Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd_shift
    replied
    There are led lights that come close to 500 lumens, but ya gotta look for them.
    I have rebuilt several 2c maglites into 600+ lumen led monsters.

Give it a few more years.
    Led technology should catch up to the mainstream.

Leave a comment:

• PeteBroccolo
    replied
    Originally posted by toasterlocker View Post
    I've been doing a lot of browsing over at Candlepower forums lately, and although half the time I don't even know what they are talking about (they are REALLY into lights, almost on a creepy level), I've discovered one thing:

The rest of us have NO idea what we are missing.

The Stingers, maglites and other stuff most LEOs use are absolute garbage compared to what is out there now, often for half the price. LED technology is out of control, and the big name manufacturers haven't seemed to catch on yet. I'm beginning to wonder why someone would even use an incandescent light in LE anymore.

I just ordered a fenix light from www.fenixstore.com. All my other flashlights (including the Gladius) are going on ebay. I just sold a Stinger XTHP, and almost felt a little guilty that I was very likely putting inferior equipment into a cop's hands.
    See you PM box! Willing to try to help a Campus Security Officer.
    Last edited by PeteBroccolo; 04-26-2007, 09:40 PM. Reason: Added more info

Leave a comment:

• Sabre
    replied
    There is no question that LEDs are more durable and longer lasting.

I'm still with the "more light = better" crowd, as long as whatever is producing the light is reasonably durable. With my modded Mag-Charger, I can open it up to full flood and light up every square inch of the interior of a car. The absolutely ridiculous amount of throwing distance comes in handy when I'm in more rural areas.

All of the LEDs I've seen throw a decent spot, but can't flood an area like my incandescent. 500 blinding lumens can light up crowds, whole rooms, car interiors, and wide swaths of the outdoors like no LED can.

In case you're wondering, all I did with my Mag-Charger is add a $6.00 Phillips 5761 projector bulb and a mica heat shield underneath it to protect the wimpy plastic socket from melting.

I understand it's a matter of preference, and I do have a Mag-LED in by bag for when I need more run-time (like directing traffic). I think there are situations, however, when the more blinding light you can throw at somebody means more chance of survival.

Leave a comment:

• toasterlocker
    replied
    I understand that common logic would assume "more light = better", but there is more to it than that.

LEDs are more durable, longer lasting, lower battery drain, and the color rendition thing is a matter of opinion, especially with the newer LEDs out there.

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue, I can understand going with a modified incandescent if you HAVE to have that extra light, no debate there. My point was more along the lines of why are people still getting crappy lights like Stingers when there are better, cheaper lights out there.

Streamlight has one hell of a racket going on right now if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• Sabre
    replied
    I'm beginning to wonder why someone would even use an incandescent light in LE anymore.
    Because they are brighter and produce better color rendition.

My modified Mag-Charger puts out 500 lumens. No current LED comes close.

Leave a comment:

• toasterlocker
    replied
    I've been doing a lot of browsing over at Candlepower forums lately, and although half the time I don't even know what they are talking about (they are REALLY into lights, almost on a creepy level), I've discovered one thing:

The rest of us have NO idea what we are missing.

The Stingers, maglites and other stuff most LEOs use are absolute garbage compared to what is out there now, often for half the price. LED technology is out of control, and the big name manufacturers haven't seemed to catch on yet. I'm beginning to wonder why someone would even use an incandescent light in LE anymore.

I just ordered a fenix light from www.fenixstore.com. All my other flashlights (including the Gladius) are going on ebay. I just sold a Stinger XTHP, and almost felt a little guilty that I was very likely putting inferior equipment into a cop's hands.

Leave a comment:

• Flashaholic
    replied
    Somehow I doubt that a 3 watter is putting out 150+ lumens. (The exact lumen output is rather hard to find, though.)

The output also drops to 50% fast (check out flashlightreviews.com for the numbers.)

Just my 2¢.

Leave a comment:

• ICEMAN1977
    started a topic maglite led

maglite led

i was impressed on how bright a 3 cell D flashlight with LED kit is..
    its a mini spotlight. I can easily get 100 plus feet in darkness.

also for a compact light the Gerber Lx 3.0 is 51 lumens of led brightness
    and that mag lite is easily 3 times as bright
    Last edited by ICEMAN1977; 04-25-2007, 07:04 PM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4646 users online. 301 members and 4345 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X