300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting a magazine holder in 2018 Taurus Interceptor door

Guys and gals,. I would like to mount a couple pistol and rifle mag holders inside the door of my Taurus Interceptor. Which holders do you recommend for clipping onto the interior door?
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Why? .....
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      Why? .....
      Today is a strange day. I agree with CCCSD: why?
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Spare magazines, that's why.
        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
        that we are all that stands between
        the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Not that smart an idea.

Comment

Well, you can never have too much ammo unless you're on fire or drowning. If you want to mount magazines on the driver's door, your best option would be Kydex magazine carriers available from any number of holster manufacturers. You may want to remove the belt clip. You could then use Velcro to mount the carriers. This avoids permanent alteration to the car which the department may not allow. You can also remove the carriers if you share the car, drop it off for maintenance, or are assigned another car.

I do see some downsides to this, however. You probably don't want to be hanging out behind the driver's door in a gunfight. If you have to move, even to the rear of the cruiser, you'll need to abandon the ammo or come back for it. You may also find drawing the magazine from the door somewhat awkward.

If you need to take the spare magazines with you, you'll have to pull them from the door and stow them on your person or in a bag. That may be easier said than done, especially if you're trying to pocket them. If you're trying to grab your mags as everyone is gearing up on an active shooter response, you may find yourself alone in the parking lot.

The security of the magazines may also be an issue. We've all left driver's doors open for whatever reason. The magazines will be an attraction for any dirtbag spotting your open door. While you should secure your cruiser all the time, this makes it even more important.

You might consider a sling bag hanging from the driver's headrest or beside you on the street. I used an Eagle shotgun bandoleer in that role. That's no longer in production, but I suspect a 5.11 two or four banger would work nicely.

John from Maryland

Comment

Nobody thinking about those mags flying around in a crash...

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                Nobody thinking about those mags flying around in a crash...
                ​​​​​​​That and the seat organizer, spare handcuffs, radio mic, computer, caffeinated beverage etc.

I like being prepared as I reasonably can. I just keep some extra shotgun shells and a pistol magazine in the door pockets.

Comment

I carried a lot of spare 30-round AR mags, downloaded to 29 rounds to seat easily on a closed bolt.

I kept one spare 30-round mag sticking up out of a pocket on the near side of my patrol bag in the right front passenger seat. If I only had one second to bail out if the car, I could grab that one and stick it in my left rear trouser pocket.

I also had a velcro-backed shingle that held three spare 30-round mags, stuck to the top of my patrol bag. If I had a few seconds, I could grab it, unzip my uniform shirt, and slap it onto the velcro on the front of my vest.

If I had 10-15 seconds, I could don my ceramic rifle plate carrier, which had three spare 30-round mags in an open-top kydex taco across the front.

And I had four more 30-round mags inside my patrol bag, just because.

This gave me plenty of rifle ammo for myself, as well as a way to supply any other officers showing up.

I don't see the point of mounting spare mags to the inside of the door panel, for numerous reasons.

And I don't see the point of having any more spare pistol ammo than the spare pistol mags on our duty belt- to quote Clint Smith, the primary purpose of a pistol is to fight our way to our rifle...
                  Last edited by Aidokea; 03-13-2021, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• westside popo
                    westside popo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Current department doesn't allow us to carry rifles.

• Aidokea
                    Aidokea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well that sucks.

It's a lot easier to qualify officers on the rifle than the shotgun, especially those officers hired for reasons other than their ability to do the job...

• scotty_appleton814
                    scotty_appleton814 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is a great post.

Originally posted by SmallCityCop View Post
                  Spare magazines, that's why.
                  No, not really.

Are you going to go back to your car and get them when you run out of ammo?

Extremely unlikely you will run out of ammo IN your car.

Spare ammo has to go with you, otherwise you may as well leave it in the trunk.

That and the seat organizer, spare handcuffs, radio mic, computer, caffeinated beverage etc
                  Would you believe I literally have everything lashed down in the passenger compartment?
                  Last edited by tanksoldier; 03-14-2021, 12:02 AM.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Set up a magazine bag you can grab and sling over your shoulder...something like this...

sling bag.JPG

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4885 users online. 258 members and 4627 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X