Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What NOT to do as a law enforcement explorer!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What NOT to do as a law enforcement explorer!

It's time again, gents.

What are some things, minor or major, that a law enforcement explorer should not do?

I will start: You should not flash your explorer tin on a traffic stop.
    Super Secret Ninja Squirrel
    "SSNS"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Originally posted by SuperSecretNinjaSquirrel View Post
    It's time again, gents.

What are some things, minor or major, that a law enforcement explorer should not do?

I will start: You should not flash your explorer tin on a traffic stop.
    Are you looking for anecdotes?

While I am sure this thread will garner some attention, I believe 99% of what you will see is pure common sense when it comes to what one should NOT do as an explorer, or LEO for that matter.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Use your "badge" to get a free drink at QT and ruin it for the whole post...

Comment

It's just for funsies, Sgt. Jon.
        "SSNS"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Carry handcuffs with you AND handcuff people at the mall while yelling "Police!"...happened around here....
          Originally posted by RSGSRT
          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

As a former explorer and current LEO I issue this advice. DONT DO ANYTHING that so much as implies you are ever associated with the Explorers when you are in public. I can't believe you have "tin", but you should not even be carrying it let alone showing it on traffic stops. When I was an explorer I was extra careful driving because I knew it would get back to my post advisor. When you are carrying a badge, or wearing a t-shirt or hat, you are making yourself a target for which you have little or no skill, equipment or department backing to prevent or avoid. The only time you should be explorerering (I am well aware that's not a word) is during officially sanctioned department events. Sadly, I know more former explorers that got themselves in trouble as a result of being an explorer rather than taking advantage of the program and becoming a LEO.

USE YOUR HEAD.
            Last edited by djs105; 04-15-2014, 07:00 AM. Reason: Typo
            “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
            ― Edmund Burke

Comment

Jesus christ. This is exactly what gives "explorers" a bad name. I too, was an explorer and even then I was always appauled of the stupidity and wannabe drive from the majority of explorers that surrounded me.

If you're (any explorer) doing anything beyond what any 16 year old can do then you have crossed the line. The fact that you think there's some list of things that "can't be done" just because you're an explorer tells me you think you hold some position of authority and prestige. You don't. You're a boyscout, that is it. The explorer program should be used to understand LE and if you're smart, to get a few police references that can vouch for you when you grow up and can start applying to police departments.

True story: Out of a dozen or so explorers, I was the only one that went on to be a cop. Not a single wannabe, hopefull power hungry explorer went on to be a cop.

My advice to you is use your head. Use common sense. Do well in school. Get as much education as you can. If you really do want to be cop, stop thinking like a "wannabe" and start thinking like a "I'm gunna be".

Before you reply with some stupid post... don't. Just take my advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                Jesus christ. This is exactly what gives "explorers" a bad name. I too, was an explorer and even then I was always appauled of the stupidity and wannabe drive from the majority of explorers that surrounded me.

If you're (any explorer) doing anything beyond what any 16 year old can do then you have crossed the line. The fact that you think there's some list of things that "can't be done" just because you're an explorer tells me you think you hold some position of authority and prestige. You don't. You're a boyscout, that is it. The explorer program should be used to understand LE and if you're smart, to get a few police references that can vouch for you when you grow up and can start applying to police departments.

True story: Out of a dozen or so explorers, I was the only one that went on to be a cop. Not a single wannabe, hopefull power hungry explorer went on to be a cop.

My advice to you is use your head. Use common sense. Do well in school. Get as much education as you can. If you really do want to be cop, stop thinking like a "wannabe" and start thinking like a "I'm gunna be".

Before you reply with some stupid post... don't. Just take my advice.
                Sorry but is this a generalization or directed at me? I'm not an explorer...

I agree with the majority of your posting but I also think your experiences have clouded you to some of the success stories and opportunities that have been afforded to law enforcement explorers to better themselves for what sometimes turns into a beautiful future career (be it either in law enforcement or otherwise).

I think the obvious bottom line is that common sense is your friend, which I believe the majority of us know, but the purpose I had in mind when I started this thread was to get some of the horror stories out there for pure entertainment purposes.

Horror stories: Go!
                Last edited by SuperSecretNinjaSquirrel; 04-15-2014, 11:03 PM. Reason: Wording
                "SSNS"

Comment

Horror stories? Several Explorers I know now have criminal records because they thought there were the police (think badge, fake gun in holster, etc.)

Several more were kicked out for lesser things that involved being jackholes and if they every did apply to be the police and put down the post as experance, most likey would not get the job.
                  “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
                  ― Edmund Burke

Comment

You want a horror story?

Once upon a time, there was a cop who was like the big cheese and stuff. He saw a trend of yutes bucking the system and growing up to hate the po-po, so he thought "hey - if we can get them in early and get them to like us, then when they grow up, they won't hate us! Also, it will give the kids something to do and keep them out of trouble!" Little did he realize they were learning police tactics to use against them. When it came time to name his new elite group of boyscout super soldiers, he was dumbfounded. Or at least dumb. At any rate, he said "they explore this side of law enforcement, so lets call them EXPLORERS!" And the horror began.

The End.

Comment

oops... slow internet double tap.
                      Last edited by Shush; 04-29-2014, 03:13 PM. Reason: double tap

Comment

Originally posted by djs105 View Post
                        Horror stories? Several Explorers I know now have criminal records because they thought there were the police (think badge, fake gun in holster, etc.)

Several more were kicked out for lesser things that involved being jackholes and if they every did apply to be the police and put down the post as experance, most likey would not get the job.
                        That crap will get you killed in certain areas......LA for one....
                        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Implying your are a cop seems to be a trend. NEVER IMPLY YOUR ARE A SWORN LEO. Not only can and probably will get you kicked, it has a pretty decent chance of going on a criminal record unless the advisor is willing to do anything about it.

Comment

Then WHY are YOU buying used Police vehicles?
                            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

This:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...620-story.html

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4946 users online. 261 members and 4685 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X