300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Mateo County Explorers

Anyone had any experience with this explorer post? I am 17 and am thinking about enrolling. I have done some poking around the forums trying to find some more information, but a couple quick questions - (Let me guess - varies by dept? lol)

Explorer Academy? Approximately how long is it, and what kind of material is covered?

Ride alongs? Do you pick an officer from the overall pool of officers in the department (I ask because I have a relationship with several officers already) or are you assigned to ride with your advisor?

What do explorers do that "erk" you? Other than carrying everything under the sun on their belt/acting like sworn personnel?

What can I do to NOT do these things? (i.e. - what do explorers do that you like?)

What kind of time commitment is expected? I am doing it because I am interested, naturally, and want to spend time there (or out riding) as much as possible, but I also need to balance a job and college. How do you foresee this playing out?
    REINSTATE THE TRIG
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    Your logic defies logic
    Originally posted by Rudy8116
    Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
    Originally posted by Michigan
    Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
    Originally posted by TheTick
    A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
    This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
    Originally posted by 02paul09
    Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

It's an excellent post. The academy is just a series of weekends. You will find out about how often you can ride. Go to a meeting and see. You NEED to slow down a bit. You are getting ahead of yourself. You WONT be riding every night or week.
    810 is LE
    830 is SAR, and well recognized at that skill!
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      It's an excellent post. The academy is just a series of weekends. You will find out about how often you can ride. Go to a meeting and see. You NEED to slow down a bit. You are getting ahead of yourself. You WONT be riding every night or week.
      810 is LE
      830 is SAR, and well recognized at that skill!
      Got it.

I think attending a meeting (for 810, if it makes a difference?) is a good idea - who should I contact about the information I need? Does the "Community Policing Unit" sound right?
      Last edited by indy_dibona; 12-01-2014, 12:11 AM.
      REINSTATE THE TRIG
      Your logic defies logic
      Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
      This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.

Comment

810 is LE. You contact whoever it says to contact. They will answer your questions. It's on the website.

Comment

Hey Indy,

A lot of what you asked, as you mentioned, is specific to San Mateo County Sheriff. It looks like you're getting some agency-specific information and that's great. That said, I'll try to touch on the main points of your post.

Originally posted by BiteThePullet View Post
          Explorer Academy? Approximately how long is it, and what kind of material is covered?
          Generally, things are run weekends or during summer breaks. The material covered will be, again, specific to the agency. It will be basic law enforcement subjects.

Ride alongs? Do you pick an officer from the overall pool of officers in the department (I ask because I have a relationship with several officers already) or are you assigned to ride with your advisor?
          Ride-a-longs are almost always assigned. The needs of the shift will come before the needs of you wanting to hang out with your "partner."

What do explorers do that "erk" you? Other than carrying everything under the sun on their belt/acting like sworn personnel?

What can I do to NOT do these things? (i.e. - what do explorers do that you like?)
          Actually, the duty belt thing isn't a problem for me, as long as it's in a training environment. The core issues deal with maturity, integrity and work ethic. There are others...

Just keep your foot on the brake, instead of the gas. Try to soak up information like a sponge and you'll be fine.

What kind of time commitment is expected? I am doing it because I am interested, naturally, and want to spend time there (or out riding) as much as possible, but I also need to balance a job and college. How do you foresee this playing out?
          Again, it varies, but you should expect to be make multiple meetings a month, as well as other training and community service sessions as assigned. It's not a free ride; you need to put in the time.

Good luck,
          SSNS
          Last edited by JDFranke; 10-19-2016, 04:10 PM.
          Super Secret Ninja Squirrel
          "SSNS"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSecretNinjaSquirrel View Post
            Hey BiteThePullet,

A lot of what you asked, as you mentioned, is specific to San Mateo County Sheriff. It looks like you're getting some agency-specific information and that's great. That said, I'll try to touch on the main points of your post.

Generally, things are run weekends or during summer breaks. The material covered will be, again, specific to the agency. It will be basic law enforcement subjects.

Ride-a-longs are almost always assigned. The needs of the shift will come before the needs of you wanting to hang out with your "partner."

Actually, the duty belt thing isn't a problem for me, as long as it's in a training environment. The core issues deal with maturity, integrity and work ethic. There are others...

Just keep your foot on the brake, instead of the gas. Try to soak up information like a sponge and you'll be fine.

Again, it varies, but you should expect to be make multiple meetings a month, as well as other training and community service sessions as assigned. It's not a free ride; you need to put in the time.

Good luck,
            SSNS
            Thanks SSNS!

