300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BeachFive-0 View Post
    So I'm on my fifth night with my new Pelican 8060. Very satisfied customer right here. It has fantastic throw with very little spill. Punches through some of the darker tint up to about 20% on the tint-meter. Has a very long run-time and out-performs any other officer's lights I've seen. Overall a great buy and with the complimentary traffic wand cone it looks like a stubby light-saber..... awesome! "I see your scwartz is as big as mine."
    +1

I've had my 8060 for a few months now. I charged it the first night and haven't charged it since. I've used it on midnights every shift during that time. It lives in my duty bag as my primary light, fits under my arm great on traffic stops, and also fits in a standard D-cell flashlight ring.

(I carry a Fenix TK-11 on my belt light as a backup)
    All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

• Originally posted by SUPERCOP2b View Post
      So, I've been reading all of the threads and everyone has great points. Though I'm not experienced with all of the lights, I do have the pleasure of owning the Pelican 7060 and Streamlight DS LED (w/ c4). Honestly, I don't think Streamlight is getting a fair rap on this thread. Asside from having the NICAD Battery, the Streamlight has been a super trooper for me. It puts out 140 Lumens vs. the Pelican's 130. Honestly, they look to be equally bright. I've owned the Pelican for a couple months now, and it's kinda a no frills light. The Pelicans throw is great and all, but it either on or off. I like the Streamlight because of its variable lighting levels and its strobe mode. It has very good throw as well. I find the Pelican to be kind of bulky. The battery life on both lights is about the same, except the Streamlight last just slightly longer. We'll see if the battery ends up with a memory problem, but it hasn't happened yet after 4 months. I've found it to be a little harder to get accessories for the Pelican. My end result, both lights are very comparable, and I don't think either one will dissapoint. I do like my streamlight better, but at the end of the day, this is just an opinion. If you're looking for a light, go out to a cop shop and see them for yourself.

P.S. I also use a Streamlight Scorpion LED (w/ c4) and it too is a flamethrower.
      The thing is, the only reason I even mention the Pelican 7060 is that some people insist on having lights that can be charged using a dock/without removing the battery. Of those lights, the Pelican 7060 and the Inova T4 are the best options that are widely available for reasonable prices. There are others that are better, but are semi-custom jobs made by individuals or very small companies, which I wouldn't recommend for a duty light.

The fact is many of the smaller lights on the list that use batteries that must be removed are better, but some people just insist on using a charging dock.

As I've said, the Stinger is an adequate light, and if someone already had one I wouldn't tell them to toss it just to get a newer and better light. However, for someone that is already planning on getting a new light, the Stinger is a poor choice for all the reasons I've mentioned earlier in the thread.

Comment

• Any of you guys interested in these mega-sized quad LEDs coming out? Or do you feel they're too big a clumsy? Though I think they're still quite a big smaller than the classic 3D Mag / MagCharger.

Note, the last two are prototypes; actual productions will be full aluminum.

Comment

• Originally posted by toasterlocker View Post
          The thing is, the only reason I even mention the Pelican 7060 is that some people insist on having lights that can be charged using a dock/without removing the battery. Of those lights, the Pelican 7060 and the Inova T4 are the best options that are widely available for reasonable prices. There are others that are better, but are semi-custom jobs made by individuals or very small companies, which I wouldn't recommend for a duty light.

The fact is many of the smaller lights on the list that use batteries that must be removed are better, but some people just insist on using a charging dock.

As I've said, the Stinger is an adequate light, and if someone already had one I wouldn't tell them to toss it just to get a newer and better light. However, for someone that is already planning on getting a new light, the Stinger is a poor choice for all the reasons I've mentioned earlier in the thread.
          I can understand what you're saying. But, from what I've gathered, the NICAD battery seems to be the only decent reason that someone wouldn't buy the streamlight. Other than that, the streamlight is every bit the light that the pelican is. Both lights have their pro's and con's. It's gonna come down to the individual buyer. Both lights are excellent choices. I think the reason pelican is getting a little more hype is because the LAPD suddenly decided they wanted to make it their official light. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that because they do make a good product. However, I think that people are forgetting that streamlight has pretty much dominated the law enforcement market for many many years. It wouldn't be that way if they were putting out an inferior product. I haven't played with the Inova yet, so I don't have any input on it. I would have to disagree on the streamlight being a poor choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by SUPERCOP2b View Post
            I can understand what you're saying. But, from what I've gathered, the NICAD battery seems to be the only decent reason that someone wouldn't buy the streamlight. Other than that, the streamlight is every bit the light that the pelican is. Both lights have their pro's and con's. It's gonna come down to the individual buyer. Both lights are excellent choices. I think the reason pelican is getting a little more hype is because the LAPD suddenly decided they wanted to make it their official light. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that because they do make a good product. However, I think that people are forgetting that streamlight has pretty much dominated the law enforcement market for many many years. It wouldn't be that way if they were putting out an inferior product. I haven't played with the Inova yet, so I don't have any input on it. I would have to disagree on the streamlight being a poor choice.
            Illumination tool preference is like anything else - if whatever you have, or can acquire, suits you (price and ability), then there you go.

As far as the power source, when you have to replace the NiCd stick, I would HIGHLY suggest going to a local battery supplier and getting them to build you a NiMH stick. My Unit has Polystingers in our cars and we have gone that route - cheaper than Streamlight OEM, hold a charge better and longer.

