Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C0d3 thr33
    replied
    I was an Explorer for close to five years and made rank during my tenure. I saw a lot of Explorers join and leave the program as they either realized their dream of law enforcement or decided to pursue other avenues of interest.

The Explorers who were successful with the program generally shared a common demeanor; one of humility, selflessness, a gratitude to the community, and a willingness to serve. Explorers are not law enforcement officers by any stretch of the imagination, and as a former Explorer I will be the first to recognize the benefits and limitations of the program.

The program is designed to provide teenagers with a general view of law enforcement that isn't afforded to the general public. Yes, Explorers are nothing more than the average citizen, but they've been exposed to more aspects of police work than the average person.

Part of the adolescent stage is trying to identify with something. Depending on an individual's social network, the Explorer program can be an incredible ego boost, especially if one has a perceived sense of "rank" over peers. I know it went straight to my head when I was 14 and had "rank" over 18 year-olds, but I didn't abuse my perceived "authority" to dictate worthless orders to anyone. I enjoyed being in the mix of things and getting my hands dirty, but I also had the ability to delegate (key word!) responsibilities when I was assigned the task.

I never thought I was a cop. I practically worshiped the ground walked on by officers, but I respected them for their accomplishments and abilities and didn't try to squeeze into a role to which I was not entitled.

Maturity is the deciding factor in a person's success in the Explorer program. Most Explorers understand that it's supposed to be a FUN, relatively safe learning environment while others see it as a chance to ride in a patrol car and look cool.

--

For the people on here, remember that your actions as an Explorer will be remembered by your Post Advisors and other department personnel when you turn twenty-one and apply for a sworn position.

Leave a comment:

• KCSOExplorer
    replied
    I feel a need to chime in on this subject.

I have been an explorer since August 2007, and in that time, I've learned a couple things along the way.

First, and foremost, a good leader is never above his men and women. I have never, and will never, ask any explorer below, equal, or above me, to do something that I would not do myself, or have not done myself.

For example, I would not ask any explorer to shine his or her boots every night, as I have not done that myself, nor would I do it. However, I wouldn't feel wrong in asking an explorer to study his or her materials for an hour every month, as I have done that myself, and do study my materials for an hour each month.

I also keep in mind, that I am an explorer. I am nothing more. Rank, ideally, is more so gaining responsibility, than any sort of "power". Albeit, there is some command, but it's a lot more responsibility than it is "power".

I think ranks are a great thing, don't get me wrong; but when used inappropriately, ranks can be downright ugly.

Leave a comment:

• gonzoak
    replied
    Originally posted by H.P.D.700X View Post
    ok so ive been quite as long as i could on this but this all started as a lets flop them out on the table and see whos is bigger. (bragging)

now mpdexplorer,

how long have you been a commander or whatever the h*ll yall call it?
    you need to get the sh*t kicked out of you b/c well.... your an idiot and what gives explorers a bad name. has your post or team won a national competition since you have had a rank. get off your ***** and actually do something. all you have done is brag and its bull. you are an explorer just like the other kids below you. and they may act like they like you but they prolly do not if i was one of your corprals or sgts i would tell you to go fu(k yourself.
    and where is your advisors your a child and should not be handling post money end of story. you have an ego problem and that is what would get you killed on the streets. you have a lot of growing up to do before you should even think about being in law enforcement.

all you are is an officers b*tch
    MPDEXPLORER you going to take that???

Leave a comment:

• FD/PDEXPlR
    replied
    What about the other explorer thats a bragger wantsabadge? You cant just pick out one.

Leave a comment:

• H.P.D.700X
    replied
    ok so ive been quite as long as i could on this but this all started as a lets flop them out on the table and see whos is bigger. (bragging)

now mpdexplorer,

how long have you been a commander or whatever the h*ll yall call it?
    you need to get the sh*t kicked out of you b/c well.... your an idiot and what gives explorers a bad name. has your post or team won a national competition since you have had a rank. get off your ***** and actually do something. all you have done is brag and its bull. you are an explorer just like the other kids below you. and they may act like they like you but they prolly do not if i was one of your corprals or sgts i would tell you to go fu(k yourself.
    and where is your advisors your a child and should not be handling post money end of story. you have an ego problem and that is what would get you killed on the streets. you have a lot of growing up to do before you should even think about being in law enforcement.

all you are is an officers b*tch

Leave a comment:

• mpdexplorer
    replied
    Originally posted by SSD View Post
    Most of us? If you noticed, most of the posts here by Explorers have disagreed with what he was saying, and supported your statements. It's like an average citizen watching an episode of cops, then generalizing that all cops do is beat the **** out of people and don't help anyone.