I called and spoke to the deputy, and determined that - as my situation doesn't fit any specific mold - I will work as a volunteer for the Dept., rather than as an Explorer. Something about the program seemed a bit "summer camp-y" to me, and I think as a volunteer I would be able to actually help (in some small way), the dept.

Submitted my application, just need to schedule the interview!
            Last edited by JDFranke; 10-19-2016, 04:09 PM.
            REINSTATE THE TRIG
            Your logic defies logic

Comment

Thanks SSNS!

I called and spoke to the deputy, and determined that - as my situation doesn't fit any specific mold - I will work as a volunteer for the Dept., rather than as an Explorer. Something about the program seemed a bit "summer camp-y" to me, and I think as a volunteer I would be able to actually help (in some small way), the dept.

Submitted my application, just need to schedule the interview!
              You're welcome.

Did the deputy actually suggest you apply for a volunteer position or did you come to that conclusion on your own? I find it quite strange a deputy would be behind this. Out this way, just to the right of the middle of nowhere, you wouldn't even be able to put in an application for volunteering. There are age minimums that you don't meet yet. I mean, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with volunteer service and volunteers are an invaluable service, similar to explorers, to a law enforcement agency when it's in need of additional manpower. However, for your age and what you're interested in, an exploring program would be far, far more appropriate.

I suggest you reconsider exploring.
              Last edited by JDFranke; 10-19-2016, 04:09 PM.
              "SSNS"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

It's not summer camp. Its a structured program. You failed to figure out what you need to do. you are too young to do anything LE related outside of that. There is a reason you have to go to training.

Go to a post meeting.

You are trying to jump into getting to ride along and play cop whenever you want and think it's gong to work. It's not.

Comment

It's not summer camp. Its a structured program. You failed to figure out what you need to do. you are too young to do anything LE related outside of that. There is a reason you have to go to training.

Go to a post meeting.

You are trying to jump into getting to ride along and play cop whenever you want and think it's gong to work. It's not.
                  +1

The younger ones who do end up making it on board are extremely out of place and almost always don't last long. Again, Indy, exploring would be most appropriate for you.
                  Last edited by SuperSecretNinjaSquirrel; 12-08-2014, 07:13 PM. Reason: Adding!
                  "SSNS"

Comment

Go to a post meeting.

No sir, it is not summer camp. I was not clear in articulating my opinion, and apologize for the miscommunication.

I do want to jump into a ride along - they are fun, and educational. I do not want to play cop. I would rather not end up with a pile of "impersonating a peace officer" charges, or worse, full of holes I wasn't born with.

You're welcome.

Did the deputy actually suggest you apply for a volunteer position or did you come to that conclusion on your own? I find it quite strange a deputy would be behind this. Out this way, just to the right of the middle of nowhere, you wouldn't even be able to put in an application for volunteering. There are age minimums that you don't meet yet. I mean, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with volunteer service and volunteers are an invaluable service, similar to explorers, to a law enforcement agency when it's in need of additional manpower. However, for your age and what you're interested in, an exploring program would be far, far more appropriate.

I suggest you reconsider exploring.
                    Thank you for your suggestion - I will certainly go to a post meeting and see whats up. To address your question - I am working with a college counselor for my applications. In addition, she is helping me with a resume and job hunting - knowing my interest in LE, she used her own contacts in the field (an ex-SWAT/now-detective brother and cousin) to poke around. Here is an except from an email she sent me ([text] added by me for clarification)-

"There are a couple of programs you could fall into but you specifically do not fit the mold (yeah that's a surprise)....
                    There is an application process you will need to go through and an interview [for volunteering].
                    However, I think once they meet you, they will be very happy you sought them out.
                    I asked her to call me so as I could feel her our for buzz words and other keys that would help us to make an exceptional application.

Feel free to call her directly and leave a message.
                    1) Say your full name, spell it out
                    2) Tell her your counselor called ahead, your age, that you have your drivers license, that you have already graduated HS and are a semester away from your AA.
                    3) Tell her your plans to pursue a BA in Criminology in Fall 2015
                    4) Your reasons for volunteering are to become familiar with the different roles within the Police force and to better know your own community."

+1

The younger ones who do end up making it on board are extremely out of place and almost always don't last long. Again, Indy, exploring would be most appropriate for you.
                    I agree - I think I will be out of place. I was told to expect hazing, and more than usual due to my age. I have had to deal with this kind of situation for most of my life past the age of reason, as I have been out of my age group for the majority of it. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I will pack up and move on. I will not, however, shy away from something I want to do simply becuase I am afraid of being the odd one out (yes, this is the lack of age/experience and excess of stubbornness showing).

