300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashlight for traffic stops?

What do you all think the best flashlight is for a traffic stop? The most light? I have a stinger xt and i dont think that is doing the trick for me. not enough light. Let me know what you all use and think. I was thinking about buying a 3-D or 4-D cell mag lite and upgrading the light with a led bulb. if you've used something similar let me know.

thanks,
    -act330
    I Will Survive, I Will Go Home!

pelican 7060. it will blind anybody you point it at and it has good distance on it. i wear mine between the taser and radio so i always have it on me. i got tired of the mag charger hanging from my belt but i am one of those guys who always has a light on every call, even on dayshift.

Comment

On nighttime stops, I'm using a surefire 10x dominator. It burns through the juice fast, but it does the job fine for me. Depends on how much encumbrance you're willing to put up with.

Comment

I like the Streamlight Ultra Stinger 75,000 Candle power vs 10,000 with your XT and it is about the size of a 3d cell Maglite and it will fit in your existing XT charger and it is only $74.99 with free ups at optics planet.com
        Last edited by SCSU10; 04-23-2008, 07:42 PM.
        "We Train to Fight, We Fight to Win, We Win to Survive, We Survive to LIVE!"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

The pelican 7060 is wicked. Compact and effective. If I had the dough I'd have one. I also have a maglite from I think 1982 and just threw in the mag lite LED upgrade and I'm thoroughly pleased; it works great. But if you don't want to hump aroung the mag, get the 7060.
          Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity

Comment

On traffic stops I use my "Ultra Stinger" but have my Surefire M3 Combatlight on my duty belt. I prefer the light output of the M3 but normally use the Ultra Stinger since it is rechargable. The Pelican LAPD light is awesome and I want one. I beleive that is the light mentioned above. I have a total of 5 flashlights in my patrol car and extra batteries....never no when you need an extra light.

Comment

Flashlight

I purchased a WolfEyes Thunder a few months ago and it is by far the best and brightest light I have ever owned. I have placed it side-by-side with a pelican 7060 and the thunder is 2-3 times brighter. It will light up the ENTIRE interior of a veh, even through heavily tinted windows. I work in a relatively rural area, and have been able to light up treelines and be able to see clearly several hundred yards away. It is very close in brightness to the squad spotlight. On one occasion I shined it at someone and they almost fell over!! I will buy another one in a heartbeat if the current one dies, but I have dropped it several times and it still keeps going. Mine uses rechargeable batteries and if those go dead can still use cr123's. Great light, I bought mine from pacific tactical solutions.

Comment

Dep126, I was looking at some Wolfeyes lights yesterday at a local gun store and they looked impressive. One of the lights had a max output of 1800 lumens ??? Holy crap , I want to see that at night. I'm glad to here you like yours b/c I am interested in getting one.

Comment

Streamlight SL-20.....doubles nicely as an impact weapon
                  The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                    Streamlight SL-20.....doubles nicely as an impact weapon
                    Although the above is an excellent light, I went to the Ultra Stinger. It's about double the brightness, is slimmer and also can be used (in an emergency) as an impact weapon.
                    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                      Although the above is an excellent light, I went to the Ultra Stinger. It's about double the brightness, is slimmer and also can be used (in an emergency) as an impact weapon.
                      Havent tried the stinger....but, I'm not gonna cough up another $100 for a light when I already have 2 streamlights

At least we didnt have to go to the "Nerf Light" that LAPD is saddled with
                      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

That WolfEyes Thunder looks awesome but for $250 thats alotta cash. Im thinking about the ultra stinger now.

thanks everyone,
                        -act330

Comment

Not for self-purchase necessarily, but we have these "video flashlights" that give good light and record whenever you push the button. The traffic units mostly have them along with the SRT team. They're full size, rechargable, and bright. Great for traffic stops, a fairly short duration on the video, (maybe two hours or less?) and when you use the video recorder, re-charging is needed.

For handy, small flashlights, hard to beat the Stinger or the Surefire. We had general issue Pelican lights about six years ago or more, but they laid down on us and generally burned out quickly and permanantly. They're probably much improved by now, but it left a bad taste with us.
                          "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

Has anyone tried the LED upgrade from TerraLux Ministar5 for the Maglite's?

Comment

So ok, i went out cheap today, cause im low on cash right now. I got the 4-D Cell LED Maglite for $35. Im gonna make a stop tonight as soon as it gets dark. Ill let you all know how it works compared to my stinger.
                              Last edited by act330; 04-25-2008, 03:31 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2737 users online. 141 members and 2596 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X