Thanks for the insults. They are appreciated.

/thread

Happened long ago kid.

Leave a comment:

• SSD
    replied
    Originally posted by District B 13 View Post
    Jessyca,

I am well aware of what Exploring is about. I have many years in it, both as an Explorer, Cadet, LEO and Post Advisor.

You are all children who are allowed to wear a uniform that makes you think you are cops. You get to play along with LEO's who work day in and out. You get to run around in your little party outfits and tell people where to park cars and drive.

Get over yourselves. The OP started to pontificate about his status as a leader and how great he is. He was taken to task on it and shown ways to improve his outlook and "leadership" skills. He and most of you who drink the Kool Aid have decided that we, the adults who actually do this for a living, don't know what we are talking about. Well, we do. That's why we are LEO's and not little kids running around with blue guns in our holsters and telling stories about handcuffing suspects and bailing cops out at every turn.

Exploring is a program to LEARN about LE, not a program to satisfy someones desire to play Commander. Those titles mean nothing, don't try and make them out to be something they are not.
    Most of us? If you noticed, most of the posts here by Explorers have disagreed with what he was saying, and supported your statements. It's like an average citizen watching an episode of cops, then generalizing that all cops do is beat the **** out of people and don't help anyone.

Thanks for the insults. They are appreciated.

/thread

Leave a comment:

• District B 13
    replied
    Jessyca,

I am well aware of what Exploring is about. I have many years in it, both as an Explorer, Cadet, LEO and Post Advisor.

You are all children who are allowed to wear a uniform that makes you think you are cops. You get to play along with LEO's who work day in and out. You get to run around in your little party outfits and tell people where to park cars and drive.

Get over yourselves. The OP started to pontificate about his status as a leader and how great he is. He was taken to task on it and shown ways to improve his outlook and "leadership" skills. He and most of you who drink the Kool Aid have decided that we, the adults who actually do this for a living, don't know what we are talking about. Well, we do. That's why we are LEO's and not little kids running around with blue guns in our holsters and telling stories about handcuffing suspects and bailing cops out at every turn.

Exploring is a program to LEARN about LE, not a program to satisfy someones desire to play Commander. Those titles mean nothing, don't try and make them out to be something they are not.

Leave a comment:

• mpdexplorer
    replied
    This is a great program all in all!! end of it all if you all are fine with that

Leave a comment:

• careerchange#2
    replied
    Wantsabadge:

Just a word of advice for the rest of your career: "Ef' em'."

Those of us that have done the deed, seen the elephant, been there done that or whatever don't need to brag, don't need to thump our chests, or do any self promotion. When others get diarrhea of the mouth about their accomplishments, those that have simply listen and smile while sipping their drink.

Oh and change your screenname. Those of us who have been there and done that don't care about a badge or pin or medal.

Leave a comment:

• wantsabadge
    replied
    You also shouldn't know that what ****es off an Officer which you refer to a 'COP' is a cocky explorer since you aren't one and you still want a badge.

