300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glock+TLR-2= failure to feed

Has anyone else noticed an issue with their weapons light and jamming? Can a fix be recomended. Rapid fire is not a problem, when taking deliberate aim, one in six is an FTF. Im thinking during rapid fire my wrist is firmer....opinions?
    Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
    Thomas Jefferson

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

yes...do you have the mid sized Glock? on 2 guns we've seen this happen. the weight of the weapon light is enough to induce a malfunction. if it's the mid size take the light off and put it on the full sized and I bet you it will work fine.

if you have a full sized Glock then it must be something else.
    Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Its a glock 22. Can you explain why the weight would induce a malfunction? Thanks.
      Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
      Thomas Jefferson

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Glock

Wasn't there an issue with swapping out the spring with one that has 11 vs. 10 twists or something like that to handle the additional weight of the TLR-2?

Comment

I was told by an agency that when they went to weapon lights that they had to switch out magazine springs. Don't ask me to explain it, just what I was told. I bought a 22 about a year back and have a TLR-2 on it with no problems. I believe the guy I talked to had some of the first railed Glocks out. I am guessing they fixed the problem in newer guns.

Comment

The weight of the light (I know not much...) causes the frame to flex ever so slightly during the recoil process and the next round jams (nose-diving IRCC). Glock "fixes" this by using mags with 11 coils to add more strength to force the round up. Glock also only fixed this when they introduced their Glock Light and had the same problem as all the other weaponlights.

Comment

Last edited by jeeper; 04-10-2010, 02:13 AM.
              Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

+1 to the above. I've heard and read the same thing.
                sigpic
                A L L G A V E S O M E,  B U T S O M E G A V E A L L

Comment

I've read about this, but I used to work with a department where almost everyone had Glock 22s with issued TLR-1s. I never heard of it being a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jeeper View Post
                    As a GLOCK Armorer and long time GLOCK user, most of the response here are 'somewhat' correct.

The problem is with mostly recent production, only 40cal Glocks. It effects the Model 22, 23, and 35 when mounted with a light and sometimes without a light. The issue is that the 40 cal round is powerful and causes alot of slide velocity. The GLOCk frame needs to flex to ensure proper feeding of the next round. With the light mounted on the frame, the flex is changed or minimized. This causes the weapon to malfunction, usually the next round nose dives and doesn't feed.

The fix that GLOCK is currently recommending is that you get a generation 8 mag follower, an 11 coil magazine spring. Also, keep on top of replacing your recoil spring assembly (its a very cheap part). The recoil spring assembly should be replaced about every 3-5K rounds. This is the way that GLOCK recommends minimizing problems with feeding when using a weapon mounted light. Keep in mind, however, that if you call GLOCK customer service they will likely blame the light and tell you to use their brand light (which sucks). however, these problems have also appeared in weapons carrying the GLOCK light.

Topeka (iirc) KS PD and also Indiana State Police all got rid of all of theri GLOCK 40's because of issues in their reliability. The ISP guns were not even using lights. The TPD guns were some with and some without lights.

My best suggestion, carry a GLOCK 9mm if you can. With modern ammo there isn't that much difference between good quality 9mm defensive ammo and teh same in 40, however, GLOCK 9mms are unbelievably reliable. 40's, not so much. I recall reading something that said this issue is only with relatively recent (since the frame redesign in 12/05) guns only but rumor is that the newest ones have the appropriate follower and mag spring.

Feel free to PM if you need additional.

Personally, I will not carry a GLOCK 40cal.
                    Now that.....is some dern fine info. I appreciate you going into depth on the subject. Seeing as I have no choice but to keep the 22, Im going to run this info past my peoples and see if we can try out these changes. It will probably take me a few months to get in touch with the right people but we will see what happens.

I will say I am suprised about your experience with the 22. Up until this issue with the TLR I had had not one issue in ten years and 6-8k rounds.
                    Thomas Jefferson

Albert Einstein

Comment

Where should we get the suggested replacement parts? Will Glock send them to you for free? It seems like the ought to if there is a problem. I just ordered a light for my Glock 22, and I'm tempted to get the parts ahead of time just so I won't be waiting if there is a problem when I put the light on.

Comment

I have heard of that with certain mag springs.

Comment

I recently ponied up and purchased a tactical light for my dept. issued Glock 22. I work third shift (10 P-6A)so a weapons light makes good sense. Luckily when I make any changes in my weapons related gear I make sure everything still works like it should. I put the light on fired one shot-JAM- unfired round sticking straight up between the breech face and barrel. I cleared the jam and fired again. Two rounds and then jam! Same thing. I pulled the light and finished off the mag with no problems. Replace the light-jam after jam! Same thing with my Md. 23. Unbelievable. Guys-check out your stuff closely. If you change something-anything, test fire your weapon.

If you have a Glock 22 or 23, DO NOT PUT A WEAPON LIGHT ON IT!!!!
                          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by j706 View Post
                            I recently ponied up and purchased a tactical light for my dept. issued Glock 22. I work third shift (10 P-6A)so a weapons light makes good sense. Luckily when I make any changes in my weapons related gear I make sure everything still works like it should. I put the light on fired one shot-JAM- unfired round sticking straight up between the breech face and barrel. I cleared the jam and fired again. Two rounds and then jam! Same thing. I pulled the light and finished off the mag with no problems. Replace the light-jam after jam! Same thing with my Md. 23. Unbelievable. Guys-check out your stuff closely. If you change something-anything, test fire your weapon.

If you have a Glock 22 or 23, DO NOT PUT A WEAPON LIGHT ON IT!!!!
                            first off ,I commend you for checking your gear prior to hitting patrol- you'd be surprised at how many officers don't! but it sounds like you have a maintenance problem or poor ammo issues- many after market products for weapons are checked first by the manufacturer to prevent such issues- but you could have something defective preventing weapons operation-don't know how but maybe....

I carry a GLOCK 22 on duty and it has a Streamlight M3 attachment; the attachment has been in use by me for over 4 yrs now,and no problems( other than low battery life) most of the GLOCK 22 pistols have a built in rail on the lower frame under the slide- it doesn't even touch anything that could interfere with the pistol firing........
                            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Just get a sig.
                              Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6711 users online. 297 members and 6414 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X