Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see thanks sarge. I'm gonna look for a surefire with a red light now.

Comment

Lots of manufacturers make the red filters to slip over the end of your light. See what they have to offer. Most are around $20 or so.
      NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by madlib View Post
        will 5 lumens protect night vision while using it to read maps or whatever small stuff inside the patrol car.
        Use a low white light to read maps (3 or 5 lumens like in an ARC AAA flashlight).

Red or green light will wash out the colors in your map and you can't tell the roads or lakes from the background.

Black Bear
        builder of the BOREALIS flashlight
        www.BlackBearFlashlights.com
        E- mail [email protected]

Comment

Started new thread

HI all. Please comment on the new thread I started asking for comparisons on the Fenix TK11 and the Eagletac T10C2. Thanks!
          Last edited by sgtbambam; 11-20-2008, 09:17 PM.
          "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"
          “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.”
          “If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow.”
          “A horse is a horse,it ain´t make a difference what color it is.”
          -John Wayne

Comment

Posting a link to the new thread might make that easier....
            NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Trying to get opinions on having the Stinger DS as my larger flashlight?

Currently doing practicals and about to graduate. I have the Surefire G2 on my belt and was looking for a larger flashlight to have for nighttime traffic stops. I was torn between the UltraStinger and the Stinger DS. IThe UltraStinger is about 3 inches longer. I went with the Stinger DS. Its not too bad under my arm, so I guess Ill see how it works out tomorrow. If I dont like Ill prob go with the UltraStinger.

Comment

I got my pelican 8060 today.

I was pleasantly surprised at the weight and feel of it. I was afraid it was going to feel like a plastic toy. Instead, it feels like a real flashlight. You hit someone with this, they're gonna feel it.

The charger is nice. It flashes red while it's charging and goes green when it's charged. A feature my MagLight never had. It took about 4 hours to charge. The info that came with the light also said that you can charge the light whenever you want. Apparently there is no issue of the battery developing a memory.

After it was charged, I turned off the lights in the house and tried it out. The wife commented on how it lit up the whole living room. It was obviously very bright and was uncomfortable to have pointed at you, even if it wasn't pointed at your face. The beam was focused with no dark spots in it. The "spill" of the beam was pretty wide too and covered a decent area. Should light up the interior of a car pretty good. It lights up a room real well.

I would say that if you've been using a MagLight rechargeable (as I have for years) the 8060 would be a good fit. Good size and weight, but a big improvement in brightness and battery life.

I work three 12 hour shifts (all in the dark) starting tomorrow night. I'll update later and let you know how it does on the job.
                Be professional
                Be polite
                Be ready to kill everyone you meet

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Nasty View Post

I work three 12 hour shifts (all in the dark) starting tomorrow night. I'll update later and let you know how it does on the job.
                  Thanks! I'm lookin at possibly getting that light for my primary.
                  -John Wayne

Comment

Eagletac T10C2

I'm getting the Eagletac T10C2 to carry on my belt. Now I think I want a little larger light, one that will tuck under my arm when I'm taking notes on a traffic stop or crime scene. I think that the Eagletac will be too small to do that with. What do you all think about the Pelican 7060 or the Inova T4. They are both great lights for LE use, bright, and are long enough to tuck under the arm when needed. Are there any other suggestions to go along with these two?

Thanks for your input.
                    -John Wayne

Comment

Last edited by toasterlocker; 07-05-2013, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Is it just me, or are LED upgrades really not ideal? I have a SL-20XP that I just put an LED upgrade (TLE-100S) in. The LED is bright, but there just seems to be something about it that doesn't seem as great as the normal bulb. It does not seem the LED throws out a beam that's as focused as the incan bulb.

Is something like this normal when you put an LED in a light that was designed for incans? Do lights that that were designed with an LED in mind do better in this department?

Any recommendations on a light about the same size as an SL-20XP that has good performance with an LED?
                        ... I shall not be afraid of the terror by night or the arrow that flies by day ..."

Comment

• While I'm not the flashlight expert, I do know that a lot of reflectors are designed to throw an incandescent bulb according to the manufacturer's specifications. Drop in LED's will most likely not match the original throw or spill range of the incandescent light. That's why, when you upgrade, your light may not live up to your expectations.
                          NRA Life Member

Comment

Last edited by toasterlocker; 07-05-2013, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by scotty707 View Post
                              Any recommendations on a light about the same size as an SL-20XP that has good performance with an LED?
                              The Pelican 8060. I've been impressed with the tight focus and how far it throws the beam.

Last night I was on a call and a flock of snow geese flew overhead. I don't know how high snow geese normally fly, but I was able to hit them with the beam from my 8060. Not just a general, kind of light them all up beam, but a focused beam that hit three or four of them at a time.

The info that came with the light said it throws a focused beam for 120 yards and a secondary 12 foot wide "pool" of light to illuminate the periphery.

I think the 120 yard beam is a bit understated as well. I was able to put a focused beam on buildings well over 120 yards away. Easily would have lit up a person at that distance as well.

It works well for lighting up rooms and vehicle interiors. I would put it a couple of notches above the rechargeable MagLight as far as that goes. It really excels, and is heads above anything else I've used, in throwing beams for distance.

Charges in 4-5 hours and the charge lasts for 6 continuous hours. Replace the battery with c-cell batteries for 12 hours of continuous run time.

Pelican has a 100% replacement guarantee on everything but the bulb and battery. If the light breaks, they give you a new one.

The only thing I'm having a hard time getting used to is the white light. I've been used to a regular light for so long that the white light seems weird.

If your looking for a full size flashlight, without reservation, I recommend the Pelican 8060.
                              Be professional
                              Be polite
                              Be ready to kill everyone you meet

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck Nasty View Post
                                The Pelican 8060. I've been impressed with the tight focus and how far it throws the beam.

Pelican has a 100% replacement guarantee on everything but the bulb and battery. If the light breaks, they give you a new one.

If your looking for a full size flashlight, without reservation, I recommend the Pelican 8060.
                                My .02 on Pelican…Very dissatisfied with their customer service. I purchased a 7060 2 months ago. It has had a problem with the switch not turning the light on at the most inopportune time and last week it died completely.

I called Pelican about their “lifetime” warranty (especially since it was only 2 months old) and was told send it back, at MY EXPENSE, so they could evaluate the light. If they couldn’t fix it they would replace it and send it back, ALSO AT MY EXPENSE. Been gone over a week with no word of any kind. It’s not a real big deal, I only work AT FRIKEN NIGHT WITH MY $150.00 FLASHLIGHT M.I.A.. Thanks a bunch Pelican, for building a crappy product, sticking me with a $25.00 tab just to get it fixed under a “Lifetime Warranty,” and leaving me with no light for an undetermined amount of time.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4893 users online. 288 members and 4605 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X