300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Armor Plates-interchangable?

Last edited by kruwl; 02-24-2010, 05:56 PM.

If your talking about trauma plates, brand shouldn't matter just the size due to the plate pocket size.
    Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Well, he wrote rifle plate and Level III so I am assuming he IS talking rifle and not trauma plates. Is this going to be your regular duty vest set up? If so, this is a rather odd combo of things to slap together and I would gather it will not be very comfy. A Level II vest is fine for regular patrol. Chances are a better purchase for comfort would be to buy the Impac S.T. Trauma plate that is rated stand alone Level IIIa to put in the trauma plate pocket. No, it won't stop rifle rounds, but I would imagine that steel rifle plate has to weigh at least 5 lbs. Now for the 5X8 plate you want to put on your back. Have you tried this setup yet? If you have to drive in a squad I suspect this would be murder on your back. For me, I have my "man with rifle" vest that I keep in the trunk of my squad which is two 10X12 ceramic rifle plates in a Blackhawk STRIKE Vest that would be worn over my regular vest, and it will be worn in those rare instances, not for regular patrol. It might help us if you tell us what role this vest will be playing. Also, what do you mean by "tape" these plates to your vest. This does not sound like it should be 1 of the 1000 uses for Duck Tape
      www.saveavet.org

Comment

Last edited by kruwl; 02-24-2010, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kruwl

I'd love to carry a second vest, but finances and convenience aren't going to dictate the practicality of it. AKA-i dont have the dough or the time to swap vests, as I am often going from call to call.
          Umm how about just getting a new/different carrier? They can be had for comparatively little cash money.
          Last edited by Resq14; 04-18-2007, 01:07 AM.
          All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

I got my Blackhawk STRIKE Vest Plate Carrier for $75 on closeout through Blackhawk. That is pretty damn cheap. There are also "airsoft" Plate Carrier vests out there that have gotten VERY good reviews for the role we as Police would use them in for about $45. Daily use in Iraq, no, but tossed on once or twice a month for an hour or two, more than adequate. That is all you would have to buy. Then I have MOLLE puches attached to the vest to hold extra ammo (handgun and long gun) and other goodies. To be honest, I have NEVER in my close to 10 years of being a LEO EVER heard of someone with your set up for daily patrol. Hey, to each his own, whatever makes you feel better, you are your own best judge.

dont have the dough or the time to swap vests, as I am often going from call to call.
            There is no "vest to swap". You wear your patrol soft body armor as you usually would, then if you get that very "hot" call, you toss it (the plates in the plate carrier) on over the outside of your uniform. Takes me about 20 secs to get fully comfy and set up. Again, unless you work in a VERY HOT area (like a war zone), wearing rifle plates on regular patrol is a bit over the top, but again, only you can decide.
            www.saveavet.org

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5856 users online. 349 members and 5507 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X