Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carrying rifle magazines on regular patrol uniform?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying rifle magazines on regular patrol uniform?

Howdy,
    I was wondering if anyone carries rifle mags as a regular part of their uniform (belt/vest). If so, where, how and how many?

Thanks

They make mag pouches for rifle magazines.

Comment

I see no need to carry rifle magazine(s) around all day on my person. They serve no purpose without the rifle, and when I grab my rifle, I grab mags too.

There are many ways to add mags when you grab your rifle. If I had time for nothing else, I would just grab a loose one and shove it in my support-side rear trouser pocket. I also had a velcro-backed three-mag shingle, that I could stick to the front of my soft body armor simply by unzipping my uniform shirt. And finally, I carried three mags on the front of the carrier for my level-IV ceramic rifle plates.

Comment

An officer who worked for my former department carried a rifle/pistol magazine combination sold by Center Mass Inc. As a practical matter, it worked better with a twenty round magazine. I purchased one, but decided it was too bulky for wear.

I carried a Blue Force Gear magazine carrier with three magazines (it holds six) or a larger bailout bag that I brought out with my rifle if I wasn't using the plate carrier. I also kept a spare magazine in the rifle bag in case I flummoxed grabbing the ammo bag when deploying from the car.
        John from Maryland

Comment

I did for a while when I was in uniform. After a few years I concluded it was taking up precious room and adding weight.

Some good alternatives are a mag coupler, mag pouch on the buttstock, or some type of bail-out bag.

I had also cut some foam out for the pocket at the bottom of the door with two cutouts for AR mags so they were at hand without rattling and easy to get to. Did that on both sides of the truck in case I ever was in a bad spot on the passenger side.

The best AR mag pouch I have used is the ITW Fast Mag.

Comment

Originally posted by John from Maryland View Post
            An officer who worked for my former department carried a rifle/pistol magazine combination sold by Center Mass Inc. As a practical matter, it worked better with a twenty round magazine. I purchased one, but decided it was too bulky for wear.

I carried a Blue Force Gear magazine carrier with three magazines (it holds six) or a larger bailout bag that I brought out with my rifle if I wasn't using the plate carrier. I also kept a spare magazine in the rifle bag in case I flummoxed grabbing the ammo bag when deploying from the car.
            I have one of the center mass pouches and hated it ! Don’t waste your money! Way to bulky for everyday carry! I keep one in the rifle and 2 in my car door, figure I can toss them in a cargo pocket if need be. And I keep my active shooter kit “vest with rifle plates and couple more mags in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by CO Blue_Knight View Post
              Howdy,
              I was wondering if anyone carries rifle mags as a regular part of their uniform (belt/vest). If so, where, how and how many?

Thanks
              I wear one 20 round AR mag on my duty belt next to my pistol mags in a Bladetech holder.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

honestly, having a second magazine affixed to your rifle with a Redi-Mag would be more useful.

Comment

• Aidokea
                  Aidokea commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Redi-Mag makes an already heavy rifle, even heavier. The AR platform tends to gain weight over time. I mean, mine already has a padded adjustable 2-point sling, two scopes, flip-up backup sights, a 500-lumen light, Magpul hand stop, cup holder, espresso maker, ShamWow, Snuggie, and whatever else I put on there...
                  Last edited by Aidokea; 12-28-2020, 10:25 AM.

An officer I work with wore one on his belt as a spare mag for his duty rifle while working different details in uniform. I know a couple other guys who wear them on there vest or belt while working patrol.

Check out Safariland 774 rifle pouch
                sigpic

Fist Pumping Like Champs
                GYM TAN LAUNDRY GTL
                Greased Up Italian Dancing Out-of-control

GUIDO

Comment

But why? I have a ranger rack in my door where I can grab a few extra mags and stuff them in my cargo pocket when I grab my rifle.

https://dsgarms.com/ranger-rack

Comment

I also don't see the benefit for taking up space on your belt for an AR mag. I think the goal should always be less weight on you, not more.

I personally have three mags on my Plate Carrier which I'm more than likely going to be throwing on if i ever need my rifle. For an extreme situation I also have a "active shooter" sling that carries a medpack and 4 additional AR mags and 2 additional Glock mags.

But to each their own.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4237 users online. 267 members and 3970 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X