300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duty Gear Question (Belt)

I will be starting the academy toward the end of next month and know that I will be required to purchase my own duty gear. Just looking for some recommendations as far as best belt/gear for the best price. As I will be in the academy shortly, money is a little tight right now, but I would rather spend the extra money for a better product if needed, instead of dealing with a cheap POS. I prefer the look of nylon, plus it seems it would wear and look nicer after several months of shifts. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Check the Trading Post section.

Comment

Are you in a self sponsored academy? I'm going to guess yes.. Since most departments supply you with their gear, it seems like a waste to have to buy your own gear.

You could always buy the cheapest gear possible to get you through the academy. The cheapest is probably uncle mike's nylon (it's cheap in both quality and price, so don't expect much)

If you want to go ahead and buy the best, I recommend Bianchi or Safariland leather products.

That's my 2 cents.

Comment

I second the above, but I gotta say, the cheap Uncle Mike nylon belt seems much more comfortable than the fake leather stuff (especially if you're going to be doing PT in it).

Never used real leather.
        "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

Thanks for the input. Yes it is a self sponsored (open enrollment) academy. Here in OH you cant even test for smaller departments w/o your academy cert. so I have to put my self through it since I want to try and work in a more rural area.

Comment

Originally posted by Gros1120 View Post
            I will be starting the academy toward the end of next month and know that I will be required to purchase my own duty gear. Just looking for some recommendations as far as best belt/gear for the best price. As I will be in the academy shortly, money is a little tight right now, but I would rather spend the extra money for a better product if needed, instead of dealing with a cheap POS. I prefer the look of nylon, plus it seems it would wear and look nicer after several months of shifts. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
            for the best product for the money go with Bianchi acumold it is tough durable looks good and easy to clean and maintain plus they have everything you will need you might check EBAY they usually have a lot on there
            Lawdog TCSO
            In God We Trust all Others we Check NCIC
            well daisy if you do

Comment

Last edited by toasterlocker; 07-05-2013, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Uncle Mikes Mirage Duty Belt is a good way to go. It does not cost much and is some what durable.

Comment

Whatever you do, do NOT just go to one site or one place, and go with one brand etc....

If you are willing to shop around, you can find a well priced duty belt fairly cheap, even if you order one part from here, and one part from there etc...

www.copquest.com
                  www.galls.com
                  Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

Last edited by toasterlocker; 07-05-2013, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toasterlocker View Post
                      I'm going to have to disagree with Linkshifter.

I would get Bianchi Accumold from www.copsplus.com. They generally have all the duty belt stuff you would need in stock, and when they have items in stock, it ships almost immediately.

Also, they have a low price guarantee, so if you find a particular item cheaper at some other online cop shop, just send them the link and they will refund you immediately.

Stay away from anything Uncle Mikes. I know you just want something to get you through academy, but the Bianchi isn't that much more and it will actually last. And if you end up working for a place that wants you to switch to leather, the Bianchi will still be in good enough shape that you can resell it, the Uncle Mike's you will just have to throw in the garbage (unless you WANT to give crappy gear to another cop )

Ebay is always an option, but it usually isn't that much cheaper.
                      Oh come on toastedlocker, that's not even remotely close to how my "name" is spelled

Just trying to point out that you can get all kinds of good stuff duty belt wise that will look great together, and you won't have to tie yourself to one brand.
                      Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

Last edited by toasterlocker; 07-05-2013, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Personally, I would find out what the duty equipment is for the department(s) I wanted to join. Since you're self sponsored, and have to buy it, get the stuff you may ultimately be issued. That way, you have an extra set. It's nice to have a working belt and a dress belt. Don't do what happened to me. I work in a department where we are required to purchase our own gear, and no one ever told us we couldn't have basketweave. I purchased all basketweave, and had to end up selling it. If money is tight, I strongly recommend e-bay. If you have the time, you can definately get a good set of gear at a very reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by blackhorse View Post
                            Personally, I would find out what the duty equipment is for the department(s) I wanted to join. Since you're self sponsored, and have to buy it, get the stuff you may ultimately be issued. That way, you have an extra set. It's nice to have a working belt and a dress belt. Don't do what happened to me. I work in a department where we are required to purchase our own gear, and no one ever told us we couldn't have basketweave. I purchased all basketweave, and had to end up selling it. If money is tight, I strongly recommend e-bay. If you have the time, you can definately get a good set of gear at a very reasonable price.
                            +1 on that. A lot of people here buy nylon to get through POST certification but most deparments require basketweave. If you know what your target department, or most local departments, will want you can save the hassle.
                            "Remember. Do unto them before they do unto you."

Comment

I would say stay away from Bianchi acumold. I have heard of officers loosing their belt in a fight because the buckle came undone and now that agency refuses to buy that belt. I bought one and from time to time the buckle will undo itself. When I looked closely to the buckle I notice that it is weak. I called Bianchi and they sent me out a replacement buckle but In the last two weeks it unbuckled itself again. My belt is about 4 months old and the new buckle is only 2.5 weeks old. I would say unless they replace their buckle system stay away from Bianchi acumold.
                              The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3091 users online. 148 members and 2943 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X