My preference? Oh, I have a few lights in my inventory!
            #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
            Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
            RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
            Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
            "Smile" - no!

Comment

• And the winner is...

Pelican 7060 LED Flashlight, hands down. I use this light on duty & it's the best!!

"...There are the wolves, and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy.
              Then there are sheepdogs, and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf."
              LtCol. Dave Grossman (Ret. US Army Ranger)

----------------------------------------
              RIP PO Brandon Rocke (NBBS/67 PCT/70 PCT) | EOT 04/04/2009
              "...Till We Meet Again"

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyJ View Post
                Any of you guys interested in these mega-sized quad LEDs coming out? Or do you feel they're too big a clumsy? Though I think they're still quite a big smaller than the classic 3D Mag / MagCharger.

Note, the last two are prototypes; actual productions will be full aluminum.
                I was actually about to post something about those lights. They both look great. While I'm generally not a fan of the lower power from AA batteries, the Fenix still looks good for people that want a light than can be powered by more common batteries, and it is a good size for a duty light.

The Eagle-Tac looks great. I'm holding off on getting other lights because I'm waiting for that one!

Comment

• Regarding the size of the Fenix TK40, without having handled one yet, it should not be much larger or heavier than my Kel-Lite 4 D that I had cut down by 120 mm, then fitted it with an 8AA-to-2D adaptor, 8 AA NiMH cells, WA1331 potted bulb, Bright Star Koehler 3 D reflector filed to fit and an acrylic watch crystal lens. Certainly no tactical tail-cap switch, but it has sentimental value - or at least that's my story that I will go with, since I paid more for the machine shop work and lens than I paid for the tool itself originally back in the day!
                  #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                  Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                  RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                  Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                  "Smile" - no!

Comment

• Well, I kinda like the TK-40 myself, due to the good looks (IMHO). With some good ni-mh cells it'll have some pretty good runtime along with an output that older "classic duty lights" couldn't dream of. I already have a soldered up 8AA pack so it'll fit this thing perfectly.

But I guess the new wave of compact and powerful lights have everyone spoiled these days, and Mag size lights are no longer acceptable.

I have to reserve judgment for the Eagletac till I see the final product. The prototype plastic body doesn't look so professional.

Comment

• Double Post
                      Last edited by RoyJ; 02-28-2009, 03:31 AM.

Comment

So without reading all of that, it is a ton of info, but I don't feel like sorting thru it:

Which is the better, brighter light that is rechargeable for LE duty?

I don't want to have to spend money on batteries or constantly replace, even if they last longer.

I was looking at the Inova T4, Pelican 7060, or whatever else meets those criteria.

Also, what about the Surefire Optimus or Invicitus, I read about these, but it seems they aren't out yet. Does anyone know when they'll be released? What their lumen output is? Are they rechargeable? How much they'll be?

I'm looking to buy a new flashlight soon and am interested in getting a good one that will last a long time.

Comment

• Originally posted by HEDP View Post
                          So without reading all of that, it is a ton of info, but I don't feel like sorting thru it:

Which is the better, brighter light that is rechargeable for LE duty?

I don't want to have to spend money on batteries or constantly replace, even if they last longer.

I was looking at the Inova T4, Pelican 7060, or whatever else meets those criteria.

Also, what about the Surefire Optimus or Invicitus, I read about these, but it seems they aren't out yet. Does anyone know when they'll be released? What their lumen output is? Are they rechargeable? How much they'll be?

I'm looking to buy a new flashlight soon and am interested in getting a good one that will last a long time.

Oh c'mon, the first post isn't that long.

T4 and 7060 are fine lights if you must have a light that recharges without removing the battery. Most of the other lights mentioned on post 1 are more powerful though.

Optimus and Invicitus are vaporware, don't hold your breath.

Comment

Oh c'mon, the first post isn't that long.

T4 and 7060 are fine lights if you must have a light that recharges without removing the battery. Most of the other lights mentioned on post 1 are more powerful though.

Optimus and Invicitus are vaporware, don't hold your breath.

So what are other good lights that are rechargeable (even if you have to take the battery out to charge it)?

This light also needs to fit a basketweave leather holster.

So, the Optimus and Invictus aren't coming out?

Comment

• Most of the lights mentioned on the first page will accept rechargeable batteries. Most of them will fit just fine in a loop/open bottom style holder made for a Stinger sized light.

Surefire has a nasty habit of marketing concepts they haven't even finished yet. Invicitus is still on the table as a 3 cell version, but Optimus wasn't even mentioned at the most recent SHOT Show.

Comment

Most of the lights mentioned on the first page will accept rechargeable batteries. Most of them will fit just fine in a loop/open bottom style holder made for a Stinger sized light.

Surefire has a nasty habit of marketing concepts they haven't even finished yet. Invicitus is still on the table as a 3 cell version, but Optimus wasn't even mentioned at the most recent SHOT Show.

So you buy for example AA rechargeable batteries and a charger from Target and use them in your flashlight? Or does it come with a rechargeable battery and charger from the light company or you can buy one additionally. Because I've had problems with rechargeable batteries like Energizer that you buy from Target or Best Buy.

What was supposed to be so special about the Optimus and Invictus? Power, battery life? So are you saying the Invictus will be produced, but as a 3 cell version......which is bad or something?

Last edited by HEDP; 03-01-2009, 10:56 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6053 users online. 308 members and 5745 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X