300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more Interceptor?

Wondering if anyone knows any more about this since I haven't actually seen any press releases from Ford. I've heard a few people saying lately that Ford is going to put the axe to the Crown Vics and Police Interceptors.

Anyone heard anything similar?

I know dodge has made the police edition chargers and I've heard they plan to do the same with the new Avengers. Both look a little cramped as is and I can't see how the consoles are going to fit very well.

There's always speculation, I was told by a reliable source in our dept. that Ford was keeping the CVPI at least a couple more years, then going to a different concept. The Chargers we have are great cars, but they are a bit cramped in the back. The consoles seemed to fit just fine though. Different uses for different cars, I wouldn't say that any one car can do everything.

Comment

I read an article about a month back saying that Crown Vics were becoming fleet cars only. If I find it I'll repost.

*Found it
      Last edited by JohnnyZ; 04-15-2007, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Its been a platform for LE, for years, and served it well, I'd doubt highly that ford will drop the program. Actually the last of the rumor mill I caught on to, was that Rousch Racing would be developing a concept performance package for LE Cruisers.
        The right man in the wrong place, can make all the difference.

Comment

2008 Police Interceptor.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...cPoliceInt.asp

No word on a civilian model yet, but I do not think they are going to can it just yet.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I was a little shocked hearing the rumor as well but given the rocky road Ford is on who knows.

Glad to see it'll be around for a little while longer. I still prefer the ceptor over the others. Mind you I haven't driven the hemi version of the charger....yet

Comment

Ford is committed to the CVPI for a couple more years, but that's not a hard and firm decision. They have started development for a new police package vehicle, but its far from production. We've been hearing this rumor for probably 10 years at least. I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" crowd on this one.
              Originally posted by kontemplerande
              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by 124exp
                2008 Police Interceptor.
                https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...cPoliceInt.asp
                No word on a civilian model yet, but I do not think they are going to can it just yet.

Originally posted by fleet.ford.com
                Tested in 75-mph rear-end crash – no other car in the world is tested to this standard!
                Sure, TESTED, but they never said if it passed, or blew up.

Comment

I was in a traffic crash in my squad. I was the passenger. A mental that was high blew a stop sign on a side street doing about 45mph and T-boned us right in my door. We kept moving after the impact and ended up hitting a house. Our car was totalled. Badly. But both my partner and I were able to walk away with only serious bruising. I will miss the CVPI's once they're gone now that I know that they are built weel enough to protect me from a crash like that.

Comment

That rumor has been going for at least 10 years.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Ballistic Door Pannels...

Yet it doesn't say what caliber they fired at it.
                      The right man in the wrong place, can make all the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by markdh720
                        I was in a traffic crash in my squad. I was the passenger. A mental that was high blew a stop sign on a side street doing about 45mph and T-boned us right in my door. We kept moving after the impact and ended up hitting a house. Our car was totalled. Badly. But both my partner and I were able to walk away with only serious bruising. I will miss the CVPI's once they're gone now that I know that they are built weel enough to protect me from a crash like that.
                        Glad you were okay. Had something similar happen to a guy I knew about 4 years back. The cruiser lost out to a fire hydrant, cutting the car (and unfortunately the driver) essentially in half.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=16534

Something else I found...

http://www.safetyforum.com/cvpi/

Comment

Originally posted by aftermath
                          Glad you were okay. Had something similar happen to a guy I knew about 4 years back. The cruiser lost out to a fire hydrant, cutting the car (and unfortunately the driver) essentially in half.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=16534

Something else I found...

http://www.safetyforum.com/cvpi/

Ok I understand the chart on that second page shows that in 2001 there weer 6 times the fires in CVPIs than there were in caprices and impalas. However, what it doesn't show is how many police departments were using CVPIs in 2001 as compared to Impalas and Caprices... my guess is it was probably 4-6 times as many.

Comment

I know other departments near mine have been in testing with the Dodge Charger and Dodge Magnum too. Our car/equipment guy gave a thumbs up to the Charger for performance, but I guess the back seat is even smaller than the Crown Vic once you add barriers and such.

As it is, people I transport have all kinds of problems getting in and out of that back seat, which sucks for the officer, because then I have to get that much closer to them helping them get in and out. And that's including having the seat removed, instead having a plastic bench.

I mean come one, a lot of people smell funny, it should be a certified job hazard.

-Phlip
                            Invisible cows control my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Phlip View Post
                              As it is, people I transport have all kinds of problems getting in and out of that back seat ...
                              Ford offers a long wheelbase option, a six-inch stretch, on their Commercial Taxi Package. The extra length shows up in the back seat, as I understand.

Perhaps if we cuffed and stuffed a few Ford marketing people and left them in the back seat of a CVPI with a screen they'd realize the value of this option to the police market.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6393 users online. 342 members and 6051 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X