Simply, I want to try. If I crash and burn, or if I can't get through the acceptance process, it is my own fault, and something that I will owe up to. Given your advise, and the advice of CCCSD, I will continue to look into exploring.
                    REINSTATE THE TRIG
                    Your logic defies logic

Comment

She is WRONG. She does not know a thing about Exploring if that was her response. Tell her a Real Police said that...
                      Don't do a thing until you go to a post meeting. I would hope that you are speaking of a real college, not a private for profit one.

How are you 17 and almost done with your AA? If you really aren't, then you have just been told to lie. If you are, then you are STILL too young/mature for that type of contact/work. A clue is your fascination with ride alongs. There is much more to the world than that. You need to be with your own age group, and kids with similar interests. I've known explorers to stay in the program until they are 21 and graduated.
                      Last edited by CCCSD; 12-10-2014, 11:39 AM.

Comment

She is WRONG. She does not know a thing about Exploring if that was her response. Tell her a Real Police said that...
                        Bahahaha! That gave me a laugh, thank you.

BiteThePullet,

You need to do your own work and research. Don't listen to a college counselor's incorrect information and opinions. You are, in fact, getting incorrect information. She is a college counselor and has nothing to do with law enforcement.

You're about to be an adult in the eyes of the law (eighteen) and, thus, you are a young man. You're not a boy anymore. You need to pick up a phone, on your own, and get in contact with one of the San Mateo County deputies. It should be a deputy that works directly with the program. Then you need to commit to being at their next meeting.

Did your counselor tell you that you would be hazed if you were to be accepted into a volunteering program? Good Lord... Also, I suppose I need to be a little more clear. Agencies want and are in need of help from volunteers, but not from a kid that someone has to babysit all shift.

Good luck,
                        SSNS
                        Last edited by JDFranke; 10-19-2016, 04:12 PM.
                        "SSNS"

Comment

Don't do a thing until you go to a post meeting. I would hope that you are speaking of a real college, not a private for profit one.

How are you 17 and almost done with your AA? If you really aren't, then you have just been told to lie. If you are, then you are STILL too young/mature for that type of contact/work. A clue is your fascination with ride alongs. There is much more to the world than that. You need to be with your own age group, and kids with similar interests. I've known explorers to stay in the program until they are 21 and graduated.
                          I will go to the post meeting first.

I am talking about a real college - however, a community college (accredited by the WASC & U.S. Dpt. of Edu). I am half done with an AA for Transfer in Sociology, to feed into a CJ degree. I graduated HS a year early, while finishing my last year with credit from the same community college. I would never lie for my own advancement, regardless of who is telling me to do it.

My fascination for riding is, I will admit, a sign of immaturity. As for the age in explorer programs, I remember reading a few threads about explorers that aged out of the program, with the general consensus being that it is for younger kids, and by the time you aged out, you should've left for a different role in the LE community anyways.

Thoughts?
                          REINSTATE THE TRIG
                          Your logic defies logic

Comment

The programs here have always worked best when the majority of the kids were in the 18-21 age range, but it fluctuates.
                            "SSNS"

Comment

Bahahaha! That gave me a laugh, thank you.

BiteThePullet,

You need to do your own work and research. Don't listen to a college counselor's incorrect information and opinions. You are, in fact, getting incorrect information. She is a college counselor and has nothing to do with law enforcement.

You're about to be an adult in the eyes of the law (eighteen) and, thus, you are a young man. You're not a boy anymore. You need to pick up a phone, on your own, and get in contact with one of the San Mateo County deputies. It should be a deputy that works directly with the program. Then you need to commit to being at their next meeting.

Did your counselor tell you that you would be hazed if you were to be accepted into a volunteering program? Good Lord... Also, I suppose I need to be a little more clear. Agencies want and are in need of help from volunteers, but not from a kid that someone has to babysit all shift.

Good luck,
                              SSNS
                              Yeah, that was funny - I will call and ask, AFTER I go to a post meeting as suggested.

Her title is "college counselor", however she does much more than that - like I mentioned, job, resume, "life planning". I am surprised that she would mislead me, especially considering how much she is being paid by my parents (their idea, not mine, but I have to play the "good kid" if I want car payments to continue lol).

And no, she relayed what her brother, an LE, told her, in regards to the hazing. But it seems logical to me - this community is not all that open (for a very valid reason), so I can see how outsiders, especially ones without a badge, are seen.

I think I got everything I need from this thread - I know they don't lock here, but I don't see a need to comment

Last edited by JDFranke; 10-19-2016, 04:11 PM.
                              REINSTATE THE TRIG
                              Your logic defies logic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3261 users online. 163 members and 3098 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X