300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer's Diving along Program

SCPSDI has developed a Public Safety Diving Program for Law Enforcement Explorers. This program is designed to train and acquaint the Law Enforcement Explorer to a different aspect of Police Work, Public Safety Diving. The youth would be training, with “Safety First”, in all aspects of Public Safety Diving.

The explorer would be paired with another trained PSD officer or an officer going through the PSD program. The explorer will learn the same skills as the PSD officer but will not be allowed to perform “Actual” recoveries, for safety and legal reasons, they will, however, conduct dives based on actual events/cases and be required to work the case(s) from beginning to end. The minimum age for this program is 12 years old.

We also conduct Public Safety Water Born Course(s) such as, Basic Water Survival, Surface Rescue Swimmer, Flood Response, etc.

The minimum of age is 12 years old with no upper limit. The Explorer is put through the Public Safety Diver Courses starting with PSD Open Water and advances from there. The explorer will experience/learn, in a controlled environment, Line Tending, Body Recovery, Search and Recovery, Underwater Crime Scene Investigation, Evidence Recovery, etc.

For more information, contact us at [email protected] or visit us on the web at www.scpsdi.net

Yeah....I want a 12 year old to be my dive buddy. The high danger factor should be apparent to the agency. I can't believe this is sanctioned by BSA or the powers above.

Then again, nice lawsuit waiting to happen.
    Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

District B 13,
      If you read all the words, as they are there for a reason, and I will make the important words bold for you. The explorer would be paired with another trained PSD officer or an officer going through the PSD program. The explorer will learn the same skills as the PSD officer but will not be allowed to perform “Actual” recoveries, for safety and legal reasons, they will, however, conduct dives based on actual events/cases and be required to work the case(s) from beginning to end. The minimum age for this program is 12 years old.

I will also try to dummy it down a little more, The explorer performs a ride-a-along with an officer. That is the greatest Liability. There is very little safety involved in a ride-a-long, as to the Aforemention program, and if you are and/or have been a real cop, you will know the meaning of "Aforemention", the safe guards are in place not only to protect the student but the officer as well. It is a different approch to a "Mentoring" Program, just as the Explorer Program itself and I hope you know what Mentor means.

If you are familier with the BSA, they have had a Recreational Scuba Program inplace for years, look up Sea Base (Florida).

Just so you know the facts, there are a couple of Recreational Diving Agencies that will certify a child as young as 8 years old to go scuba diving, with no adult supervision.

If any of what I have said is over your head, no pun intended, I will try to put it into Rookie terms for you.

As for having a 12 year old as a dive buddy, I would rather have a 12 year old as my buddy, and I have by the way, than some of the adults I have seen diving. As soon as the adult has hit the water, they begin to panic or look like a beached whale do to "EGO".
      Last edited by scpsdi; 10-14-2009, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Yeah. Just the same as a ride along. Yep. No danger in the water at all.
        I was NAUI certified when I was 11. And I didn't play around pretending I was danger Dan, the police diver. I haven't seen a 12 year old yet that could pull an adult diver out of a dangerous situation.

And yes, I am well aware of those neat little terms you bandy about. They mean absolutely NOTHING in a civil law suit. You should do some research, rook.
        Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Law Enforcement Explorers

District B 13,
          Just so you have all the facts, there again, I will place it in rookie terms you may be able to understand. The words are there for a reason and you should read ALL of them and Actually research what The Explorer Program is all about. I never stated that there was no danger, there is danger in everthing and that is why they are paired up with another trained PSD officer or an officer going through the PSD program. The neat little terms that I "Bandy About" do mean something in a civil law suit and also, I am a Real Retired Law Enforcement Officer who worked the road and not a desk.

As to a 12 year old assisting another diver, I have seen a 12 year old bring a diver up from depth, just as an adult is required to do in their O/W checkouts.

We can have a debate from now until the end of time and I would suspect you have had some bad experiences with scuba or something close to that nature along with a large ego. I also refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

You have your opinion and I have mine, be either of our opinions are right are wrong, we believe what we believe.

I will state what I tell Police, Fire, EMS, etc. when requested by Agencies to go and teach and/or lecture (which I do allot of) "I am presenting you with the information/skills, what you choose to do with it is your business."

Buddha once said "If one's words are no better than silence, then one should keep silent". So take it for what it is worth.

Have A Nice day

Comment

SC,

I apologize for my snotty remarks. You have a good idea and I see what you are trying to do. I do have issues with the age of the kids and the ramifications to you and your agency.

I hope it works out well for you.

And anyone that has less time on than me is a rookie....
            Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

District B 13,
              Everthing we, as LEO's, try to do for the good of a person and/or a goup, is always picked apart. That is why the program is set to pair a student with an officer. I have simply taken a program that I developed many years ago called Students-On-Scuba (SOS) and changed it to meet the needs of various youth groups.

You should know as well as I do that, No good deed ever goes unpunished. We have enough to deal with as it relates to gangs, so why not invite the youth to join the largest and best gang in world.

Stay Safe!

SCPSDI

Comment

DB13, you should also know, most explorer posts don't allow kids until they are of high school age.

Comment

I used to be an Explorer and Cadet.

Good luck SC...
                  Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Wow, I think this is an awesome idea! I'm an avid diver myself.

Comment

Is anyone in this debate even under the age of 18? lol.

Comment

I thought the minimum age to be an explorer was 14 per BSA rules, but I could be wrong about that. I know the Dallas PD posts can't let anyone younger then that participate. Good luck with your program.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4569 users online. 310 members and 4259 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X