300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duty Gear Knives

Hey guys im newer on the road and i want to carry a knife and i dont know which to get. Ive looked at some of the smith and wesson automatic push button open ones for around $50 and they seem pretty sweet. Anyone have any ideas for a light weight automatic opening knife? thanks

I worked in a Cutlery, and have had interest and a knowledge base of knives for a long while. When I had LEO's come in for a knife, foremost I'd need to identify wether they needed a Folder or Fixed, lot of CA K-9 dudes took fixed blades. Then I needed to spend about ten minutes convincing them that Speed Assist blades are never manufactured right, something suffers in some way, all the time, for those things to click open.

What I always recommend as primary concerns for LEO's, EMT's and FF's is a hefty blade lock, and a gnarly good finger guard, and preferably one with a metal frame, to many times you guys break the plastic frames. (Stop breaking the benchmades! They're supposed to be reliable :\ ). Anyway I strayed guys away from CRKT's, Smith and Wessons (they can't do knives...) and Cold Steel's into Kershaw's, SOG's, Benchmades, and Emirsons.

However there was one knife above all that, I never, EVER had a complaint about from a cop that bought one, in fact two came back to say how much they liked them. And its the Jim Wagner Folding Knife from Boker. If ever a knife was spec'd out for LEO's the Jim Wegner is it. Its past your price range though. Practical, Tacticool, and made out of Quality and Win.

The knife that comes to mind, is a Kershaw Vapor II, hefty little sucker, that takes to its edge and keeps it, great knife, sturdy locking mechanism.

There is another awesome knife roaming about from SOG, you'll want to avoid cutlery's getting it, or you'll take the price in the form of a suppository. Galls had it for a fair price last time I checked its called the SOG Flash II, amazing knife, aesthetically its just pretty, practically its definately a must.

If you want quality at the 50 dollar price, you'll need to stray from assisted open blades, the last knife I saw do it right was the Kershaw BOA, its about $120.

So I'll re-iterate here, you can't go wrong with a Kershaw Vapor II. But to get Quality Assisted Open folding knives you'll need to hop your price range up. And stray far, far away from smith and wesson for knives, I love my gun from S&W, but these folks have no grasp of how to make a pointy piece of metal with an edge.

There is a local shop that deals in custom made knives, http://www.nordicknives.com its located in Solvang here in California, but they deal in custom knives and ship them all over the world, their service, attention to detail, and customer satisfaction are superb.

G'Luck.
    Last edited by Enikad; 04-10-2007, 03:02 AM.
    The right man in the wrong place, can make all the difference.

Comment

Victronix Swiss Army Knife... The one with scissors and a ruler. You'll use that one more than ANY tactical ninja short-sword lotsa guys carry around.
      I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

ok thanks for your info guys.. Here is the next question. Im completely clueless when it comes to knives. What does it mean when it says partially serrated edge? and do i want that? I said the Vapor II was like $30 dollars. Thanks

Comment

partially serrated edge?

Brising...I'm clueless about a lot of things also, but I know a bit about knives.

Blade serrations are -- basically -- when the blade isn't straight. This helps in cutting through certain types of materials (like seat belts.)

http://www.innovativetactical.com/ca...k4b25a3r09.jpg
          The knife on top is partially serrated while the knife on the bottom is not serrated at all.

http://www.innovativetactical.com/ca...k4b25a3r06.jpg
          Here the knife on top is completely serrated while the knife on the bottom is completely unserrated.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Brising, a partial serration is when the bottom half of the blade leading towards the edge of the finger guard has a serration on it like a steak knife, for sawing like cuts, and then the rest of the blade leading to the tip is straight.

And if you have the ability to get a Kershaw Vapor II, for 30 bucks, take that in a heartbeat, you'll not regret it, but to make sure its not a fraudulent blade, check the the blade on the left side, and look for the KAI marking, and "Designed: By Ken Onion" the code on the knife should read 1650. The stainless version is more prone to rusting, Its one of the few knives I suggest the black titanium finish on, and not just for looks, the extra coating keeps stuff off.

If you need more help, or found a knife that interests you, I can give you the skivvy on it.
            The right man in the wrong place, can make all the difference.

Comment

thanks guys.. so im guessing i should get a partially serrated one then for seatbelts as well as the law enforcement duties? what do you think? thanks again

Comment

How much do you want to spend? I admit, I like my knives and my guns and have a bunch of each. For the past few years I have carried an Emerson "Commander" model with the "Wave" feature. This is a little hook on the outside of the blade which catches on your pocket edge and opens the blade as you pull it out. I carry it in my right sap pocket and it works great. The blade is 1/2 serrated 1/2 straight, and I've cut more than 1 seatbelt with it. The blade is nice and heavy, and I've used it to open a few windows and pry a couple of doors as well. The handles are G-10 laminate and will hold up to anything.

This knife is expensive, but like any good tool, you get what you pay for. My current trainee bought a Smith&Wesson "tactical" knife for $25. It lasted about a month and fell to pieces.
                Carpe Noctem

Comment

I've got a HK/Benchmade partially serrate auto - $100 on line from BladeHQ. I think it was a good deal and I really like the knife. It is american made, all metal, the blade holds an edge well, fast and easy to open with practice and it locks up tight. Overall it is a very solid feeling, well-made knife and I recommend anybody looking for a duty knife to check it out.

BTW, in my experience the S&W knives are crap.

Comment

Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn Folder
                    The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

Anyone know anything about the SOG Flash II with the automatic push button opening or whatever it is?

Comment

Ths SOG is ok, it doesn't have a great track record for reliability though. If you are sold on an auto, stick with the Benchmades, or go for some of the "semi-custom" jobs from Masters of Defense (granted, they look a bit, um, strange) or my personal favorite, ProTech. I own 2 ProTech's, a "Godfather" and a TR3 tactical style. ProTech are great, last forever and the company backs their products to the hilt.
                        Carpe Noctem

Comment

Originally posted by EMVAMPYRE
                          Ths SOG is ok, it doesn't have a great track record for reliability though. If you are sold on an auto, stick with the Benchmades, or go for some of the "semi-custom" jobs from Masters of Defense (granted, they look a bit, um, strange) or my personal favorite, ProTech. I own 2 ProTech's, a "Godfather" and a TR3 tactical style. ProTech are great, last forever and the company backs their products to the hilt.

Thanks a lot. I'm not really sold on anything. I should be starting this or next week, and I know there is a knife store actually in my future jurisdiction, so I think I'm just going to head over there and see what's up. Definately not stuck on an auto (I've never used one), just something that won't fall apart the first time I try to clean off a VIN.

Comment

For hard use ie: scraping and prying, go for the Benchmades or the Emersons, they have heavy blades that last. Spyderco's are nice, but thin, piointy blades who's tips like to break off.
                            Carpe Noctem

Comment

...edited...
                              Last edited by christuan; 05-29-2007, 01:19 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6257 users online. 314 members and 5943 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X