300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off duty handcuffs

I just started working for my local Sheriffs Department.

I am looking for a good way to carry handcuffs while off duty. I only want actual metal handcuffs, so no zip-ties.

My question is, for those of you who do, how do you carry handcuffs while off duty? Since its cold weather where I live I have been stuffing then in a back pocket, but I'm looking for some new options. I thought about the bikini type holders, but I'm concerned they might be to easy to see if I bend over.

How do other folks carry cuffs while off duty?

Maybe someone needs to make a ankle holster for a set of handcuffs!

Why do you need to carry off duty? Couldn't you just keep a pair (or more) in your POV?

As an explorer, I don't have much issued stuff, though I'm trained (just barely) and allowed to carry cuffs. Sometimes I'll stash them in a pocket, because I'm tired of spending money on LE stuff and I'm not even a LEO. Actually, my handcuffs were hand me downs from a former explorer. I bought a $95 TDU uniform for my school's police agency, but then our duties were transferred to the explorer post I'm already a part of and of which I was issued a class A uniform for.
    sigpic

Comment

my opinion.. if you carry a gun in your area of employment, the area you will be indemnified in, carry cuffs.

i carry my off-duty gun strongside attached to a belt in a pancake holster. cuffs are right behind the gun, strongside rear. outside of area of employment... i do not carry cuffs, as i would not get involved unless threat of serious PI or death. i travel via train, subway and bus a lot, and have walked into some bizarre situations within my geographical area of employment.

steel cuff, small ballistic nylon case, attached to belt, strongside behind gun. can reach with either hand.

previous interaction with johnny genius off duty made my mind up for me.
      ===============================
      Fire burns, and when it rains you get wet.
      Stuff happens.

Comment

Why carry cuffs off duty? If I have to pull my gun when off duty, I am not going to be cuffing the dude. He'll be proned out until a marked unit gets on scene.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Why carry cuffs off duty? If I have to pull my gun when off duty, I am not going to be cuffing the dude. He'll be proned out until a marked unit gets on scene.
          been there.
          spent an eternity in a bad environment waiting for units to show. non compliant perp, big crowd and a bad neighborhood. my past experience dictates for me to carry cuffs.

like i said.
          my $.02
          ===============================
          Fire burns, and when it rains you get wet.
          Stuff happens.

Comment

A great alternative would be to carry these:

http://www.tuff-tie.com/

They are made of a nylon braid and are disposable. You can get a single pair for less than two bucks. I guess if you plan on handcuffing someone everyday that this would not be economical, however, these are great to have around with you if you are OD as they fit very easily into your pocket.

Comment

Get the ASP aluminum cuffs. They are very lightweight and will do the job until the marked units get there and switch over.

Comment

I have a pair I keep in my personal vehicle, but I would never consider carrying them around on me when I'm off-duty.

Comment

In another thread someone observed that while both bad guys and good guys carry guns, only the good guys carry handcuffs. If cuffs help identify us as good guys in a bad situation that alone should justify carrying them.

Wonder why no one makes titanium cuffs?

Comment

Our SOP states that if we carry off duty, we must have cuffs. I just put them in my back pocket.
                    In God we trust, all others are run MILES and NCIC.

Comment

Get a concealment carrier if you are going to carry them, you can attach it to your belt, out of site, and they will be accessible when you need them quickly.
                      http://www.lineofdutygear.com/mm5/me...tegory_Code=PO

Comment

I always carry handcuffs off-duty. I wear a belt and use one belt keeper to to secure them to it.

Comment

cuffs

I too recommend the tuff-tie for off duty carry, light weight and concealable.
                          "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
                          The Wolves Are Always At The Door! "1*"

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post

Wonder why no one makes titanium cuffs?

Cost, probably.
                            I miss you, Dave.
                            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4908 users online. 292 members and 4616 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X