300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruiting

Last edited by PirateScoobs; 08-22-2015, 06:06 PM.

Ill join ur post...

Comment

Last edited by PirateScoobs; 08-22-2015, 06:07 PM.

Comment

We have what we call "first nighters" basically a night where we show what the post is all about and maybe show off a building search or felony stop. Ahead of time we go to mostly high schools and tell them when the first nighter is and how its an interesting group for Law Enforcement types.
        Cant wait to get out there!!!

Richard Francis 1948 - 2008
        Killed in the line of duty.

Comment

From my experience as an Explorer many years ago, we had the same problems. Our roster would fluctuate and there was really only a handful of truly, active members during my 6 1/2 year tenure. It's very hard to recruit because there are so few people interested in such things in that age group. Most kids prefer to party, smoke dope and get in trouble than better themselves. Most of the members in my post were children of cops really. A few of us (including me) were not and had a strong desire to do the job.

I went to a school about probably 1200 or more (I had almost 400 in my class alone) and I think there were only 3 or 4 of us total from my school at most. We had two high schools in my city, so there were a few from the larger school, but even so, it's hard to get people. You probably won't have much success with either of your recruiting methods and 3,000 brochures will end up in the trash can unfortunately.

I don't know what a good recruiting promo is really. We used to do "drug safety programs" at stores where we would bring out 2 or 3 tables full of drugs, paraphernalia and the best part, about a 75 lb glass jar full of seized pills that we handcuffed an Explorer to just to get peoples' attention. We had a lot of interest in who we were and what we did, but I don't know how many actually joined as a result of meeting us at Wal-Mart, etc.

Comment

Honestly I think recruiting comes and goes in waves. When I was a cadet and just starting out I joined with about 40 others. However the last two years there were only about 20 new cadets that made it through their academy and stuck with the program. This year their numbers are up again. I suggest you think back to when you joined and try to go about a similar method of recruiting.

Comment

We pretty much do First Nighters and have SWAT or K9 come out as part of the first night and explain everything that we do and what all is involved. WE SEND OUT PRESS RELEASES to the newspapers about our first night for any youth interested in joining to attend and what we are about, this usually gets us alot of people

Comment

Do you have an annual scout show within your council? If so, you could recruit from the pool of scouts that attend the show. You could even end up attracting explorers that are currently members of other posts that are not law enforcement explorers.
                Obedience to Law is Liberty.

Comment

We used to host "Recruiting Nights" with donuts, pizza, soda. As folks would come in we would hand out flyers and such, and some members actively walked around the plaza (our post was in a substation in a shopping plaza) and talked to folks and handed out brochures.
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                  that we are all that stands between
                  the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6341 users online. 378 members and 5963 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X