300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shouldr holsters

Has anyone used them? If so, what are your opinions? I am thinking of getting one. thankx.
    "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

I work on the shoreline in the mud most of the time and found that not only was the weight of my gun and holster on my belt harder on my lower back walking around in that stuff than on solid ground, my gun was always getting muddy and wet because it splashes up from my boots. Another warden I know was wearing a shoulder holster when I saw him at a meeting so I decided to try it. I was carrying a Beretta M9 and ordered a HighNoon Holsters "Under Armor" shoulder rig. (http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...der_armor.html) I chose it because the price was reasonable ($69.95 + $12 ea side for tie downs if you want them), it came with a double mag pouch opposite the holster, and it is made of a synthetic material that looks like leather but is tougher and easier to clean.

Once I got it adjusted so that it was comfortable for me and I could reach my gun and mags I tried it for work. It was a bit awkward at first but now that I'm used to it I love it. It took the weight of the gun and holster off my belt and allowed me to carry two more spare mags in addition to the two on my duty belt. The tie downs go around my duty belt and the inner belt and act like suspenders to help support them. My gun is up out of the mud and water and doesn't get in the way of seat belts and consoles, plus I'm not banging it into furniture and doorways and other people all the time. Yes, it is slower to draw from than my belt holster was but, surprisingly, it's not as bad as you'd think, like anything it takes practice to become proficient with it. I am comfortable and confident with my ability to access my weapon and put it into use if needed.

I will say that it felt kind of unbalanced with the M9, as it is such a heavy gun, even with two 18rd mags opposite of it. I have since change weapons to a Beretta Mini Cougar which is much lighter and has a much shorter grip frame. It comes with a 10rd mag but also uses the full size 15 rd mags with a sleeve that fills the gap between the frame and the mag base plate. It carries much more comfortably and is much better balanced than the M9. With 11 rds in the gun and 60 more between the spare mags on the shopulder rig and my duty belt, I don't think I'm giving anything up. So, I don't know what you carry but, for me, balance is a consideration.

I know alot of people will have negative things to say about shoulder holsters for duty carry, but after weighing my needs and trying it both ways, I feel that I've gained more than I've lost by going with the shoulder rig over the belt holster.

Comment

Our lead armorer must have had a bad experience with one.

In my agency shoulder rigs are expressly FORBIDDEN.

Muzzle disipline, even in the holster, matters to our firearms comittee. And the draw stroke almost unvariable forces one to wind to pointing the gun at something you do not wish to destroy. Your waist, your foot, your weak side arm.

That's ok with me. When I tried one I found them uncomfortable and too complex to untangle every day.
      I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

My policy doesnt mention anything on wether its allowed or not. I'm an investigator so duty wear is not an issue. I just want something different and it seems more comfortable. The hard part is I carry a H&K USP .40 full size so that in itself makes it harder to find any holster. I wish I could carry my glock 22 which opens a whole assortment of products.
        "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

Never wore one in an offical capacity, but use to wear them all the time when I carried concealed. I wore it daily when I was living in Washington State. The weather there is cool enough to wear a light wind breaker or coat all the time. Since moving to Louisiana, I do not wear it at all. Way too hot down here so there is no way to conceal a shoulder holster here. I really liked the comfort of the shoulder hoslter. I use to carry a 4 inch S&W in 357 mag revolver, and a S&W 9MM Semi-auto in the same holster.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4383 users online. 301 members and 4082 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X