• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jami86e
    Public Safety Lieutenant
    • Sep 2015

Boots for Foot Patrol

Hello,

What are the best women's boots for foot patrol? I know there are threads about duty boots, but I specifically need some for foot patrol. I have 5.11s and they leave me in so much pain, even with $60 insoles.

I specifically would like them to be waterproof and have a side zipper.

Thank you in advance!
  • tanksoldier
    • Dec 2009

The 5.11s are considered comfortable. I used 5.11 ATACs working in the jail, 12 hour shifts on concrete. My feet hurt at first because I wasn’t used to it, but that wasn’t the boot’s fault. Good socks are important, too.

I wear Thorogoods now:

...they are comfortable and look good, but I’m on the road now and rarely on my feet for very long.

I’ve heard good things about Nike, but no personal experience:

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• Jami86e
      Public Safety Lieutenant
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by tanksoldier
      The 5.11s are considered comfortable. I used 5.11 ATACs working in the jail, 12 hour shifts on concrete. My feet hurt at first because I wasn’t used to it, but that wasn’t the boot’s fault. Good socks are important, too.

I wear Thorogoods now:

...they are comfortable and look good, but I’m on the road now and rarely on my feet for very long.

I’ve heard good things about Nike, but no personal experience:

The 5.11s are horrible. I got them in June. They have been awful the entire time, even with $60 insoles in them

Comment

• tanksoldier
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Jami86e

The 5.11s are horrible. I got them in June. They have been awful the entire time, even with $60 insoles in them
        How long have you been working the foot patrol? It may just be a matter of getting used to it.

Maybe see a podiatrist, get some custom insoles? Make sure there’s nothing wrong with your feet, too. I had flat feet from the Army which was part of my problem.

The jail really tore my feet up, I had to take a week of light duty a couple months in to let them recover... sat in master control wearing tennis shoes, pushing buttons and answering phones.
        Last edited by tanksoldier; 04-19-2021, 07:55 PM.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• Jami86e
          Jami86e commented
          Editing a comment
          As previously mentioned, I’ve been wearing them since June.

• tanksoldier
          tanksoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          Other than seeing the podiatrist I don't have much to suggest then. The boots you're wearing are considered comfortable by most people who have them.

Like holsters, sometimes boots just work for one person and not another. Your only other option is to try boots, and maybe insoles, until you find something that works for you... but that can get expensive.

• Jami86e
          Jami86e commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe the men’s version is comfortable, but the women’s version is horrible. I had another female tell me the same thing tonight, so it’s not just me
      • tanksoldier
        • Dec 2009

That’s what also got me wearing toe socks:

Comment

• Levithane
          Forum Member
          • Feb 2017

Anything with a vibram sole. Under armor Infil ops Gore tex boots. Have to go to the jail a lot, lower income areas to check up on offenders where the concrete is usually jacked up and my feet have been comfortable in them. LA police gear had oakley field assault boots on sale for less than 100 dollars and they're supposed to be fairly comfortable as well.
          Last edited by Levithane; 04-19-2021, 08:11 PM.

Comment

• vdfnco
            Traveling Man
            • Oct 2008

ALTAMA® Aboottabad Trail - Elite Operator Waterproof Hiking Boot – The Original Footwear Co.
            These are super comfortable boots. I wear them on patrol and hiking. I even took a pair with me to the Amazon jungle in 2019.

Altama® Jungle PX 10.5" Tactical Boot – The Original Footwear Co.
            This is what I wear when it's hot out. I put a pair of superfeet insoles and it's amazing.
            1*

Comment

• Jami86e
              Public Safety Lieutenant
              • Sep 2015

All of these suggestions seem to be for men.

Comment

• Jami86e
                Jami86e commented
                Editing a comment
                If I’m having issues with women’s boots, I am definitely not going to risk them not fitting correctly, especially for how much they cost. I work in Security, so money is tight.

• vdfnco
                vdfnco commented
                Editing a comment
                I can only comment on men's boots as I haven't worn women's.

• Levithane
                Levithane commented
                Editing a comment
                Ok and if they don't fit you just return them. Most places you buy from will allow you to send them back free of charge these days.

• tanksoldier
                tanksoldier commented
                Editing a comment
                I really don't think there's any difference between men's and women's combat boots... they just put different sizes on them. Buy from somewhere like Amazon that has free returns.
            • Stone113
              Forum Member
              • Dec 2020

Originally posted by tanksoldier
              That’s what also got me wearing toe socks:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NIVOQJY
              Yes, socks may very well be more important than the boots (considering they’re the correct size). Darn Tough socks are the only socks I wear doing military operations, because I’m primarily on foot. I’d take Darn tough’s and issues boots over issued socks and $150 boots without hesitation. They’re $23 a pair but worth it if you’re on you’re feet the whole day. For patrol work some cheaper Nike dri fit works for me.

Comment

• kflo01
                Forum Member
                • May 2019

Ive got 5.11 boots and they are pretty decent. What made them somewhat better is I took out the insoles that came with them and put in some timberland insoles designed for workers who are standing on their feet all day. It helped some but I still am looking for more.
                Soon I am going to have to do 6 12 hour shifts in a row on my feet and I am DREADING IT! Looking for any edge equipment-wise or technique-wise that will help me power through it. Anyhow have any suggestions? A coworker suggested high compression socks. So I will look into that, Does anyone else has any ideas?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17149 users online. 21 members and 17128 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...