Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holster question...

Hello,

I plan on going to the academy later this year, and I will be required to provide my own duty belt, cuff case, double mag pouch, and gun holster. I've already purchased the belt, cuff case, and mag pouch (all safariland, cause I know they make good stuff), but I am torn on which holster to get. I've narrowed my choices down to the SSIII and the Raptor, both by Safariland. We are not required to have level 3 holsters in the academy, but I figure the earlier I learn to use one effectively, it will only be better for me. Plus, I will have a spare holster in the future when I get a job.

If you use, or have used either of these holsters, could you give me your input on them...pros and cons of each.

thanks for your time.

I wore an 070/SSIII for 10 or 11 years. With the exception of it not being able to accomodate a pistol with a tac light, there is nothing bad to say about it.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Use what you feel comfortable with. I've only used basic thumb break type holsters with a tension screw (Level II) for over 30 years and they've worked just fine. When I did have someone attempt a takeaway, an affirmative response dealt with the problem just fine. I just don't believe in placing a lot of trust in a complex, mechanical answer which (to me) can cause increased difficulties to the user.
      Examples:
      1) Do you carry your gun off-duty in the same type of holster, utilizing the same method of draw as your on-duty holster?
      2) Can you draw your weapon quickly enough from a fully secured holster or do you find yourself unstrapping your gun during "routine" stops (thereby turning your Level III holster into a Level I or Level O holster)?
      3) Can you draw your weapon from your Level III holster with your weak hand?

I'm not saying Level IIIs aren't suitable for duty use, only that the advantages and disadvantages must be evaluated by the user thoroughly and he/she should make an informed decision.
      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I've carried th 070 for 14 yrs. My department just switched oer to nylon gear an issued me a crappy Uncle Mikes holster with a different retention method. I refused to give up my 070/SSIII!!! After 14 years my muscle memory is set to that holster! I can draw and fire from it in about 1.5 sec., and can draw with my weak hand. It's all about training. As far as off duty is concerned, I carry an entirely different weapon in an entirely different holster, and train with it accordingly. Keep in mind that if you get on a department that requires a certain holster you may have to abandon what you choose and learn to use something new. Level III's are easy to master if they're designed well and IMAO you've picked 2 of the best. I bought a 070/SSIII in the Nylon Look finish and now carry that on duty. Good Luck!!
        "Don't mistake my kindness, for weakness"

Comment

Four words

Safariland sixty two eighty.
          I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

+1, However I highly recommend adding the sentry switch to it. Just like everything, training is everything!
            "If it's predictable, it's preventable"

Comment

The 6280 uses the older SLS-only. I'd jump up to the newer SLS + ALS.

I've narrowed my replacement holster down to:

Safariland 6360 - w/light
              http://www.copquest.com/23-0790.htm

with

Safariland 567BL High Ride Belt Loop - Adjustable Angle Fit
              http://www.copquest.com/23-2400.htm#...able_Angle_Fit
              Last edited by Resq14; 05-05-2007, 06:50 AM.
              All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

Did you mention your type of pistol ?

If a Glock ........ the Level two model 295 by Safariland would be my choice for a beginner. If something like a Sig etc ...then a 6280.

I suggest staying away from the Safariland L3 model 070...... unless you wish to be looking like a dumbass at the academy range. Presenting the weapon is tough...... reholstering is much like giftwrapping a live turkey.
                Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
                Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Geezer View Post
                  reholstering is much like giftwrapping a live turkey.
                  "I neither approve or blame. I merely relate."- Voltaire

Comment

I suggest staying away from the Safariland L3 model 070...... unless you wish to be looking like a dumbass at the academy range. Presenting the weapon is tough...... reholstering is much like giftwrapping a live turkey.
                    Train with it, and you won't look stupid. I can release my weapon from all 3 retention devices in one motion. Re-holstering is easy as well. Shove it in and re-snap.

Comment

Did you mention your type of pistol ?

If a Glock ........ the Level two model 295 by Safariland would be my choice for a beginner.
                      Sarge thinks you're rich or somthing ..295's are nice but I would suggest looking around for a good price. They can be pretty expensive.
                      If he knocks your teeth out swallow them and hit back, never give up because an officer doesn't deserve to die on a dirty street.

Comment

Thanks for all your input. I just found out one of my buddies back home (former C.O.) has a SSIII. He's gonna let me play around with it and see if I like it or not. He said he knows someone with a raptor too that I could try out. In reference to what gun I will be using, it is my trusty Glock 22.

Comment

Originally posted by kentreserve45 View Post
                          Sarge thinks you're rich or somthing ..295's are nice but I would suggest looking around for a good price. They can be pretty expensive.
                          The entire Safariland line seems to have jumped in the last 18 months. What was $99. is now $150.

I have acquired several 295s off of Ebay new at prices from $50 to $75. Just avoid "used" holsters because they're usually very used.
                          Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

Sgt. Geezer,

Does the 295 use an ejector port lock like the SSIII? Also, I noticed that the style of thumb break on the 295 is different than conventional thumb breaks. Are they just as easy to operate?

Comment

The 295 uses a lock which hooks into the trigger guard preventing removal when the pistol is pulled up. The thumbbreak wraps around the front of the Glock keeping it in the upright position.

The drawing motion which is trained ... The thumb hits the break at the same time the pistol grip is acquired and then a slight rocking motion forward disengages the lock from the trigger gaurd and the pistol is presented.

The return is faster.... the pistol is inserted into the open top & pushed down to the locked position and break re-snapped.

The only level two holster quicker to use is the Blackhawk Serpa.

The 295 has been issued by the NYSP and they just did a reissue for the new Gap45s....So they must still think they are the best available.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4300 users online. 257 members and 4043 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X