300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Duty belt question

I've seen a lot of Troopers wear a belt that goes over one shoulder and attaches to the duty belt. It's not really a suspender as it doesn't go over both shoulders, just one. Does anyone know what this is called? I've looked at cops plus and galls and can't find them anywhere.

Its called a Sam Brown belt. The cross strap is for show, and on modern belts has an automatic quick release in case the bad guy grabs the strap. The Army MPs used to wear them as part of the dress uniform, and most Troopers now wearing them wear them only as part of the dress uniform. You have extra cost with no benefit other than looks.

Comment

Its called a suicide strap...
      "If it's predictable, it's preventable"

Comment

The RCMP has a Sam Browne belt, with cross-strap, which is ONLY worn with our Review Order (ceremonial parade) of dress, either the full belt when wearing pistol in holster (with white neck lanyard), handcuffs in pouch and magazines in pouch, or stripped with keepers to hold the cross-strap.

Way back in the day (as recently as 1975) when we still wore pea jackets as our winter coats, we had to wear the full Sam Browne OVER the outside of the pea jacket. Fortunately, we did away with THAT order of dress a LONG time ago!
        #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
        Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
        RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
        Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
        "Smile" - no!

Comment

We have one for a class A dress uniform. The only benfit is looks, I think it makes the belt feel uneven.

Comment

Cross Strap

I wear the Leather Sam Brown Belt and Cross Strap when on motor duty. They have a kit with a spring steel quick release connectors. I think if adjusted right and set up correctly they take a little weight off the belt.

Comment

Don Hume makes one, and you can find it on their website. I think perhaps Gould and Goodrich make one as well. It's called a suicide strap as an aggressor can easily grab it and hold you, sling you around...whatever. Some have some type of quick release mechanism so if you "yank" on the strap it comes loose. A deputy told me one time he had the quick release, but it didn't work right. They look spiffy, but they only make sense really for highway patrol since all you mostly do is sit and look officious.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3322 users online. 169 members and 3153 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X