300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• safety toe boots

i did a search and could not find the answer to my question. i was just wondering what your views were about safety toe boots directly relating towards law enforcement. how important is it for you to wear safety toe duty boots? is it important at all? is it required? do the duty boots you wear have a safety toe or not? do you like the safety toe or have no preference? thank you.
    This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

I have a pair of 5.11's with their version of a safety toe, they call it a kick toe I believe. Here's a link to the pair I wear with description:
    http://www.511tactical.com/511-xprt-...ack-12203.html
    I love having the safety toe and I love these boots as a whole. I had a few instances before where my toes could have gotten really squished. These boots give me much more peace of mind. But what I REALLY like is if I have to apply a kick to a suspects shin or similiar area, the impact is much greater AND my foot is better protected.
    www.saveavet.org

Comment

The boots that dogcop has the link for look pretty good, and look like they would be within our policy.....

As far as safety toe/steel toe boots go, we are prohibited from wearing them......
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop View Post
        I have a pair of 5.11's with their version of a safety toe, they call it a kick toe I believe. Here's a link to the pair I wear with description:
        http://www.511tactical.com/511-xprt-...ack-12203.html
        I love having the safety toe and I love these boots as a whole. I had a few instances before where my toes could have gotten really squished. These boots give me much more peace of mind. But what I REALLY like is if I have to apply a kick to a suspects shin or similiar area, the impact is much greater AND my foot is better protected.
        ok great thank you i am definitely going to add these to my list of options.

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
          The boots that dogcop has the link for look pretty good, and look like they would be within our policy.....

As far as safety toe/steel toe boots go, we are prohibited from wearing them......
          this may be a stupid question but why are you prohibited from wearing them?

Comment

Originally posted by FireCop86 View Post
            this may be a stupid question but why are you prohibited from wearing them?
            Not sure.....my guess would be that is what drives pretty much every policy in CA....civil liability.......

Picture sitting on the stand in Federal Court, being grilled by the plaintiff's lawyer as to why you choose to wear steel toed boots.......and being painted as a 'jack booted thug' who only wore those boots to inflict more severe injuries on the poor, innocent, misguided plaintiff?
            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

i wear converse safety toe boots...in the event one of my interdictees decides to take off w/ my toes near the wheel it might afford me a bit more protection
              Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

I think Mythbusters did a piece on the bad side of using steel toed boots. It may increase injury if the steel doesn't hold.

It could be useful if one is directing traffic more than often, but through my observations of local law enforcement, it is not necessary to use safety toes or steel toes.

Once, a former explorer was directing traffic and somehow got his foot run over. I think it's a lot of not paying attention, but a safety toe boot could come in handy. Or just dodge the wheels of oncoming cars.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Drummadude12 View Post
                  I think Mythbusters did a piece on the bad side of using steel toed boots. It may increase injury if the steel doesn't hold. It could be useful if one is directing traffic more than often, but through my observations of local law enforcement, it is not necessary to use safety toes or steel toes.

Once, a former explorer was directing traffic and somehow got his foot run over. I think it's a lot of not paying attention, but a safety toe boot could come in handy. Or just dodge the wheels of oncoming cars.
                  Are you talking about the increased risk of getting your toes cut off?.....

Comment

Mythbusters "busted" it, it is not true you will be more injured from a steel toe boot and have your tootsies severed. Duh, if a crushing blow would be enough to damage the steel toe, without it your feet would really be screwed. What is cool about the 5.11's is that it is not steel, but a composite tow, so under a very high load it will shatter anyway.
                    www.saveavet.org

Comment

Well, steel toe boots have one big drawback in my opinion - weight. For running and walking they're not really a good boot.

However, if you wanted to kick the s--t out of somebody then you have at your feet another potential weapon.

I'll never electively wear them.

Comment

My winter boots have a steel toe and they work just fine. I was a little worried they might actually be colder because of the safety toe. They work just fine. They do help keep your foot from getting stomped but that isn't a major concern. if they are that close you have bigger problems.
                        The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

http://www.511tactical.com/511-atac-...oot-12001.html
                          I have these with the composite safety toe.
                          When I was more active with Sheriff Explorers, safety toe all the time. Now I'm in Fire and EMS and I would not buy a pair of boots without safety toe... My firefighting boots are steel toe but when I'm just doing station work its good to have the safety toe in case I drop something (been known to happen), and for EMS its great when you're in tight places (i.e. a car extrication), helps keep your toes from getting pinched or caught, and if your foot gets a stretcher dropped on it/rolled over it, no big deal.
                          Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

hey guys thanks for all the responses, these are the boots i ended up getting. they are great i love them and they are really comfortable http://www.magnumboots.com/tacticalboots/8156.html

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5279 users online. 269 members and 5010 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X