OK, you just pushed my A- Hole button,
    Just who do you think you are telling me what I do and don’t know? I have no problem admitting that I’m not a "officer" I am well aware of that believe me, how do i know what P***es off a officer that is a simple answer, ...My WHOLE family is in Law enforcement, dad, all my uncles and aunts cousins and those who don’t work for a LE agency work with DOC or in a court house, ive been around officers my whole life, not just officers but FBI agents and US Marshals too. I’m not saying i know everything cuz i know i dont, but i know a good deal, i dont go around flashing it around quoting ARS codes and Case Law because that is not how you get respect from officers, and yes respect is a big thing, dont mock me on that its obvious that because you go blah blah you dont get any respect and dont know the advantages of having it.
    you can go and tell me what i know and dont know when you have done half of what i do i hate to go and tell what i have done because i dont want to brag and crap thats why if you look at what ive posted you can tell i keep it vague but just so you know who you are talking to and what ive done so you realize that im not some half beat explorer capt that reads quotes and that I do know what im talking about
    ..., once you have gone and,(im using this word for lack of a better one but i dont agree with it, ) "saved" a 11month old that was choking on a toy, then you can tell me what i know, when you go and hold pressure on a sucking chest wound on a teen that got shot and see the fear in the eyes, then you can tell me what i know, when you go and find a young kid dead in their house from a OD, and you being a EMT know that they are dead but yet somehow you have to keep telling the crying parents that its ok and hes going to be fine hes going to make it when you can do that, then you can tell me what i know, when you have gone to a fire scene and run line off a truck and lay it and tag a plug, and pump the truck while the crew of 5 is busy, two going interior and 3 on a RIC Team then you can tell me what i know, when you have held C-spine on a elderly man stuck in his car because he was hit by a drunk driver and talk him through everything that’s going on around him and calm him down while the guys extricate him from the car then you can tell me what i know.
    But wait your a PD explorer sorry, lets get PD too cuz i do both....when everytime you go on a ride with an officer and you and the officer are the ONLY form of LE in the area then you can tell me what i know, when you have gone hands on with multiple suspects because the officer was getting beat and you have used your one pair of cuffs as a improvised brass knuckles and all beause the SO is 30 min away and DPS is 15 away, and you are the only “back up” then you can tell me what i do and dont know, when you are on a first name bases with the chief of police the Capt and Lt and all Sgts, and the whole Fire Dept, then you can tell me what i know and dont know, when you have sat out side and guarded a homicide scene with just you and a new explorer and one officer by the DB for 8 hrs waiting for county then you can tell me what i do and dont know,
    and how do i know what ticks an officer off? just sit here and read the threads that come up in this area of the site, por favor leendo aqui,
    im going out on a limb by writing this and im going to cause all kinds of crap to hit the fan by writing what I just wrote , im just waiting for the officers to start tearing me up, but i dont care anymore you do need a reality check and quick cuz, "if you dont realize that you come off cocky" you better realize it quick because you take that to a real dept as a LEO and you will be lucky to get off FTO, let alone deal with the public you are no more important or better than the explorers under you and they can do do everything you do if you teach them

FYI what i mean by "down and dirty" is that you should be able to do everything that your explorers can and even better, i can do anything they can and i can show them how to do it better so that they improve, weather it be simple stop and approach to high risk stops, to donning turnouts and SCBA in 2min flat, to how to hold and control a 1 3/4 line to how to maintain a stable mind on EMS scenes when mutipal people are screaming and crying for help, as you run with you BLS bag and figuring out who has a chance and who’s already lost, when you can do HALF of that then you can tell me what i know and dont know,

I’m done with this thread, stubborn as a mule. Like you said in one ear and out the other.

I hope that you can realize what im saying cuz if you keep talking and acting like a “patrol supervisor” you will be in for a rude awaking, but yea what do I know I still “want a badge” but I also want to earn a badge.

You are not a Police Officer ..
    So you might not want to pursue a career in law enforcement since we will come in contact alot...
    JUST BECAUSE A PERSON ISNT A OFFICER DOESNT MEAN THAT THEY DONT KNOW WHT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT ......

im so done .....

Leave a comment:

• Jessyca
    replied
    Originally posted by Till View Post

The attitude displayed by the OP is why I'm glad I'm no longer associated with the explorer program.
    I'm sorry this person is giving you such a poor impression of, what can be, a great program.

Leave a comment:

• mpdexplorer
    replied
    Originally posted by Till View Post

The attitude displayed by the OP is why I'm glad I'm no longer associated with the explorer program.
    You are not a Police Officer ..
    So you might not want to pursue a career in law enforcement since we will come in contact alot...

Leave a comment:

• mpdexplorer
    replied
    Originally posted by SSD View Post
    The contradiction you made above is why I addressed what I did. You say you understand and I'm sure that you actually do; but when you make statements like the first one it leads others to believe that you do not, infact, know the difference.
    Sorry about that mate.

Leave a comment:

• Till
    replied

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3977 users online. 217 members and 3760 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X