-2005, 11:16 PM.
    *NOT a LEO*

Learning is not compulsory. . . neither is survival.
    -Deming

my livejournal

Originally posted by snachodog
    I'm going to be turning 21 in January, and I haven't even met anyone in the Post. Will I have enough time to do the training/rank work? I was looking on the LFL site about Exploring, but will it be possible to still work on any of the advancement stuff post 21 or will I be officially aged out at 21?
    In my opinion, it is time for you to move on. The Explorer program is for kids; you are an adult now. Perhaps you should consider college and a law enforcement reserve program.

Comment

I agree. Time to leave the "kids stuff" and move into the field. If you are trying to hold on to your EXP program at 21 there maybe a need to change professions..............

TGY
      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Actually, I'm 20, not yet 21.
        I am in college, fully on my way to an Associate's Degree in Law Enforcement and God willing by June I'll be applying to departments in the area.
        I don't see what the problem is being part of a program (at 20) meant for people 14-21..especially a vocational program for the career I want. Scouting (and secondarily Exploring/Venturing) has been a part of my life since I was six, and I don't plan on not stopping, either as a youth or as an adult (I'm an Assistant Scoutmaster).

That Guy: I don't see what my career has anything to do with whetheror not I want to gain any experience through what ever program.
        *NOT a LEO*

Learning is not compulsory. . . neither is survival.
        -Deming

my livejournal

Comment

How can he be still holding on to the explorer program if he's not even into it yet. At my department, they usually let explorers stay until the following January after their 21st birthday, b/c that's when they renwed their charter with BSA.

Depending on the program, you can still get a LOT out of it at 21. We used to have a 21yro explorer that was in the reserve academy at one point.

Some programs I've visited are really for little kids running around doing a lot of nothing at the PD, but many program are HEAVY on the ride-alongs, training at the meetings, and competitions. And riding out with cops for hundreds of hours gives you invaluable knowledge about what your life might be if you choose the career, see how dozens of officers do their job differently, learn from their mistakes, get life advice & mentorship from them.

Comment

As a former explorer, former explorer advisor and a career police officer, it my qualified opinion that the explorer program is not for him. He needs to look into an adult oriented type of law enforcement service. The program is designed to familiarize teenagers with police work. If he is not ready to apply to a PD he may looking into a reserve program or something like that.

A PD disregards the intended purpose of the program, if they use explorers in place of actual employees.

Comment

Sorry if you don't like my post. If you are 21 which is the age to get hired on maybe you should. You didn't mention that you were still in college. I agree with Tennsix and get on with a reserve program and don't bother with trying to get in an EXP program.
              Yes EXPs can't hurt but at the adult age I think its time to "cowboy up" and do the work for real.

TGY
              Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

I still say it depends on the type of explorer program the PD has. My advisor with 30+ years on, sergeant, and LONG-time head advisor still brought on a 20yro.

If you become a reserve you go to the academy and actually get hired, you have a committment. The explorer program can tell you if reserves is something you might like to do. At the PD you can't see much of an age difference b/t 18yros and 21yros. They're both in college, both living at home, both inexperienced in the world, both financially dependent, and both not yet real adults. Just my opinon, though. The program's advisor where you applied can probably make the best call, though.

Comment

How long did the 20 year old stay in the unit?

21 is too old; he should be potty trained and drinking from a big-boy cup by then.
                  Last edited by Tennsix; 08-18-2005, 04:28 PM.

Comment

I'm not up on Il but in CA many of our departments have a cadet position and also have a public safety officer position. You could check to see if the departments you are interested in have anything similar.
                    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                      How long did the 20 year old stay in the unit?

21 is too old; he should be potty trained and drinking from a big-boy cup by then.
                      For a year or so (The progrom is for 14-21). She gained some contacts, got a lot of career advice from cops, did a lot of ride-alongs to see what police work was like, probably a reference or two, then when the time came she went off to do her thing as better informed person.

Comment

good deal

Comment

move on and consider joining an auxiliary force.
                          Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by letshearit4blue
                            move on and consider joining an auxiliary force.
                            ditto, the explorer post is for young males and females, not adults. You COULD be an advisor when you join the PD if you really want to stay with the post.
                            U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
                            Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

Become a civilian advisor. Talk to your current advisor about this. Tell him that you love the program and want to help out as much as you can. I do not see a problem with this.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5415 users online. 300 members and 5115 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X