300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handcuffs

what kind does everyone use? are the ASP ones any better than the S&W or any other brand? thanks for any advice.

k..i will just use the fuzzy ones

Comment

Hiatts, hinged, black in color. They clip over my belt, and are made in England, who have been locking up people longer than anyone on the planet. Also they have triple locking bars that can't be pushed down when double locked. For the major idiots I have a pair of their hinged high security cuffs that have a double lock key similar to a padlock key. Once on and double locked, they ain't comin off.
      As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

my main cuffs are Pearless that were my dads when he was on the job. back-ups are S&W's and feel cheap. i'm going to pick up a pair of Hiatts for my main cuffs and take the S&W's off my belt and throw them in my gear bag.
        -Sean

Comment

is there a better diff. between the hinged cuffs and the chain? the hinged ones being stronger or safer?
          Last edited by RYNAMANIAC00; 06-09-2007, 04:27 PM.

Comment

i find hinged to be a pain in the *** to put on larger persons or those that are not being compliant. i haven't used them much since training in the academy with someone elses set. most cops i know use hinged. the ASPs are a bit gimicky if you ask me, a guy i work with has them and they feel cheap.
            -Sean

Comment

The high security Hiatt hinged fit larger wrists (or larger bad guys) well. As far as harder on non-compliant, I haven't noticed any more difficulty. It is much easier to get them on with keyholes up, and if someone starts fighting after one is on, it is easier for me to control them as the cuff doesn't twist. Also, with hinged, people can't manipulate objects as easy as the wrists can't bend around.
              As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

Originally posted by RYNAMANIAC00 View Post
                is there a better diff. between the hinged cuffs and the chain? the hinged ones being stronger or safer?

The hinged ones give you a handy leverage point if your detainee starts acting up. Just twist them for pain compliance.

I have Hiatt hinged cuffs for my main set and a pair of S&W chain cuffs for a backup or on bigger folks. I go for my hinged ones first, though.
                I miss you, Dave.
                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

MPDC requires us to carry Peerless 700 series.

Comment

I carried Peerless 501's for ten years; however, when I went to replace them I found that Peerless only makes the 801's now, which aren't nearly as good quality as the 501's. Peerless had a huge recall on the 801's and when I was teaching at the academy I had to cut-off at least three pairs because the double locking mechanism failed. The finish work is terrible and the pawl is sometimes so loose, the pointy end will clash with the cheekplate edge when handcuffing.

I carry the ASP's now, which are larger and more uncomfortable. Not that I care, but offenders most always complain that they hurt when they wear them for extended periods of time; even when applied correctly. The ASP handcuffs are quite bag and require a larger handcuff pouch. Nice features about the ASP cuffs: keyholes both sides, flexible cheekplates (which makes them harder to defeat using the seatbelt/break), and squared cuffing channel mark on the pawl.

Hinged cuffs allow a little more control when applied, whereas chain link handcuffs are more forgiving when performing high-risk cuffing. You are less likely to cause "Adam-Henry" application using the chain-link cuffs.

I will probably switch to Hiatt's eventually; I've heard nothing but good things about them. Although, I hear it takes some time to exercise a new set; they are a little stiff out of the box.

G.
                    Train with Passion, Fight with Courage, Live with Honor.

Comment

S&W #1's, one of each, chain and hinged, chain being primary per policy. Have several older pair of Peerless 100's but found them small for a lot of larger male's wrists.
                      Montana LEO
                      'Where the prairie meets the mountains"

Comment

I'm surprised to see so many carrying brands other and S&W. I don't think anyone in my agency carries anything else.
                        I handled the ASP cuffs recently and liked them. But not all leather will hold them, they are a bit bigger.

Comment

While working the jail I used peerless cuffs for about 5 years. I never really liked them, especially the double locking mechanism. when I got to the road I went to a pair of S&W model 100's and like them considerably more. The double locking mechanism is considerably better in my opinion. I have also checked out the ASP cuffs. They are light, flexible, and come in multiple colors (This could be useful in corrections settings for differing security level inmates or different housing units)

As far as hinged Vs. chained... I opt for chained. The reason for this is simple. The Hinged cuffs are very uncomfortable. While I know plenty of guys who say, "Who cares about the POS's comfort?" I would say that those cuffs would take a compliant subject and turn them into a fighter because they are not flexible and tend to dig into the wrists. Have someone put them on you just to get a "feel" for them and you'll see what I mean.
                          Good traffic rule of thumb - Broke down people, drive broke down cars.

Comment

My agency just started issueing Peerless chained cuff's, I haven't been issued any so I don't know the model number. They issue 1 pair anything else you have to purchase.

I'm still carrying my own, 1 pair of ASP's and one pair of S&W 100's. I really like the ASP's and they currently are gaining a following around here. I think most of it has to do with keeping up with the Joneses more than anything else. One of our reserves purchased the yellow ones last year, but got spanked for carrying them on a strap. So if we want the colored ones we have to have them in a case. As far as hinged we're allowed to carry them but they're all purchased by the individual officers, and it is highly recomended that you carry one pair of chained as well.
                            Forti Fors Bona

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6307 users online. 332 members and 5975 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X