300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASP Tactical Cuffs

Hey, just picked up a pair of these as my secondary cuffs. I have one issue with them though, the metal cuff fits very tight between the plastic part when I try to apply these, which causes me to close them manually. Will oiling the hinges help or do they just need to be broken in? Has any one else experienced this with those cuffs? Thanks!

They are my dept's new standard issue (to the disapproval of a few), however we have had no problems with them, and they all have worked perfectly out of the box, w/o having to be broken in. Try some good gun oil, wd40 or a bit of break free, and if they are still tight send them back to ASP for another pair
    Facts are meaningless, they can be used to prove anything.

Stay Safe

Comment

Hinged or Chain

Which is the better one with these cuffs? I am thinking about getting a pair for a new job in a jail.
      "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
      -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by miarmstr View Post
        Which is the better one with these cuffs? I am thinking about getting a pair for a new job in a jail.
        I use chain cuffs, seem to work for me *shrugs*

Comment

I have 4 pairs of them and only one has been a bit tight, but better than another other cuff I have worked with. I still have 2 pairs of Hyatt's, 1 chain and 1 hinged.

I have both styles, hinged and chain, for all around chain will probably be better. Just my .02 worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluedog70 View Post
            Hey, just picked up a pair of these as my secondary cuffs. I have one issue with them though, the metal cuff fits very tight between the plastic part when I try to apply these, which causes me to close them manually. Will oiling the hinges help or do they just need to be broken in? Has any one else experienced this with those cuffs? Thanks!

I had the same problem. The store where I purchased them said that when ASP made them they put what they call "Flash" in the pivot point (where the metal and plastic join together). What was recommended by the store was to flex that pivot point back and forth using some force and small amounts of oil and it will remove that "flash". I did this and it worked well now my ASP Hinged cuffs work amazing. (Don't forget all ASP products have a warranty therefore if you are able to find a way to mess them up you can always send them back)
            "If it's predictable, it's preventable"

Comment

Originally posted by miarmstr View Post
              Beware the one problem I have found with ASP cuffs is that they do not fit through most belly chains. So, if your jail uses belly chains for transport you may want to reconsider.

Comment

i put a drop or two of wd40 and they work like a champ now after 2 months of not putting another drop on them.

Comment

ASP cuffs Rock. Espically when a drunk looks @ it and thinks he can break em because of how they look.
                  DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

Comment

I always get the, "Oh wow, new cuffs huh?" from badguys. And the older officers say, "Yeah, he's new...new guy, new cuffs" or something to that effect. I've had a lot of older officers ask to look at them and then hand them back with skepticism about their effectiveness. But as much as ASP and all the other gear companies have been pushing them, I think they'll all come around soon enough. ASP is a reputable company and when they come out with something, people pay attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Kycop28 View Post
                      ASP cuffs Rock. Espically when a drunk looks @ it and thinks he can break em because of how they look.
                      Have you had anyone try to break them? If so, did they bend at all? I hooked someone once and then had another officer transport them. That officer returned my cuffs later when he saw me and I quickly noticed they were bent. I later found out that the officer had wanted to "test" them and see how strong they were and bent the metal near the pivot point. ASP fixed them and returned them to me quickly.

Comment

had the same problem w/ mine. a little MD40 and have worked fine for months. i have the hinged set, they're bigger than the average hinged cuff so they work pretty slick

Comment

Rubber Cuffs?

A couple of times when cuffing more than on person the bad guys fight over my cuffs saying something like ......" hey man I want the rubber cuffs." They work great.

Comment

I use Hiatts hinged. I like them because they can't get to the keyholes like they can with chain. I got Hiatts as they are made in England, and the English have been locking people up for quite a long time now. They also have the triple locking bar, so they are harder to pick with anything. I also have a pair of Hiatts high security hinged cuffs with the larger style key. They work fantastic and when double locked with the key, ain't coming off. They can't push the teeth down with anything when these things are on.
                            As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

Got a new Galls today and apparently ASP is making all black versions of the cuffs now. AND they have some sn***y looking new open top cases for them. All looks very nice. If only I hadn't just spent a good chunk of change on two sets of black/silver ASP cuffs and several different case options.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5577 users online. 303 members and 5274 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X